ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Could BIOS settings cause stuttering?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could BIOS settings cause stuttering?
    Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 6:49pm
Hi all,

I have had persistent stuttering over 10 months since I purchased this machine.

This is after changing every single component at least 3 times. Removing components. Reinstalling OS's (Windows 10 and Linux Mint) over different disks. Updating BIOS. Different monitors and setups. Different cables, refresh rates. It's across all games. 

I've tried many drivers. Disabling lots of services, etc.

I have tried stock settings in BIOS, locked clocks, different XMP profiles. Overclocking, underclocking, etc. Power plans.

Is there something painfully obvious that could be at play here? Also, if I was to try an AMD card rather than the 4 1060's I've tried (with many different drivers) and it persists, what might this indicate.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card 
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  -- not inserted
Monitor: Acer - XF240H 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor 
Monitor: Acer - XF240H 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor 

Could this be a BIOS thing? Even across 3-4 motherboards?

Edited by mpw90 - 30 Oct 2018 at 6:51pm
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 7:33pm
How exactly does this stuttering manifests itself? Where?

Did you try running HWIFO or similar tool while stuttering occurs?

Maybe it wise to install some Ubuntu and try some free games under OpenGL?
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2018 at 9:16pm
I have Linux Mint available to try this, based on Ubuntu, I believe.

The stuttering it hard to pin point. It can manifest itself out of no where. 

I already have CSV file from HWInfo64, which I have just looked at, and from what I can see, for some reason the GPU decides to:

downclock itself from 1949mhz to 1721mhz
downvolt from 1.05v to 0.881v

This causes the GPU to hit it's Utilisation Performance Limit. 

It does this for 10 seconds, despite the temperature being 58/59C and 37% load. 

These numbers are really low. I don't understand why it's trying to download when there's at least 37% load. Even the CPU is at around 25% usage. 

xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 2:59am
Very strange.

Could it be a bad BIOS flash? I've seen many ASRock boards here suffering from leftovers from previous BIOS flashes? Even on my old X370 Taichi I experienced this at some point.

Other things that come to mind - bad BCLK? Maybe some fluctuations in the BCLK is messing with the GPU? Maybe PCIe bus link state is also flunky?

P.S. I can't imagine 1060 when there are dirt cheap 580 or 570.
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2018 at 4:24am
Originally posted by xhue xhue wrote:

Very strange.

Could it be a bad BIOS flash? I've seen many ASRock boards here suffering from leftovers from previous BIOS flashes? Even on my old X370 Taichi I experienced this at some point.

Other things that come to mind - bad BCLK? Maybe some fluctuations in the BCLK is messing with the GPU? Maybe PCIe bus link state is also flunky?

P.S. I can't imagine 1060 when there are dirt cheap 580 or 570.

Over 5 x AB350m Pro4, and DS3H, I doubt it. 

I noticed after setting manual voltage curve on GPU that the GPU % drops by over 15%, and the Bus % drops by over 15% in sync with each other.

BCLK looks stable.
nanohead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 6:00am
What specifically do you mean by stuttering?  This could give some more insight into how to track down the cause.   If you're referring to in game problems, where it stops/starts at tiny intervals, there could be a number of causes of that.  I don't think I've ever seen it be a motherboard issue though, as the mobo has almost nothing to do with gameplay, other than providing the plumbing for the video card, memory and CPU to talk to each other.  And that's basically fixed in silicon (for the most part)

Generally the stock BIOS settings are fine for every day operation.  

Usually, these problems are caused by GPU software handshaking with its memory and the game itself.  I've seen it with both Nvidia (have a 1070Ti) and AMD (have had many, and now have an RX580).    I too use Linux Mint (on an old AM1 system, and an Intel Zotac sphere also!).   

Another potential source is I/O from the Disk/SSD.   I've seen there be situations where the SSD has a bad controller cache, and tries to fence it off, but it can't keep up and therefore produces stuttering while trying to keep up with the CPU or GPU asking for more data.  Have you tried running any disk test suites?   Sometimes, they can tell you things you may not have suspected.

Just last month, one of my Linux Mint machines (the trusty AM1), started stuttering, hanging and crashing.  It was odd, as I use it as a secondary work desktop, and its slow, but reliable.  Happened for several days, and ultimately it was a bad Intel SSD that caused the problem.   Lost some data unfortunately, but replaced the SSD, reinstalled, and all is well.

mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 8:00am
Originally posted by nanohead nanohead wrote:

What specifically do you mean by stuttering?  This could give some more insight into how to track down the cause.   If you're referring to in game problems, where it stops/starts at tiny intervals, there could be a number of causes of that.  I don't think I've ever seen it be a motherboard issue though, as the mobo has almost nothing to do with gameplay, other than providing the plumbing for the video card, memory and CPU to talk to each other.  And that's basically fixed in silicon (for the most part)

Generally the stock BIOS settings are fine for every day operation.  

Usually, these problems are caused by GPU software handshaking with its memory and the game itself.  I've seen it with both Nvidia (have a 1070Ti) and AMD (have had many, and now have an RX580).    I too use Linux Mint (on an old AM1 system, and an Intel Zotac sphere also!).   

Another potential source is I/O from the Disk/SSD.   I've seen there be situations where the SSD has a bad controller cache, and tries to fence it off, but it can't keep up and therefore produces stuttering while trying to keep up with the CPU or GPU asking for more data.  Have you tried running any disk test suites?   Sometimes, they can tell you things you may not have suspected.

Just last month, one of my Linux Mint machines (the trusty AM1), started stuttering, hanging and crashing.  It was odd, as I use it as a secondary work desktop, and its slow, but reliable.  Happened for several days, and ultimately it was a bad Intel SSD that caused the problem.   Lost some data unfortunately, but replaced the SSD, reinstalled, and all is well.

Hi, I can rule out the GPU, too because I just used an RX580 and it did it.

For more information (and sorry for the link, it's just I've explained this countless time to so many people), please visit this post here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1073706/geforce-1000-series/nvidia-boost-clock-voltage-changes-quite-clearly-causing-stuttering/

I have basically done everything, and there's a video attached. 

I do believe disk could be a cause, despite changing my SSD 2 times, and my HDD 2 times, and fresh installs, etc -- the thread may explain that.

So, I have used disk utilities to test, but it didn't reveal any problems. Is there any you would recommend?

I have literally changed everything. The stutter is a momentary pause in gameplay between 50ms and 250ms. I have plenty of screenshots, graphs and log data available.

I can see that disk operation does take place, the page file doesn't, but the GPU usage drops to 0%. The voltage and clock speed of the GPU also drops with both RX580 and 1060, after using DDU. Fresh installs, multiple games.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 11:31am
not sure for other games but i remember there was a time that csgo shuttering are related to CnQ or anything that changes frenquency

so things like disable cpu cnq and set nvidia gpu to maximum performance would fix it i'm not sure if this is still a fix for csgo 
mpw90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpw90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2018 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by gizmic gizmic wrote:

not sure for other games but i remember there was a time that csgo shuttering are related to CnQ or anything that changes frenquency

so things like disable cpu cnq and set nvidia gpu to maximum performance would fix it i'm not sure if this is still a fix for csgo 

Disabled already.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 2:33am
sooo basicly you gpu slows down for some unknow reason rite..
can u run in background latencymon, post picture during/after your issue?
also run userbenchmark and post link to your result

just a side note...i really doubt its GPU related...
baceause your GPU isnt fully utilised, so you get core frequency drops and gpu-z shows utilisation....thats normal power saving feature, it cant make u stutter, stutter would be constant changes of frequency, like every second...still if it would be GPU frequency related, u will have low frequency + alsmost 100% gpu usage, which u dont have soooo. your gpu is fine :)

Edited by kerberos_20 - 03 Nov 2018 at 2:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic