ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi: CPU protective cover missing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmmec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X399 Taichi: CPU protective cover missing?
    Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 11:45am
Hi,

Don't TR4 / X399 motherboards - such as the Taichi - come with a greyish protective cover over the LGA (CPU pins), similar to what is shown in this image?

https://eteknix-eteknixltd.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/How-to-Install-X399-Threadripper-AMD-CPU-800x447-800x447.jpg

I just received an X399 Taichi from NewEgg, and it has a Foxconn TR4 socket without the greyish protective cover.  The board otherwise seems to be brand new.

Thanks

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 2:49pm
If the pins on the board are exposed then there is a cover missing. This would be a newegg issue, generally this cover is required for warranty purposes (at least it is here in Bulgaria). I would contact newegg and inquire.

I would imagine the board you were sent was a return that was checked, cleared and resold. 
ssateneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ssateneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 5:16pm
Depends on if you got foxconn or lotes socket. My MSI x399 board had an extra grey cover that locked into place as well as the sliding clear cover. Asrock just had sliding clear cover, but thats fine because it still protects socket pins.

Edited by ssateneth - 27 Nov 2017 at 5:16pm
MB: X399 Taichi, UEFI L3.32
VGA: EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1300 W PLATINUM
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MEM: 4x16GB, 3600MHz G.Skill Trident Z F4-3600C17Q-64GTZKW
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 6:06pm
Thanks for the clarification ssateneth. I have not had my hands on ASRock's X399 boards yet so wasn't sure what the socket cover looked like, hence my comment about exposed pins. So long as there is a cover over them (regardless of design or color) and it doesn't look like a home made cover, it is likely from the factory. 

I always hold on to mine and use them again as and when I sell on my ex-upgrade parts. 
JUANNY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 3:26am
My X399 Fatality Pro Gaming that I purchased from Newegg did not come with the grey socket cover-the only thing it had was the sliding cover that goes into the frame. For future reference will Asrock accept an RMA without that grey cover?
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming Bios 2.0 Threadripper 1950X Cpu cooler Enermax 360 mm TR4 GSkill 64 GB F4-2933C14Q-64GFX Windows 10 X64 PRO Version 1709 Build 16299.19 2X EVGA 1080 TI in SLI mode
jmmec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmmec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 10:26am
So I guess the bottom line is:

* Foxconn connectors only have the clear plastic top cover; they don't have the protective cover over the LGA pins.  Foxconn probably saved US $0.01 per motherboard.

* Lotes connectors have the clear plastic top cover AND a second protective cover over the LGA pins.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 11:10am
Originally posted by JUANNY JUANNY wrote:

My X399 Fatality Pro Gaming that I purchased from Newegg did not come with the grey socket cover-the only thing it had was the sliding cover that goes into the frame. For future reference will Asrock accept an RMA without that grey cover?

As long as ASRock is using the sliding plastic cover provided with the Foxconn CPU socket, there is nothing more you need to protect the CPU socket for an RMA.

If you check the Installing the CPU section of the X399 Taichi manual, it just shows the removal of the clear plastic cover, and nothing else.

The ASRock manuals for Intel processor boards show the standard single Intel CPU cover, so there is no difference in the format.

Does the clear removable cover have any text printed on it about saving/using the cover when the socket is empty?

Firebrand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firebrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 5:32am
Can confirm that my December ASRock x399 Foxconn (F*x-cons) didn't come with a grey protector AND it was the most difficult/frustrating thing in the world to get those 3 screws tightened.  The amount of force needed was extremely unexpected, and I had to disregard the instructions to make it work because of their stupid screws.  The board works fine -- but the F*x-cons need to do their job better.  It really makes me wonder who the h*ll is the quality control manager.

I recommend everyone look for LOTES boards & buy local, instead of on Newegg.

[ASRock, you really need to discipline your suppliers!  I shouldn't have to nearly damage my board to tighten a couple screws!]

Edited by Firebrand - 03 Jan 2018 at 5:34am
ASRock x399 Fatal1ty;
BIOS v.2.00;
AMD 1950x Threadripper;
MSI 1080 Ti Gaming Trio;
EVGA 1600 T2;
Enermax Liqtech 280;
BeQuiet DarkBase Pro 900.
SoniC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoniC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Firebrand Firebrand wrote:

Can confirm that my December ASRock x399 Foxconn (F*x-cons) didn't come with a grey protector AND it was the most difficult/frustrating thing in the world to get those 3 screws tightened.  The amount of force needed was extremely unexpected, and I had to disregard the instructions to make it work because of their stupid screws.  The board works fine -- but the F*x-cons need to do their job better.  It really makes me wonder who the h*ll is the quality control manager.

[ASRock, you really need to discipline your suppliers!  I shouldn't have to nearly damage my board to tighten a couple screws!]

There is no need to put such force... you just need to fasten the screws in a different way.
Doing as I describe here requires less force and actually prevents any damage to the cpu/board/socket.

You still follow the routine (1->2->3) BUT don't torque the 1 way down to the end -- it creates an extra gap (thus extra pressure was required from your side for 2 and 3). Just torque it down till it holds, do this with 2 and 3 (till they hold) and then torque 1 with the tool down. do this to 2 and 3 too.

It has been explained by Kyle here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUOZE0N5WE8
Start from >3Minutes.
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU
Firebrand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firebrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 10:02am
Originally posted by SoniC SoniC wrote:

Originally posted by Firebrand Firebrand wrote:

There is no need to put such force... you just need to fasten the screws in a different way.
Doing as I describe here requires less force and actually prevents any damage to the cpu/board/socket.

You still follow the routine (1->2->3) BUT don't torque the 1 way down to the end -- it creates an extra gap (thus extra pressure was required from your side for 2 and 3). Just torque it down till it holds, do this with 2 and 3 (till they hold) and then torque 1 with the tool down. do this to 2 and 3 too.

It has been explained by Kyle here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUOZE0N5WE8
Start from >3Minutes.

You might be right in some cases -- but not all.  I already knew about ALL of the tricks people were using before I installed my Processor (luckily).  However, mine still required tremendous force.  And I actually had to thread the 2nd & 3rd screw first halfway, just to force the 1st screw to thread a little bit, then UNSCREW the 2nd & 3rd screw partially (so maybe only 25% threaded now) to release pressure to allow the 1st screw to JUST ATTACH, and then I screwed the 1st screw half-way, then 2nd and 3rd halfway, and then TIGHTENED all of them in the proper order.

My method worked for my F*xconns board.  NO OTHER METHOD WORKED.

Your mileage my vary -- I highly recommend staying away from F*xconn trash until they fix this.
ASRock x399 Fatal1ty;
BIOS v.2.00;
AMD 1950x Threadripper;
MSI 1080 Ti Gaming Trio;
EVGA 1600 T2;
Enermax Liqtech 280;
BeQuiet DarkBase Pro 900.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic