ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unable to get fatal1ty x99 to post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unable to get fatal1ty x99 to post
    Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 1:18am
Hi

Really really struggling with this one...

I have a x99 fatal1ty professional with an i7-5820k and 32gb (x4 8gb) corsair vengeance ddr4 2666mhz cmk32gx4m4a2666c16.

I can't get it it to post / get into uefi to do a bios update in case its a memory compatibility issue. The bios sticker says P1.10.

I tried getting a cheap 4gb ddr stick at a lower speed and have tried variations of A1, B1 etc etc and clearing the cmos every time.

I get Dr Debug codes 19, 60 and sometimes 67.

This is the second brand new board I have tried and just can't get it going!

I have tried stripping this down to the minimum set up but get the same dr debug codes.

I don't have the 12v 4 pin power plugged in but the others are.

Any suggestions please?!?!?!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 1:49am
By the sound of it, 1 of 2 things is the problem:

A bad CPU and or socket (bent pins?)
Possibly a bad PSU

All those errors are to do with either memory or chipset initialization. So those would be my primary culprits based on the fact this is your second board?

The CPU is supported from the earliest BIOS version and the RAM "cmk32gx4m4a2666c16" is listed as compatible on your memory QVL so compatibility isn't the issue here.

What power supply are you using and is it new or used?

Edited by Xaltar - 24 Dec 2016 at 1:50am
ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 5:15am
Hi

Brand new corsair 850 watt PSU.

I just put two of the 8gb sticks back in A1 and B1 and reset the bios. Now the machine powers on with dr debug codes 19 then 60 then the power cuts out and starts over. The little leds are indicating a ram issue.

Is there a way to flash the bios via a usb stick in a certain usb port? Some asrock boards support this but the documentation for this board doesnt mention it.

Edited by ahevans - 24 Dec 2016 at 5:19am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 6:31am
I see it as a mem issue too.

1. I don't see that Corsair offers any 32GB(4x8GB) 2666 Matched kits for this particular motherboard that they, Corsair, deem as compatible. 2x16GB matched kits yes. 4x8GB matched kits no.
http://www.corsair.com/en/memoryfinder

That isn't saying they are or are not compatible. Instead it may be an oversight on Corsairs part to include them, or, in fact they are not compatible.

Proceed to #2 below.

2. Your using A1 and B1 are not the correct mem slots to use on X99's when only two sticks are used. That leads me to believe you may might maybe be installing the four sticks in the wrong four slots.

Us men always respond better to pictures WinkTongue

Edited by wardog - 24 Dec 2016 at 6:32am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 6:51am
Originally posted by ahevans ahevans wrote:

Is there a way to flash the bios via a usb stick in a certain usb port? Some asrock boards support this but the documentation for this board doesnt mention it.

No. If you're thinking of "Crashless BIOS" feature that's a recovery if power loss occurs during flashing.

Instant Flash is available from the splash screen and within the BIOS(my preference).

Yet if it's not booting to either the splash or BIOS that's out too.

Let us know what happens whedn you get one stick in the correct slot as using one stick may ease any stress of these being incompatible till you can upflash the BIOS.

Too, concerning these are sticks listed on ASRocks own Memory QVL, consider mem manufacturers regularly change DRAM chips on sticks/Kits that may match the primary timings yet completely hose secondary and tertiary timings from one binned chip to another even while keeping the same part number.

ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 9:33pm
Interesting... first time I have seen that diagram so today I am taking the board out of the case and keeping just psu, cpu + cooling and ram and trying the configuration with the two types of ram.

Just tried one stick after clearing the cmos with battery out but the board fired up, showed 19 then 60, then powered off!
ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 11:39pm
Ok... so 1 stick in D1 of some cheap 4gb ddr4 see's the board cycle between 19, 60 and then 67
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 1:03am
Originally posted by ahevans ahevans wrote:

Ok... so 1 stick in D1 of some cheap 4gb ddr4 see's the board cycle between 19, 60 and then 67

X99's are notoriously finicky concerning memory.

Time to look on/at the mem manf's websites Memory Finder tools for some guaranteed compatible memory for it first before declaring something else at fault here.

I'll lead ya off with what G.Skill certifies themselves as compatible:
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2276&model=2326

ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 2:14am
Cheers, was just about to say I throw in the rag with the ram. This has been the most frustrating build I have done in nearly 20 years!

ahevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2016 at 2:23am
Does it really make any difference if its 2 or 4 sticks?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic