ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM2A88X Extreme4+, W10 and BIOS 2.60 freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre.Zi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 2:13am
Hi there,

finally I found a posting, which describes all the trouble, I have had the last three weeks. I'm about to go crazy, but I want to share my story in hope, it could help others.

My setup was the FM2A88X Extreme4+ with AMD A8 7600 APU. Additionally I use one more pci express usb 3.0 card, Thermaltake Munich 430W, G.SKILL F3-17000CL9D 8GB (2x4GB), Samsung SSD 250 GB and 6 additional internal HDDs. The system is running on Win10 Pro 64Bit (upgraded since Win8.1) and is used as a low power consumpting media server running PLEX.

The trouble began by freezing while surfing. I had to hard reset the computer for the first time since that setup was running. The UEFI came up automatically and so I decided to update it (just because I've been inside UEFI :D). After that first freeze, the system started to freeze randomly. I tried everything possible, disconnected all of the hdds and pci express card. I booted up a live cd - you guess - it froze as well. So what to do? There must be a problem with the hardware. I replaced the RAM for test - freeze. I decided to order the sameds mainboard again and replaced the old one - freeze. (I didn't check for bios version!) So I decided to redo that config, sent the mainboard back. Still freezing. I ordered a new cpu, A10 7800 (?), replaced it and again freezes. So I replaced the power supply, but freezing again. After I put my A8 back again, I tried to run the mainboard without cables of the case connected - freeze. I buyed a new case, replaced everything again - freeze. I was going crazy!

I reinstalled Windows 10 on another ssd and it seemed to run fine until it froze again. Yesterday I did another bunch of troubleshooting. I replaced the power cable, network cable, used another port on my fritzbox. Maybe the problem has anything to do with the network port?! I disconnected a switch which is used for tv, ps3, bluray in the living room and connected the tv directly to the fritz box, I disconnected every hdd again (except the system ssd).

Since yesterday there was NO FREEZE. My plan was to connect one thing a day again, to see when it will freeze again.

On my way searching the web for any freezes caused by a fritzbox, I found THIS thread! And it seems to be exactly the same issue, I'm troubleshooting for over three weeks now.

Ok, I need to try that C6 option in bios, hoping that it will solve my freezes.

I will let you know whatever happens. If that C6 state will be the answer,

DEAR ASROCK SUPPORT, SPREAD THAT SOLUTION!!!

Greetz
Andre

Edited by Andre.Zi - 02 Jun 2016 at 2:18am
Andre.Zi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre.Zi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 12:23pm
Ok, tonight I had a freeze again. Now I disabled Package Core 6. Let's see what happens...
Madmartigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madmartigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Andre.Zi Andre.Zi wrote:

On my way searching the web for any freezes caused by a fritzbox, I found THIS thread! And it seems to be exactly the same issue, I'm troubleshooting for over three weeks now.

Welcome to the infamous "give-me-back-the-last-three-weeks-of-my-life club" Andre.Zi. Confused

Since this problem seems tied to bios version, please update your post with your current and previous bios version. If you don't know what previous version of the bios your motherboard had, look for a very tiny sticker on top of one of the component of the board. It should indicate something like "P2.8" for bios 2.80 for instance.

Regardless : best of luck with those freezes.

To be fair to ASRock : I checked the online manual for the FM2A88X Extreme4+, and it indicate that the default position for Package C6 should be "disabled". Unfortunately, by default, the settings on my motherboard enabled PC 6 state.

This might come from the fact that my motherboard was provided with bios 2.80 and that I later upgraded to 3.20, rather than have the 3.20 out of the box : if they changed the default position of the option on one of the later bios, my motherboard would have retained her PC6 state settings, despite the default position changing to avoid new motherboard owners with one of the later bios to experience the same bug.
Andre.Zi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre.Zi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 11:58pm
Hi,

my board was shipped with 2.10. But I can remember, that the first thing I did was an update of UEFI by the end of november 2014. I can't tell you, what version was running fine. Actually I have 3.20 installed, package C6 disabled this morning and no freeze during the day :)

I will rebuild my pc to it's final configuration later on. If the pc will be running until thursday without freeze, I think that this issue should be solved.
Andre.Zi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre.Zi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 4:56am
Due to the fact, that my pc is still running, I can say, that the package C6 setting was my solution.

Thanks Madmartigan for sharing that!

Greetz
Andre
numbnuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numbnuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:38pm
An update.  I have found a solution that has me running rock solid for the last two months.

I have thrown my ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+ motherboard to the sh#thouse and installed a Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H board and the freezing no longer occurs.

I will never buy another ASRock board again.
Madmartigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madmartigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Andre.Zi Andre.Zi wrote:

Due to the fact, that my pc is still running, I can say, that the package C6 setting was my solution.

Thanks Madmartigan for sharing that!

Greetz
Andre

Yay ! ^^

Although, all the thanks should be directed to L0405 and digithom, without whom, I too, would have been left with an overpriced paperweight in lieu of a computer. Handshake

Originally posted by numbnuts numbnuts wrote:

An update.  I have found a solution that has me running rock solid for the last two months.

I have thrown my ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+ motherboard to the sh#thouse and installed a Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H board and the freezing no longer occurs.

Sorry to hear that this solution came too late for you numbnuts.
Andre.Zi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre.Zi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 4:11am
Originally posted by numbnuts numbnuts wrote:

That solution won't be suitable for me because of the USB 3.0 ports. On my way searching for a motherboard which satisfied my needs, that one from ASRock was the only one with a lot of SATA Ports (7) and that many of USB Ports (8xUSB3.0, 8xUSB2.0). And to be honest, that board ran very fine 24/7 until it froze the first time. Now with that disabled option I'm happy again. Smile
Cliff48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 8:55am
So 2 years(?) later and the random freezes are still unresolved, for me anyway.

I have done stress tests on memory and hard drives and am unable to cause a freeze (These tests are run under 'DOS', and thus dont involve ASROCK AMD drivers which are windows specific.  I have all the latest drivers from ASrock and Windows.  (and the lastest BIOS)

My current freezes happen anywhere between attempted reboot - to 4 days later.

Basically I am going to bin this PC and replace it with anything other than an Asrock/AMD combination.
AMD A10-7870K
ASRock FM2A88X+ Keller - Fatal1ty
Cliff48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Cliff48 Cliff48 wrote:

So 2 years(?) later and the random freezes are still unresolved, for me anyway.

I have done stress tests on memory and hard drives and am unable to cause a freeze (These tests are run under 'DOS', and thus dont involve ASROCK AMD drivers which are windows specific.  I have all the latest drivers from ASrock and Windows.  (and the lastest BIOS)

My current freezes happen anywhere between attempted reboot - to 4 days later.

Basically I am going to bin this PC and replace it with anything other than an Asrock/AMD combination.

Edit/Correction:  My new PC with have neither Asrock or AMD.
AMD A10-7870K
ASRock FM2A88X+ Keller - Fatal1ty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic