ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Fatal1ty Gaming Professional - [BIOS v2.x]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 12:13am
Originally posted by cutterjohn cutterjohn wrote:

Have YET to try the 2x16GB (HYNIX) WITH my 2x8GB Samsung(Tridentz but not 'B' die apparently)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to use the same memory (speed, capacity, etc) in concert with one another?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 12:33am

Have YET to try the 2x16GB (HYNIX) WITH my 2x8GB Samsung(Tridentz but not 'B' die apparently). I am semi hopeful this will work ..........

I'm putting my money squarely on that NOT working.
Mojobaggins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojobaggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 12:46am
With the new 2.4 bios, I am finally able to get my G.Skill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX to run at 3333mhz at CL14-14-14-34 using the XMP settings wtih my R7 1700 at 3.9ghz.

One thing I did set to Level 1 both CPU Load-Line Calibration and VDDCR Load-Line Calibration.

Using bios 2.3, I was able to get the ram to run at 3200mhz only if I didn't have my cpu overclocked.  CPU overclocked with bios 2.3, I could only get my ram up to 2933.

My one huge complaint is the lack of system information on the bios splash screen.  In every computer I've owned for the last 30 years, the American Megatrends bios splash screen provided you with system information saving you from having to DEL into the bios or log into Windows to find out.  My first and probably last AsRock motherboard just for this reason.

Edited by Mojobaggins - 11 Jun 2017 at 12:58am
Mojobaggins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojobaggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 12:52am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

My apologies..

When powering the computer on, or restarting it, I can hear the fans spin up. My monitors will sometimes blink on as well (just the little power light indicators changing from Orange to Blue). Then, the fans die off almost entirely, and the monitors revert back to Standby mode (waiting for input). Then the fans whir up again, the monitors indicate they've received a signal, and the computer boots as normal.

The best way I can describe it is a "stutter" start. Comes on, tries to start, fails, tries again and succeeds.

That's your system restarting itself after failing to post at the DRAM settings that you have set it at.  Unless you go into DRAM Timings Configuration to change the Fail Count, the system will try 3 times before defaulting back to 2400mhz.
cutterjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutterjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 3:32am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Have YET to try the 2x16GB (HYNIX) WITH my 2x8GB Samsung(Tridentz but not 'B' die apparently). I am semi hopeful this will work ..........

I'm putting my money squarely on that NOT working.
Why not? It's 2 bank, the 16 on one and the 8s on the other, but yeah, I have a suspicion that it won't work with Ryzen given how finicky it is...

That said I had a mixed setup on an ASUS X79 board that worked fine for me... I was running 4x8GB and 4x4GB(original RAM) for a while...
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Mojobaggins Mojobaggins wrote:

With the new 2.4 bios, I am finally able to get my G.Skill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX to run at 3333mhz at CL14-14-14-34 using the XMP settings wtih my R7 1700 at 3.9ghz.

Glad to hear you've made some progress!

My one huge complaint is the lack of system information on the bios splash screen.  In every computer I've owned for the last 30 years, the American Megatrends bios splash screen provided you with system information saving you from having to DEL into the bios or log into Windows to find out.  My first and probably last AsRock motherboard just for this reason.

I think there's a way to disable the ASRock splash screen, which would enable the AM screen.. I'm not sure, but that might show what you're looking for.

That's your system restarting itself after failing to post at the DRAM settings that you have set it at.  Unless you go into DRAM Timings Configuration to change the Fail Count, the system will try 3 times before defaulting back to 2400mhz.

The problem with that explanation..  

Edited by twf85 - 11 Jun 2017 at 10:24pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:33pm

That said I had a mixed setup on an ASUS X79 board that worked fine for me... I was running 4x8GB and 4x4GB(original RAM) for a while...

I'd have to get parsec in here to give the technical nomenclature for what and why Intel can do that.

Rest assured, AMD doesn't play as nice with this supposed mem set up.

Don't get me wrong, you're free to try. I'm only voicing my past experiences and knowledge. I'd love dearly to hear you succeed.Wink
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:51pm

Nevermind. Disabling "Full Screen Logo" will only show you what UEFI version you're on. Not RAM/CPU speed info. That was what you were after, right?

Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Could this be the tuning* going on during boot?  Have you tried disabling the tuning, or is this a bad idea?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  *I should have called this "Advanced Boot Training".

..I suspect this was the "training".  You did not say what you meant by "Still fails during the first try", but I thought it may be the boot training.  It seems most are trying to disable it to reduce boot time.  I have not tried it at all.  Restart to UEFI works fine for me.  If you think this may be useful, I suggest give it a try.  Enjoy, John.

Well, wouldn't you know it. Bingo-presto..! You were right. Disabling AM4 Advanced Boot Training did the trick. I can use Restart to UEFI now! Not only that, but my boot times have dropped from 14.4 to 12.1 seconds. That's right around the startup time of my 8350. It's still nowhere near the startup time of my laptop, but it's progress in the right direction ;) THANK YOU!

What in the world was that meant to help with? Does it matter, considering the system was failing to start with it enabled?
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 11:47pm
You are welcome, twf85.  I think Training is to try for a more reliable system by lessening memory errors.  In general, I would think an OCer would want to turn it off and assure stability by memory and stress testing.  Glad it worked for you.  Enjoy, John.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 12:11am
I've never been one for stress testing.. I will at times have Adobe Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere open all at once. Normally accompanied by 20+ browser tabs (Chrome), Spotify, Notepad++, Outlook, and the Calculator. If it were to crash, I would go in and make adjustments.

I'm now thinking this isn't the best strategy. Even though I've conditioned myself to save my work frequently, it would be better, if for only the sake of my peace of mind, that I ran a stress test. What do you normally use?

Edited by twf85 - 12 Jun 2017 at 12:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic