ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 2:40am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

When we have a BIOS with the new microcode, I'll give that whirl. All I really care about now is reducing my startup times and system stability. I'm beginning to doubt that we'll see 3600 on the first iteration of Zen. They'll probably use that as a selling point for Zen+ to try and lure some of the early adopters away from 1st gen, so I think I've taken this system as far as it can *safely* go (apart from upgrading to a 960 Pro, but SSD prices are skyrocketing right now and I doubt that will change anytime soon).
I can't really say if my 1800x is running warmer or not as the temps are fairly warm today c. 83F so they were already running a bit warmer.

Also didn't help me w/memory at all apparently (2x16GB ripjawv) as I can still only do 2400 whereas 1.93D and below happily did 2667 w/o monkeying w/voltages which I have NOT yet tried WITH 2.30, just monkeyed with timings after trying XMP right OOB again. Tried 2667 after XMP, but gave up and went back to 2400 which thankfully still worked.

[EDIT]
TEMPS: I'm NOT seeing higher idle temps even w/elevated ambient beyond what I had been reading earlier which are, obviously higher v. c. 70F ambient HOWEVER I AM using an H110i AIO which MAY be the difference although it's set to it's 'quiet' setting as I've found that that setting performs well enough even under HEAVY stress testing v. higher settings being relatively 'noisy'.
[/EDIT]

Ryzen 7.  I'm bailing for threadripper.  AMD made a major FUBAR w/ the low-mid range chips IMNHO. ALL of the 6/8C X chips SHOULD have been quad channel memory/28 PCIe lanes to TRULY differentiate them from the 'lesser' non-'X' chips. FURTHER I think that they should've not gone Ryzen 3 w/o SMT and SHOULD have made the 4C/8T chips the 3s w/the non-X 6/8C as the 5s.

NB I COULD see 4C/4T being ubercheap OEM tray parts but in the wild they lose ANY advantage Ryzen has which is more cores and somewhat more efficient(apparently) SMT v. mythical intel parts at similar clock/IPC/etc, i.e. everything else being 'equal'...  They can only be dirt cheap BUT Intel has dirt cheap as well which tend to end up aligning to latest core design -> better IPC w/same cores plus price parity or less. I do NOT think that vega as the IGP would make enough of a difference v. Intel HD to warrant lower IPC as these things tend to go into e.g. HTPC where if they can decode codec of the month they're good to go and noone mostly cares about it can run quake or whatever at 1E06 FPS v. merely 7E05 FPS as long as it decodes that codec @ 60FPS(or 30 or whatever) at some stupidly high resolution... (yes something I find like FPS beyond a point, it becomes why? just to brag about?)

i.e. IMNHO AMD did an extremely poor job differentiating the low end and to an extent they're doing it again with threadripper/epyc as the ONLY difference ATM seems to be one one socket for threadripper v. potentially multiple for epyc.  Have to see if there are any socket changes as well since I read in one place yes slightly different but haven't seen that anywhere else yet.

16C was what I was really planning on anyways, and I guess that I spent too much for a test system HOWEVER at pre-order I REALLY expected SOMETHING EXTRA from the Xs that they hadn't bothered to mention, but nope... nadathing...  Shortest lasting build that I think that I have ever built as I don't even think that I'm going to keep the 7 around for a server since I have the x79 already earmarked for that role and it's just better equipped overall, only missing USB 3.1 but who cares on a server? Which is VASTLY outweighed by it's I/O capabilities... still...  (Intel made the X series too good ...)

Be nice to be back to good ol' LGA again as well...

Edited by cutterjohn - 18 May 2017 at 6:54am
cutterjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 8:48am
You're right something is NOT RIGHT with 2.30 BIOS. I just got a WHEA w/a NOT VERY DEMANDING GAME AND I have noticed in hwinfo 551 latest beta inexplicable temperature spikes on the CPU which I'm going to guess are related to the WHEA.

I'm REALLY REGRETTING NOT waiting for a C6H as VRMs aren't a thing so much for Ryzen... and... I'm regretting NOT waiting for naple/'epyc' since I'm going there anyways given the craptacular low-mid range I/O... yeah SOME people MIGHT be OK w/the low-mid range chipsets, but TBH it's less than what my Intel notebooks offer from 3y ago FFS! I REALLY HOPR that AMD gets their heads out of their ---es going forward and don't gimp I/O so much for their mobile chipsets AND RETHINKS their low-mid range desktop chipsets as their ridiculously gimped. OK I could take them as ultra low end but not beyond that, but maybe I've been spiled by Intel X and Z range chipsets which are ALL that I used when AMD INSISTED on faildozer...

[EDIT]
AMD's gonna fscked if these clown suppliers continue their half---edly support for threadripper and MORE IMPORTANTLY epyc... we're WAY past the point where this crap should still be happening as CLEARLY the CPUs are stable but the half---ed support is killing it
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
REGRESSED to 2.20 BIOS SAME SETTINGsS(BIOS) SAME game NO PROBLEMS. 2.30 BIOS SHOULD BE an ALPHA release as it offers NOTHING other than INSTABILITY and INEXPLICABLE temperature SPIKES.

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED with these lowend chipsets which TBH is what they are given the I/O paucity v. intel notebooks that have MORE i/O.  Someone at AMD needs to have their head examined or at least removed from their --- IMNHO.

It's more than enough to make me leery of epyc given the poor chipset and ancillary support...
[/EDIT2]

Edited by cutterjohn - 20 May 2017 at 9:50am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by cutterjohn cutterjohn wrote:

[QUOTE=twf85]I can't really say if my 1800x is running warmer or not as the temps are fairly warm today c. 83F so they were already running a bit warmer.

83f is warm? Tongue Heck, already, our nighttime temps are hovering around 70f !
https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USAZ0005:1:US

I too am holding out for Threadripper. Epyc is far above anything I need, or would possibly make use of. Me? A 2 socket Epyc server board? Ha! Something I'll never say "But Honey. I need this $3500 to populate the memory slots on my server board."

The 1500X I settled on until Threadripper is a fair price vs performance point of the current Ryzen lineup.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:39am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by cutterjohn cutterjohn wrote:

[QUOTE=twf85]I can't really say if my 1800x is running warmer or not as the temps are fairly warm today c. 83F so they were already running a bit warmer.

83f is warm? Tongue Heck, already, our nighttime temps are hovering around 70f !
https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USAZ0005:1:US

I too am holding out for Threadripper. Epyc is far above anything I need, or would possibly make use of. Me? A 2 socket Epyc server board? Ha! Something I'll never say "But Honey. I need this $3500 to populate the memory slots on my server board."

The 1500X I settled on until Threadripper is a fair price vs performance point of the current Ryzen lineup.
Anyways ran Intel burn test for 50 iterations, max 40C w/h110i corsair carbide 600r (top mount PSU inverted case).

[EDIT]
I REGRET buying the low end Ryzens BUT AMD did NOT AT ALL make it clear that they would offer anything better beyond Naples.

TBH I ran out of I/O on the lowend on day 1, and pulled out my 2 haswell based notebooks the other day to update/charge/maintenance(usually on use when travelling nowadays as hybrids are good enough outdoors w/ desktops handy for anything serious) and realized that the even 13" (both Sagers w/dGPUs BTW i7-4800MQs) had nearly as much I/O as the X370 and was limited simply by available space, e.g. 4xUSB3, 2x2.5" bays, 2xm.2 slots, 4xDDR3 slots, card reader, misc. video/audio I/O.  The 15" adds optical bay, 2 additional 2.5" hdd bays to and IIRC an additional 2xUSB3, dGPU in this one is MXM slot(13" is soldered to board both x16).

Clearly the low-mid end Ryzen was COMPLETELY geared towards notebooks/hybrid base design although I shudder to think of them further reducing I/O for notebooks/hybrids although vega iGPU v. Intel HD iGPU would be nice ... but I suspect not enough to TRULY make a difference for hybrids as even non Iris Pro Intel iGPUs are getting pretty good(not up to a dGPU but WAY better than 945/950/etc.) and have ALWAYS been good at video(something I've only used for HTPC though).

I'm REALLY hoping that Asrock's X399 mobo that they just anounced is Intel 'X' series level worthy and similarly for X399 boards from other mfgs as TBH I am THOROUGHLY UNIMPRESSED by X370 and below as to me they're on par with high end Intel mobile chipsets/CPUs and NOT even close to 'Z' series Intel midrange.  For that matter as far as I/O goes they're even a stepdown from the old 990FX chipset.  I THOUGHT that I could work around such paltry I/O but I was wrong, which I should've guessed coming the incredibly RICH I/O of Intel 'X' series on my primary desktop and hell even my 9590 990FX(extreme9 not much choice for 9590) build although BOTH only had more recent I/O BUT only from addon support chips.

I suppose that additionally from experience back in the day w/Athlon64 that I REALLY should NOT have been surprised w/the chipsets as even though back then there were several chipset OEMs, nVidia, ATI, VIA, AMD, etc. ALL of them had shortcomings in some fashion. nVidia was the one that I had the most experience w/and their onboard networking was always a dud in that particular case. ATI had, SURPRISE, driver problems, etc.

ah enough of a rant, maybe I can make a decent portion of the $$$ back from the 1800X, fatal1ty pro, and current memory kits on ebay as I've no use for a Ryzen 7 given that my 'X' series Intel is already slated to retirement as a server and the Ryzen is overkill for another >=6 core spare machine.  This time I think that I've learnt my lesson and will WAIT to see how things like memory support, etc. go as apparently even AGESA 1.0.0.6 is NOT a panacea for Hynix/double sided memory kits BUT it would be nice to be able to add on the ebay listing 2993+ RAM capable kits as I think that I'm just going to bundle it all together so as not to waste any more time on this platform. (I REALLY was NOT expecting so many problems with memory support as 990FX/A88X etc. all went pretty well OC'ing memory out of the box... even X79 and up did better...)
[/EDIT]

Edited by cutterjohn - 25 May 2017 at 9:48pm
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 1:22am
1800X @ 4000 / 1.375V / LLC 4 & 3
F4-3200C14D-16GFX x 2 (16GB) @ 3200 / 1.35V
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB / M.2_1
Windows 10 Pro 64bit / v.1703 b.15063.332

v2.2 -> v2.4

BIOS / Instant Flash

The temperature issues I noticed in 2.3 have disappeared. Hovering around ~30-40°C now. So that's a step in the right direction ;)

Still no progress on the boot up issue. Still fails during the first try, so Restart to UEFI does not work.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 4:59am
twf85, I have not been following your Restart to UEFI problem, so please fill me in with the "fails during the first try".  Could this be the tuning* going on during boot?  Have you tried disabling the tuning, or is this a bad idea?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  *I should have called this "Advanced Boot Training".

Edited by MisterJ - 10 Jun 2017 at 5:05am
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 7:36am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

twf85, I have not been following your Restart to UEFI problem, so please fill me in with the "fails during the first try".  Could this be the tuning* going on during boot?  Have you tried disabling the tuning, or is this a bad idea?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  *I should have called this "Advanced Boot Training".

I have never really had a need to try that.. not with these FlareX sticks. At least, not to get the system to boot/function at max speed. I paid the premium for them so I wouldn't have to mess with a bunch of settings.

Should I poke around in there? What would I be looking to change?
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 7:59am
twf85, I generally do not mess around in the BIOS but I noticed that my memory timings were 18-18-18 instead of 16-16-16 like they were supposed to be.  I suspect this was the "training".  You did not say what you meant by "Still fails during the first try", but I thought it may be the boot training.  It seems most are trying to disable it to reduce boot time.  I have not tried it at all.  Restart to UEFI works fine for me.  If you think this may be useful, I suggest give it a try.  Enjoy, John.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 11:24am
My apologies..

When powering the computer on, or restarting it, I can hear the fans spin up. My monitors will sometimes blink on as well (just the little power light indicators changing from Orange to Blue). Then, the fans die off almost entirely, and the monitors revert back to Standby mode (waiting for input). Then the fans whir up again, the monitors indicate they've received a signal, and the computer boots as normal.

The best way I can describe it is a "stutter" start. Comes on, tries to start, fails, tries again and succeeds.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 10:08pm
well, 2.40 is out and I cannot get 3200 stable (just tried default XMP AND gear down disable/2T CR(it defaults to 1T)).  It will do one of the following: 2x16GB G.skil hynix kit listed MUCH earlier in the thread
(a) NOT post code 0x54 or 0x47
(b) post, get to BIOS USB UI devices stop responding
(c) make it to windows and AGAIN USB UI devices stop responding

I'm going to guess that it probably needs a bit more voltage somewhere to be stable...

2933 XMP settings 1T passed 4 passes of max Intel burn test, and multiple cinebench runs...

Have YET to try the 2x16GB (HYNIX) WITH my 2x8GB Samsung(Tridentz but not 'B' die apparently). I am semi hopeful this will work but at this point with threadripper and X399 imminent I really don't care much about the low-mid range any longer...

That said THIS is the BEST IMPROVEMENT for me from 1.20 onwards, even given the general BIOS flakiness.

BIOS hung when I turned on SVM and disabled legacy CSM. IF I do them individually, i.e. exit BIOS/'reboot'(post) they'll take w/o hanging... PITA but 2.36 was the same.  I'm betting that they just changed the version number on the beta BIOS and called it 'release'(2.40)...

That said the 'flakiness' seems to be restricted to the UEFI UI, as windows seems as stable as ever for me, but I have NOT yet booted Antergos.

Now if ASROCK would just release more solid specs about their X399 fatal1ty I could determine Zenith Extreme or the Fatal1ty X399... hopefully this guinea pigging of the low-mid range Ryzens allows EPYC and threadripper to be more stable on launch, as I STILL do NOT use this machine as a production machine.  I'd be happy to now BUT the UEFI UI flakiness gives me the heebie jeebies...

[EDIT]
I FORGOT to check but I've read that SoC NOW DEFAULTS to 1.1V WITH XMP.  IIRC Gigabyte is DEFAULTING to 1.25V SoC w/their AGESA .6 BIOS, so maybe the SoC voltage needs to be upped a bit for me to have stable USB devices.  The USB are connected to the USB2 mobo header to case connectors... (Corsair carbide 600R... gonna miss this case but while big it has ridiculously limited hdd housing for being so ginormous...so back to a traditional bottom mounted PSU setup...)
[/EDIT]

Edited by cutterjohn - 10 Jun 2017 at 10:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
  Share Topic