ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 TR + 64GB ECC UDIMM Memory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 9:55am
@ALL thanks for your answers.
I'll just wait and see :)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by sfchun sfchun wrote:

Always difficult by typing to make people get you exact mood, forum are full of sensitive people ...
If someone feel offended I'm sorry.

Indeed Xeon for a workstation/server , I never had in mind a core i7 or i9.
But Xeon price is realy crazy compare to TR.
Also I did not had a look at X299 chipsets, I dont know if it's the right chipset for xeon.
My mind if focus on TR for now, but it just SEEMS to me that Intel is more realist by keeping the border between genral customer usage and server (core iX / Xeon).
Just to make you understand , what I feel by reading answer from forumS ... it seems people dont realy care about having a lot of memory or using ECC on TR X399 platform...
It's just wierd to me ... even reviewers from youtube benchmark it on games ... this is not the purpose at all of this kind of processors (at least not yet)...

Just to sumarize my thinking, I just think that not validating full loaded ECC memory on a TR platform seems not logic, and I just hope it wont be too long before it happens... that's all.
And if I become impatient, then yes I'll have a look at expensive Xeons or Epyc platforms... :/

I agree with you about the use of Threadripper, but even AMD seems to not agree with us.

AMD's Community blogs, which now includes posts from AMD about Threadripper, are included in the... Gaming Community! Confused

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming

You can check the other AMD communities under the Communities list at the top of that page.
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 11:32pm
Hi, just chime in to clarify the intended market for TR chips. It's a HEDT platform, the direct contender to Intel I9/X299 platform, so it's not server/workstation grade hardware in terms of assured reliability.

If you are not looking at X299, but Xeon on Intel lineup, you need to look at Epyc on AMD side. There you will find ECC memory QVL for sure because the intended market.

The fact TR has ECC support not implies it's server/workstation grade reliability speaking. Ryzen's R series support ECC too, and I don't plan to use one of that for a server system.

TR is great for Workstation loads because core count and conectivity, and ECC support make it a serious contender in the workstation market, but if you want a really certified workstation, I'm affraid you need to look at Xeon / Epyc builds.

After all, TR / I9 are enthusiast platforms, aimed at creators, high core count workloads, and gamers too. I don't know what kind of workload you need to run on a TR system which desperately needs ECC memory, but if 100% reliability is required, I suggest you to buy a certified workstation/server system with Xeons or Epyc processors.

You didn't find info on ECC memory for TR mainly because it's an HEDT platform, and users doesn't need that kind of memory.

Cheers. 
sfchun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm
+1 ;)
You clarify the point ! 

My workload will be : virtual machines + NAS , also using ZFS 

checking EPIC vs Xeon and will decide later :)

vacaloca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by sfchun sfchun wrote:

+1 ;)
You clarify the point ! 
My workload will be : virtual machines + NAS , also using ZFS 
checking EPIC vs Xeon and will decide later :)
Curious if you decided or not. I am already heavily invested in 32 GB ECC RDIMMs (256 GB worth) on Asrock's X99 WS-E motherboard and had been looking out of curiosity at a newer platform. On Xeon, unless I go multi-processor, there is no chance for re-using RAM that I already have.

For Intel, I could do 2x Xeon Silver 4110's with either Super Micro's X11DPG-QT or X11DAi-N (~$1800 or ~$1500, respectively)

For AMD, there is a single processor alternative (2 or 3), or another dual option (1):

1) 2x EPYC 7251 on Super Micro's H11DSi (~ $1600) -- 16 RAM slots, and 8C/16 threads*2 = 16C/32 threads

2) 1x EPYC 7351P on Gigabyte's MZ31-AR0 (~ $1473) -- 16 RAM slots*, and 16C/32 threads on the single CPU

3) 1x EPYC 7251 on Gigabyte's MZ31-AR0 (~ $1160) -- 16 RAM slots*, and 8C/16 threads. (economical option)

*On this motherboard, risers would be needed for full-length GPUs (~$20 or ~$80 for each GPU), as well as a case like Thermaltake's Core P5. This is more of a 'fun' build, but more than likely time-consuming.

Are you asking about a 64 GB (L)RDIMMs or 4 x 16GB (64GB) ECC UDIMMs? If you just mean wanting 64GB RAM w/ ECC, then that seems like it has already been proven working -- link here.

Edited by vacaloca - 08 Nov 2017 at 1:21pm
sfchun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfchun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 5:02pm
Hello 

I decided to do minor update on my existing xeon config, and wait longer the new products to come in 2018, we may get more cores/performence for cheaper again next year.
Also it will allow AMD platforms to be more mature.
For now, EPYC solutions are not very easy to get for a individual.

So long story short, I wait and see :)

Cheers

Edited by sfchun - 08 Nov 2017 at 5:03pm
ceros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 6:43pm
Hi guys !
I want to build an x399 TR with 128 Gb ECC UDIMM memory since the cheapest 16Gb (u)dimms that I find are ECC (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4wfd8266 ~107$ ) Shocked 
Now my question is , do you know if these(8x16Gb) will work with x399 Taichi and TR 1950x  or in 4x16 GB configuration ?
Thank you ! ;)
Cheers! 

Edited by ceros - 24 Feb 2018 at 4:48am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by ceros ceros wrote:

Hi guys !
I want to build an x399 TR with 128 Gb ECC UDIMM memory since the cheapest 16Gb (u)dimms that I find are ECC (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4wfd8266 ~107$ ) Shocked 
Now my question is , do you know if these(8x16Gb) will work with x399 Taichi and TR 1950x  or in 4x16 GB configuration ?
Thank you ! ;)
Cheers! 

I don't see that ASRock has this P/N in house to test with.

Your best bet would be to contact Crucial and inquire.
ceros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 4:45am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Hi guys !
I want to build an x399 TR with 128 Gb ECC UDIMM memory since the cheapest 16Gb (u)dimms that I find are ECC (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4wfd8266~107$ ) Shocked 
Thank you ! ;)
Cheers! 

Hi wardog,
I took a leap of faith (after contacting the vendor and confirmed that I can return it in case of incompatibility) and ordered 8x16Gb , they should arrive mid/end of next week . 
I'll keep you posted with the outcome of the tests.
# These are by far the cheapest 128 Gb (~840 $) that I came across .

Edited by ceros - 24 Feb 2018 at 4:48am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:03am

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Hi guys !
I want to build an x399 TR with 128 Gb ECC UDIMM memory since the cheapest 16Gb (u)dimms that I find are ECC (http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4wfd8266~107$ ) Shocked 
Thank you ! ;)
Cheers! 

Hi wardog,
I took a leap of faith (after contacting the vendor and confirmed that I can return it in case of incompatibility) and ordered 8x16Gb , they should arrive mid/end of next week . 
I'll keep you posted with the outcome of the tests.
# These are by far the cheapest 128 Gb (~840 $) that I came across .

Please do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic