ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670e Taichi Carrara Bios 3.10 problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670e Taichi Carrara Bios 3.10 problems
    Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 8:25pm
Hi Asrock,
recently I updated my X670e Taichi to the latest BIOS (3.01) and I encountered a severe regression for my DDR5 ram kit.
I am using a Ryzen 7950x and a Corsair 96GB KIT (CMH96GX5M2B6000C30) that always worked like wonders with XMP 6000 AGGRESSIVE profile (wich gives me a NICE performance bump) until the 3.10 bios.

Firts thing I noticed is that with the latest bios there is a sort of "double boot": first there is memory training (code 15), then the system reboots and goes again in memory training , while with the previous bioses it would usually boot to windows. After this second boot, I usually have a 00 code after a minute or so of memory training. And the system fails to boot if using XMP 6000 Aggressive profile.
The funny thing is that if I press the reset button when the 00 code appears, the system reboots, goes into memory training and then it boots to Windows normally and the system is rock stable (mem-tested overnight).
However I am not confident in using this BIOS because when a memery training will occur again (usually in a couple of weeks or so if I am not changing settings) I will again get the 00 code at boot.
This behaviour never happened to me with previous Bioses with the same settings...

Finally, please Asrock, fix that damn bug that prevents the Waterpump fan Header from working during Memory training, making processors overheat and force the system to shut down! I had to completely change fan headers and settings with my Arctic Liquid Frezer III if I want to use individual controls on CPU fan, waterpump and VRM fan.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2024 at 11:19pm
I would open a support ticket with ASRock:
https://tw.asrock.com/events/tsd.asp

You can link to this thread in your ticket so they can check it out here on the
forums too.
killroy2963 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killroy2963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2024 at 11:22pm
I have a similar problem, specs down below. Restarts work just fine, but a cold start I get memory training-double boot-memory training before booting into Windows. I contacted tech support, and Eric just offered the standard copy and past solutions instead of passing my issue along to their bios labs. I said that that is of no help, he told me to RMA the board, nothing at all helpful.

If the board or memory, CPU or GPU was the issue I would most likely have problems with previous bios versions as well. I currently use 2.10 and it works fine, so did several other versions.

Tech support refuses to acknowledge some of their bios versions are flawed, and while they have nice boards, their tech support is of little help.
ASRock X670E Steel legend
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
GSkill FlareX 5 DDR-5 6000
Sound Blaster AE-5
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2024 at 11:46pm
BIOS related issues are tricky. Between the sheer number of possible configurations
and the fact that you are dealing with not just the brand but the vendor too (ASRock
and Intel/AMD) makes things a little complicated. Say AMD releases a new AGESA,
ASRock has one board layout/design, Gigabyte has another, ASUS the same etc. The
AGESA won't necessarily work the same on each of their implementations. Then we factor
actual component differences on the user side and the variation grows even more.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are certain topics that manufacturers are not
allowed to discuss with customers. If an issue is tied to a proprietary AGESA issue
for example.

The fact that earlier BIOS revisions are working would tend to indicate the issue
is with the BIOS version not the board design itself. In which case, the issue will
undoubtedly be resolved in a future update. It's frustrating but AM5 is still
relatively new and bound to have some issues like AM4 did in it's earlier days.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Max33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Max33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 12:01am
Yeah, in fact I suspected that my problems were due to the latest AGESA update. I've been in touch with support with a ticket and they confirmed my doubts saying that most probably it's an AGESA problem.
I see that yesteray a new beta bios was released for X670e Taichi (wich update to AMD AGESA 1.2.0.0) but strangely that beta versione hasn't been released for my Carrara variant so I can't try it at the moment.
What I don't like is the poor memory QVL support for x670e Taichi/Carrara: as an artist I need a lot of RAM for my workloads and there is not a single big size QVL kit at 6000 MT/s speed for my motherboard, wich is strange since is the AMD recommended sweet spot. But at the same time a cheaper model like X670e Steel legend has the same kit I am using (CMH96GX5M2B6000C30) in the QVL list.
I love Asrock products, really, but this is not good support in my opinion.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote killroy2963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 12:26am
I can understand this, but telling me to RMA the motherboard is pointless, plus it makes me do a lot of unnecessary work. I've been working with computers and building machines sine the 90's, this isn't my first rodeo.

My last issue with this board and bios was due to the 4080, or/and the AGESA, but wherever the Asrock bios labs are located, they sent me several beta bios until they fixed my problem. This time I feel like they told me to go pound sand.
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Max33 Max33 wrote:

What I don't like is the poor memory QVL support for x670e Taichi/Carrara: as an artist I need a lot of RAM for my workloads and there is not a single big size QVL kit at 6000 MT/s speed for my motherboard, which is strange since is the AMD recommended sweet spot.

Honestly, motherboard QVLs are a waste of time. I always check the RAM's QVL to
look for compatible boards. I have yet to see a manufacturer update their RAM
QVLs once a board's product page has gone live. To test every new RAM kit on
every single board, current and up to 2 gens old is a logistical nightmare. Not
to mention the same RAM kit can change from one production run to the next. I have
often seen Corsair (one of the good brands IMO) kits come with completely different
memory ICs despite being labeled as the same model. It is by far easier for RAM
manufacturers to test each of their new kits on a selection of boards from each
manufacturer than it is for the board manufacturers to do the same. Especially now with so many RAM manufactures and kit models.

Originally posted by Max33 Max33 wrote:

But at the same time a cheaper model like X670e Steel legend has the same kit I am using (CMH96GX5M2B6000C30) in the QVL list.
I love Asrock products, really, but this is not good support in my opinion.

Talking about the Steel Legend, odds are, if one board supports a RAM kit then all
boards from that manufacturer with that same PCH (chipset) will support it. Generally,
while board designs vary from one model to the next, the underlying architecture
of the boards will be the same, it doesn't make sense to use wildly different
RAM pathing from one model to the next, R&D something that works then design
the rest of the board around it.

So, the TLDR: if you are looking at QVLs for RAM on your board, look for the
newest board released on your chipset and check it's QVL, it will likely be more
up to date. Obviously I mean the newest board of the same manufacturer, this tip
tends to work for all manufacturers.

Hope this helps
Max33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Max33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 1:16am
Good words, but maybe I did not explained too well. Yeah QVL is waste of time, UNTIL you have to deal with support tickets: for may RAM problems, they basically said "sorry, but your kit isn't in QVL list so we can't help".
That's the point.
Of course they can't test every kit on sale BUT a MINIMUM support is another thing.
I think that it's unacceptable that they can't even test ONE big size kit at 6000 MT/s for X670e Taichi/Carrara while they do it for a much cheaper board.
If you choose some kits to test at least made your choice even for various users.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killroy2963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 1:33am
I was told the same thing, even though I use Gskill Flair X5 F5-6000J3038F16GX2-FX5, they said it's not on the list so they can't help. It's not like I'm using some no-name brand of memory, it's Gskil which is some of the top memory for high end system builds.
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
Sound Blaster AE-5
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2024 at 3:14am
I see your point(s). Sounds more like they had no answer for you so used the "not
on the QVL" thing as a dodge. If I am right and it's an AGESA issue it shouldn't
matter soon enough. It leads me to believe even more that there is some fundamental
issue with the current AGESA that AMD is trying to keep under wraps. Purely speculation
but it wouldn't be the first time, from AMD or intel. Manufacturers have to follow
their licensing terms with vendors and a part of that is always PR related. It
sounds to me like ASRock's tech support couldn't help and were not permitted to
reveal why. I could be wrong but based on my interactions with them over the years
I find it hard to believe they wouldn't even try. Why go the extra mile with one
issue then completely shut down the next? Stinks of corporate politics to me.

Still, none of that helps you guys. Your only option seems to be wait for the next
AGESA BIOS release and hope the issue is solved. Based on the RMA suggestion I
am guessing it will be fairly soon. The RMA suggestion seems like a stall tactic
to buy time while the issue is being worked on. Having worked in tech support I
know all too well what it's like to have to dance around policies and other BS
when all you want to do is help the customer.

Hopefully the next BIOS update fixes your issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic