ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 1:53am
Originally posted by cutterjohn cutterjohn wrote:

There's a 2.20 BIOS listed on the download page.  Changelog is useless, so I'm going to guess bug fixes but that's a relatively big versioning change for simply bugfixes... 'change''log' just says AGESA 1.0.0.4a...

[EDIT]
I'm also going w/just bugfixes as there were no betas this time around either... the 2.20 is a RELEASE apparently...

I SERIOUSLY wish that these mobo ODMs would take changelogs more seriously.  Not a SINGLE one of them provides ANY USEFUL changelogs which is OK when it's a mature BIOS and is only getting minor changes, e.g. CPU SKU support added, etc.
[/EDIT]

dont get excited

its literally just change a string of info so that hwinfo says 1004 and not 1003
same bios just had basically a text editor rewrite a line LOL
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
cutterjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

There's a 2.20 BIOS listed on the download page.  Changelog is useless, so I'm going to guess bug fixes but that's a relatively big versioning change for simply bugfixes... 'change''log' just says AGESA 1.0.0.4a...

[EDIT]
I'm also going w/just bugfixes as there were no betas this time around either... the 2.20 is a RELEASE apparently...

I SERIOUSLY wish that these mobo ODMs would take changelogs more seriously.  Not a SINGLE one of them provides ANY USEFUL changelogs which is OK when it's a mature BIOS and is only getting minor changes, e.g. CPU SKU support added, etc.
[/EDIT]

dont get excited

its literally just change a string of info so that hwinfo says 1004 and not 1003
same bios just had basically a text editor rewrite a line LOL
well I flashed it this morning and yes, they DID indeed do some bug fixing as well as correcting the AGESA string... loading of profiles functions again w/o having to clear CMOS first.

Not sure if there were any other bugs as that was the only one that I noticed and last time I was monkeying I didn't want to do too much with what seemed to be a half baked BIOS...

Tried for higher RAM clocks on my 2x16GB Hynix again, no go even w/Vcore @ 1.1V load line at level 2 and pretty loose timings 26-28-28-28-56 2T, but 2400 still works great with all on auto...

still a regression in performance for me from 1.93D which I could hit 2667 1T.  I probably could've gone higher but today was the first time I tried monkeying around with the voltages... the 2667 was all auto...
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:33pm
Changed thread topic to include v2.2, as there seems to be little changed between 2 and 2.2.

I think I'm going to give it a whirl to see if they fixed the Restart to UEFI issue..
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 11:13pm
1800X @ 4000
F4-3200C14D-16GFX x 2 (16GB) @ 3200
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB / M.2_1
Windows 10 Pro 64bit / v.1607 b.14393.1066

v2.0

BIOS / Instant Flash

Still having trouble with Restart to UEFI (ver:1.0.5). Same behavior that was present in previous BIOS: prior to loading the ASRock splash screen, the computer restarts again and boots as normal.

One *interesting* little difference I noticed was a reduction in boot time of about ~3 seconds. I've been going off of the time reported in Task Manager, so who knows if that is accurate or not, but I'm still glad to see a smaller number reported there. 14.4 seconds (v2.2) vs 17.7+ seconds (<=v2.0). Getting awfully close to my 8350's ~12 seconds.

EDIT: I'm also noticing now that the modest overclock (4Ghz) seems to functional now. Used to be that it rarely hit full speed, normally hanging around ~3.7Ghz. Now it pops between 3,999.9 and 4,001.0, but has yet to drop below those numbers. I'll have to wait and see if that makes a difference in any real world scenarios, but the temps seem great so far: min @ 30.4°C and max @ 45.1°C. I haven't stressed it, just opened HWiNFO64 and then Google Chrome.

NOTE: I could probably reduce it further by disabling more startup objects, but I don't think that lends to fair comparison between FX and Ryzen startup times (which has been a pain point of mine since upgrading to Ryzen). In truth, when it was 20+ seconds, I did go in and disable some things that I almost never use, but if I needed to get under 10 seconds, I probably could.

Edited by twf85 - 07 May 2017 at 11:26pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:44am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

1800X @ 4000
F4-3200C14D-16GFX x 2 (16GB) @ 3200
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB / M.2_1
Windows 10 Pro 64bit / v.1607 b.14393.1066

v2.0

BIOS / Instant Flash

Still having trouble with Restart to UEFI (ver:1.0.5). Same behavior that was present in previous BIOS: prior to loading the ASRock splash screen, the computer restarts again and boots as normal.

One *interesting* little difference I noticed was a reduction in boot time of about ~3 seconds. I've been going off of the time reported in Task Manager, so who knows if that is accurate or not, but I'm still glad to see a smaller number reported there. 14.4 seconds (v2.2) vs 17.7+ seconds (<=v2.0). Getting awfully close to my 8350's ~12 seconds.

EDIT: I'm also noticing now that the modest overclock (4Ghz) seems to functional now. Used to be that it rarely hit full speed, normally hanging around ~3.7Ghz. Now it pops between 3,999.9 and 4,001.0, but has yet to drop below those numbers. I'll have to wait and see if that makes a difference in any real world scenarios, but the temps seem great so far: min @ 30.4°C and max @ 45.1°C. I haven't stressed it, just opened HWiNFO64 and then Google Chrome.

NOTE: I could probably reduce it further by disabling more startup objects, but I don't think that lends to fair comparison between FX and Ryzen startup times (which has been a pain point of mine since upgrading to Ryzen). In truth, when it was 20+ seconds, I did go in and disable some things that I almost never use, but if I needed to get under 10 seconds, I probably could.

The long Ryzen startup time is all POST, the actual booting of Windows, particularly from a cold start/shutdown situation is very fast, depending upon the OS drive.

If you disable the Full Screen Logo option in the UEFI, and enable the POST beep option and have a POST beep speaker in the board, you can see that for yourself.

With Full Screen Logo disabled, I see a few POST codes shown on the screen. Before that is the relatively long delay before anything is shown on the monitor. My X370 Killer SLI/ac board then shows code A0 for several seconds, occasionally showing A9, and then code 99.

Right after that, I get the POST Ok single beep. I then see the Windows 10 icon for a second or so, but no spinning circle of dots. That quickly fades out into the Desktop. Again that is starting from a Windows shutdown. Restarts are the same, except Win 10 Fast Startup is not active (which is normal) and I see the circle of spinning dots for a few seconds. That's with a 960 EVO as the OS drive.

I just disabled Microsoft OneDrive in Task Manager, Startup, so I'll see if that makes a difference. Otherwise I have nothing in Startup. My "Last BIOS Time" is 19.x seconds, so you have me beat. Wink

twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:58am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Right after that, I get the POST Ok single beep. I then see the Windows 10 icon for a second or so, but no spinning circle of dots. That quickly fades out into the Desktop. Again that is starting from a Windows shutdown. Restarts are the same, except Win 10 Fast Startup is not active (which is normal) and I see the circle of spinning dots for a few seconds. That's with a 960 EVO as the OS drive.

I just disabled Microsoft OneDrive in Task Manager, Startup, so I'll see if that makes a difference. Otherwise I have nothing in Startup. My "Last BIOS Time" is 19.x seconds, so you have me beat. Wink

CSM Support disabled? Secure Boot enabled?

EDIT: I ask because I feel like my BIOS settings were kept intact between 1.6 and 2.0, as I don't recall having to reset some things.. But I definitely had to go through and reset everything after the jump from 2.0 to 2.2. Even my Saved settings were cleared.

Edited by twf85 - 08 May 2017 at 1:02am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

CSM Support disabled? Secure Boot enabled?

EDIT: I ask because I feel like my BIOS settings were kept intact between 1.6 and 2.0, as I don't recall having to reset some things.. But I definitely had to go through and reset everything after the jump from 2.0 to 2.2. Even my Saved settings were cleared.
IIRC from 1.20-1.50 mine were NOT kept intact.  They reset to defaults(apparently).

DEFINITELY not going from 1.50->1.93D->2.0->2.20.  EVERYTHING was reset to 'defaults'.

Same as what happens when you make SOME BIOS changes.  It's INCREDIBLY IRRITATING since it's utterly SENSELESS that they do that FFS! e.g. I can't think of a single BIOS option other than say maybe the XMP settings OR maybe a preset overclock that they would go and make changes elsewhere in BIOS settings and worse setting them back to default?! That's utterly moronic.  I FULLY EXPECT changes that I make to stick UNLESS I CHANGE them or RESET CMOS or otherwise pick e.g. optimized defaults or one of the other settings that one could LOGICALLY expect to make wholesale changes to BIOS settings when selected...

Also profiles for me have been cleared out in every BIOS update, but I'm guessing that's at least partially because of the BIOS is in such a state of flux ATM that it's makes no sense to preserve them and secondly that the BIOS is likely one big partition and the ENTIRE thing just gets overwritten 'freshly' w/ea. new update.  It's be nice IF they EVENTUALLY partitioned off the profile storage area separately and/or somehow made it optional to wipe profiles once things stabilize.  UEFI is even more of an 'OS' than the old style BIOS was, so it should be fairly easy to implement, hell they could PROBABLY even make an importer of OLD profiles if something changed and profiles needed to be updated, but I guess that they'd have to pay AMI more for that work as I doubt ANY of these ODM REALLY and TRULY do much of their own BIOS development and fully expect that it's AMI guys out doing most of the work.  Although I have worked for companies that have essentially made their own x86 custom PCBs and we had a guy that was doing our BIOS w/support from AMI so I guess it's possible that these ODMs do more than adding their skinning... especially since they do design their own boards -> decent engineers who should be perfectly capable of doing the BIOS as well if they had to.  (I stayed away from that as the entire project was a freaking half---ed rush job.  Amazing that it worked out as well as it did w/the prototypes/test systems especially given that there were ALOT of custom addon boards as well...)

Funny thing is that our BIOS had more options available than something like 90% of notebooks that I see(and some OEM prebuilt desktops) but I suspect that was more of a case of not wanting to monkey too deeply with the BIOS as much as anything else...

Edited by cutterjohn - 08 May 2017 at 11:27pm
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:29am

I FULLY EXPECT changes that I make to stick UNLESS I CHANGE them or RESET CMOS or otherwise pick e.g. optimized defaults or one of the other settings that one could LOGICALLY expect to make wholesale changes to BIOS settings when selected...

For me, when I'm programming, I often change things around as a project evolves. Naming conventions, for example, often evolve as the scope of a project expands. I can see why they wouldn't want to risk boot-looping someone's system with an invalid selection/value or incomplete configuration, so they just default the update behavior to reset everything. Fewer calls to tech support / RMA's.

I get what you're saying though. If I had a spent hours customizing my settings, that would really tick me off. Especially given the number of updates since launch.

I think it would be wise to hold off on that level of customization until they've solved a lot of the basic problems people are experiencing, namely RAM compatibility (which if I recall correctly, is one of your major issues, currently).

This whole Ryzen launch sort of reminds me of when I went on a 8-month "vacation", courtesy of the Arizona Department of Corrections. The entire time I was there, the situation never sunk in. My mind wouldn't accept it, so I'd often complain about being treated like less than a person. To which someone around me would always say, "You're in prison, dude".

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."

We're all along for the ride at this point, no sense complaining about it.

Edited by twf85 - 09 May 2017 at 1:33am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:45pm
2.30 BIOS up for d/l on site.  Just mentions 'enhanced' OC options for 'advanced' OCer...

anyone try it yet? d/ling now, might just install it later hoping for better memory 'OC'ing...

[EDIT]
I'm going to guess that this is about the same as the 2.30 that came out for the Taichi yesterday(?)...

IIRC there are some additional bug fixes and things in it as well... probably worth flashing so I'll be giving it a shot later on this morning...
[/EDIT]

Edited by cutterjohn - 16 May 2017 at 7:47pm
mosawo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosawo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:20pm
Is it AGESA 1006 or not?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
  Share Topic