ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Fm2A58M-VGA3+ R2.0 Wont Turn on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Joker wild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Fm2A58M-VGA3+ R2.0 Wont Turn on.
    Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

You will want to set your hard disks to AHCI for optimum performance. When you turn on the PC you will want to press F11 during post and select a boot device, your external optical drive should be listed as a USB device.

Ok i did that, but its still not installing windows. The message reads: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 3:39pm
You will want to set your hard disks to AHCI for optimum performance. When you turn on the PC you will want to press F11 during post and select a boot device, your external optical drive should be listed as a USB device.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Joker wild Joker wild wrote:

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

BIOS > Advanced > Storage Configuration

Is your hard drive/SSD showing up beside SATA_1 _2 _3 or _4 ??
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">

yes sata 1&2  have the appropriate hard drives detected

ide mode if that matters

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

yes sata 1&2  have the appropriate hard drives detected
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 2:21pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 1:42pm
Ok. so the computer is posting now, and i have the graphical interface of the uefi set yup the way i want it. now when i go to install the operating system, it tells me i need to select an appropriate boot device. the DVD i have has windows 7 on it, and it is an external type DVD rom/DVD burner, but it doesn't seem to be able to install windows. ideas?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Rabiddog Rabiddog wrote:

I don't have a case, as I plan to build one out of Legos. Let me see if I understand you so far.

You're telling me that the psu acts more like a power strip, and to turn the device on, I have to use a separate switch entirely, a switch, that is usually supplied with a case purchased from any retailers, so in order to get the computer to post, I'll needs second switch in the same way I would if I had a tv plugged into a power strip?
Im sorry,but have you ever turned any computer on?
Have you ever used a switch on the back of a computer to turn it on?

Every time ive used a computer the switch has always been in the back. i've used the same one for a little over a decade, my cousin built it for me and he designed it so it wouldnt need to be upgraded for quite a while. i'm doing the same here He did a custom case and set the power button on the back next to the I/O. i plan to put the I/o on th efrnt this time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:12pm
Thank you all for the help and advice. I have a power button coming in on the 17th, and ill see if I can get it to post then, also thank you for the instructables link to the Lego PC case, that will help. I'll post an update soon
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 3:12pm
Actually, AT systems used turn on at the PSU but I have not seen one since first gen Pentiums  were current Smile

It is an easy thing to overlook if you are a new builder. Venturing into the world of system building for the first time can be daunting and in all likelihood you will make a few mistakes but each one you make will teach you something. Don't be discouraged and take each new thing you learn as a win.

Old PCs (pre Pentium 2) used to be AT form factor and would be turned on directly from the PSU or at least a switch connected to the PSU. This system was abandoned because it shunts a spike of power into the system every time you turn the power supply on. Around the time Pentiums gave way to Pentium II the ATX system currently in use was implemented commercially. ATX systems constantly have a small amount of power running through the system and are "powered up" by a switch that must be connected to the motherboard, this means less power spiking and better component longevity. 

If you look at the post where I posted the picture of the front panel header (the block of pins in the image) it should tell you all you need to know to power on the system and test it. For a first build I strongly recommend that you use a standard case rather than use a more creative medium. Once you have it all worked out in a normal case you can then build your Lego case and use the standard case for reference as to how many fan holes, vents and other essential cooling features you need to implement. 

Here is fairly comprehensive video tutorial on system building that should help you get a better understanding of not only how to put a PC together but also why it needs to be done this way.

If you do go ahead with building a  Lego case at some point I would love to see your progress on the build Thumbs Up 

Edited by Xaltar - 15 Nov 2015 at 3:24pm
Rabiddog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabiddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 12:17pm

I don't have a case, as I plan to build one out of Legos. Let me see if I understand you so far.

You're telling me that the psu acts more like a power strip, and to turn the device on, I have to use a separate switch entirely, a switch, that is usually supplied with a case purchased from any retailers, so in order to get the computer to post, I'll needs second switch in the same way I would if I had a tv plugged into a power strip?
Im sorry,but have you ever turned any computer on?
Have you ever used a switch on the back of a computer to turn it on?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic