ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motherbaord won't start.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motherbaord won't start.
    Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 12:35am
I recently bought a X470 Taichi Ultimate motherboard and I got it installed today, I plugged in the power cable to the PSU and the LED lights came on and then faded in and out but on pressing the power button on the tower nothing happened, so I tried the power button on the motherboard itself and same thing happened. I tried anything and everything I could find online about it but I kept getting the same result, nothing. No sound or movement at all. All the cables and wires where all in the correct places and the RAM stick was properly seated in its slot. I can't for the life of me figure out whats going on here.
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 3:16am
You should always first make a test setup on the desk without case, just with mainboard, CPU, RAM, GPU and keyboard, mouse.
This board has power and reset button.

Anyway, which CPU, RAM, and GPU are used?
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
KiF1rE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiF1rE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Ray62 Ray62 wrote:

You should always first make a test setup on the desk without case, just with mainboard, CPU, RAM, GPU and keyboard, mouse.
This board has power and reset button.

Anyway, which CPU, RAM, and GPU are used?

Second the cpu and ram. If it's a 3000 series processor and your board is on a old bios that isn't 3000 series ready. It needs to be updated first.
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 3:50am
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core, 16 Thread Processor
RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4 2400MHz DRAM
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti DirectX 12 GTX 1660 TI GAMING X 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 3:56am
The bios is P1.50 which is what came with the board. But the problem I have is it won't start up at all. It's kinda hard to update the bios when the board isn't on.
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 3:18pm
Maybe something went wrong when mounting the board into the case...

First make a test setup on the desk without case, just with mainboard, CPU, one RAM stick, GPU, keyboard, mouse and no drive.
Make a CMOS clear and try to start the board.

Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Ray62 Ray62 wrote:

Maybe something went wrong when mounting the board into the case...

First make a test setup on the desk without case, just with mainboard, CPU, one RAM stick, GPU, keyboard, mouse and no drive.
Make a CMOS clear and try to start the board.

I tried testing the motherboard outside the case with just the 8-pin 12V and the 24-pin as suggested by ASRock tech support and I got the same result as before. The lights came on and nothing else happened. I got a feeling that this motherboard was either DOA or something else happened. The board is getting power because if it wasn't the lights wouldn't come on but it just won't turn on.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 9:07pm
Just out of curiosity, have you checked to make sure the clear CMOS jumper is not in the clear position? Some retail outlets will occasionally test boards before shipping them out and if their tech left the jumper in the clear position it would result in exactly the behavior you describe. Even if you have moved the jumper yourself (to clear CMOS) you may have been moving it from clear to normal and back to clear again.
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Just out of curiosity, have you checked to make sure the clear CMOS jumper is not in the clear position? Some retail outlets will occasionally test boards before shipping them out and if their tech left the jumper in the clear position it would result in exactly the behavior you describe. Even if you have moved the jumper yourself (to clear CMOS) you may have been moving it from clear to normal and back to clear again.
I can't locate the clear CMOS jumper anywhere on this motherboard. There are two clear CMOS buttons, the first is next to where you would plug the power switch, reset switch, HD led and the P led and the second is located in the I/O panel at the back. Even according the manual there is no other clear CMOS other then the buttons.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 1:11am
In that case, make sure both switches are functioning correctly, if you push them there should be a tactile click. If there is no click the switch may be stuck in the clear state. You can also check the traces under the switches, make sure there are no shorts.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic