ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Fm2A58M-VGA3+ R2.0 Wont Turn on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabiddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Joker wild Joker wild wrote:

There is no power button that i can see. and i know nothing about jumpers. i flip the switch on the power supply and nothing moves, none of the fans or anything. i suspect these "jumpers" might be the cause of the problem. what are they and how do i make them work?
A jumper is a little plastic square on your board,its on the very bottom.first thing on the bottom left......a little plastic square covering the first 2 pins out of 3 pins....if the square is covering #2 and #3 pins,thats CLEAR CMOS,and board wont fire up.
If the square is covering #1 and #2,that is not the problem here.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 7:10am

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The switch on the power supply does not power up the system, you need to have the case power switch connected to the motherboard, instructions as to how to do this should be in your user manual that came with the motherboard. 

You're seriously telling me the problem is i have no "on" button?

I know it sounds bad but yes Wink

The power switch from the case needs to be connected to the motherboard. On your particular board the connector you need is on the bottom left corner of the board if you look at the board with the IO panel at the top.

I have highlighted in red where the power switch is connected for you. If you do not have a case or just want to see if the system will power on you can short those 2 pins with a metal object, I usually use a screwdriver. 

I hope this helps solve your problems Smile
First builds can be tricky but you will feel great once you get it all up and running Wink
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 8:05am
OP, in your MB Manual(I just used the online pdf  manual), see pg 5, Sec 1.3, specifically the lower right corner, #12. This is where the wires FROM the case are connected.

Then refer to page 17, System Panel Header< for which wires from your case attach to the MB at this location.

If you need further help, reply back with your cases make and model. We'll know more towards guiding you then with us knowing the case you have.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">

Edited by wardog - 14 Nov 2015 at 8:06am
Joker wild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 5:13am
I don't have a case, as I plan to build one out of Legos. Let me see if I understand you so far.

You're telling me that the psu acts more like a power strip, and to turn the device on, I have to use a separate switch entirely, a switch, that is usually supplied with a case purchased from any retailers, so in order to get the computer to post, I'll needs second switch in the same way I would if I had a tv plugged into a power strip?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:17am
The PSU, when switched on on the back of the PSU only supplies "stand by' power.

It's a cases power switch , and its wiring connected to the MB , that actually turns the computer on for use.

Without the cases power switch being connected to the MB, no, it will not turn on.

Xaltar explained above how to short the two power switch pins, which will act the same as a cases power switch.

Being very careful not to short out any incorrect pins at the system panel header, if you have the nerve, give that a go.

Edited by wardog - 15 Nov 2015 at 8:18am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 8:25am
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-Lego-Computer/

Specifically, per the power switch and reset switch if wanted:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-a-Lego-Computer/step3/Basics-of-Computer-Building-Parts/
""A Switch to the motherboard for power and reset""
Rabiddog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabiddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 12:17pm

I don't have a case, as I plan to build one out of Legos. Let me see if I understand you so far.

You're telling me that the psu acts more like a power strip, and to turn the device on, I have to use a separate switch entirely, a switch, that is usually supplied with a case purchased from any retailers, so in order to get the computer to post, I'll needs second switch in the same way I would if I had a tv plugged into a power strip?
Im sorry,but have you ever turned any computer on?
Have you ever used a switch on the back of a computer to turn it on?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 3:12pm
Actually, AT systems used turn on at the PSU but I have not seen one since first gen Pentiums  were current Smile

It is an easy thing to overlook if you are a new builder. Venturing into the world of system building for the first time can be daunting and in all likelihood you will make a few mistakes but each one you make will teach you something. Don't be discouraged and take each new thing you learn as a win.

Old PCs (pre Pentium 2) used to be AT form factor and would be turned on directly from the PSU or at least a switch connected to the PSU. This system was abandoned because it shunts a spike of power into the system every time you turn the power supply on. Around the time Pentiums gave way to Pentium II the ATX system currently in use was implemented commercially. ATX systems constantly have a small amount of power running through the system and are "powered up" by a switch that must be connected to the motherboard, this means less power spiking and better component longevity. 

If you look at the post where I posted the picture of the front panel header (the block of pins in the image) it should tell you all you need to know to power on the system and test it. For a first build I strongly recommend that you use a standard case rather than use a more creative medium. Once you have it all worked out in a normal case you can then build your Lego case and use the standard case for reference as to how many fan holes, vents and other essential cooling features you need to implement. 

Here is fairly comprehensive video tutorial on system building that should help you get a better understanding of not only how to put a PC together but also why it needs to be done this way.

If you do go ahead with building a  Lego case at some point I would love to see your progress on the build Thumbs Up 

Edited by Xaltar - 15 Nov 2015 at 3:24pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2015 at 10:12pm
Thank you all for the help and advice. I have a power button coming in on the 17th, and ill see if I can get it to post then, also thank you for the instructables link to the Lego PC case, that will help. I'll post an update soon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Rabiddog Rabiddog wrote:

Im sorry,but have you ever turned any computer on?
Have you ever used a switch on the back of a computer to turn it on?

Every time ive used a computer the switch has always been in the back. i've used the same one for a little over a decade, my cousin built it for me and he designed it so it wouldnt need to be upgraded for quite a while. i'm doing the same here He did a custom case and set the power button on the back next to the I/O. i plan to put the I/o on th efrnt this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic