ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM2A88X Extreme4+, W10 and BIOS 2.60 freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre.Zi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Cliff48 Cliff48 wrote:

So 2 years(?) later and the random freezes are still unresolved, for me anyway.

I have done stress tests on memory and hard drives and am unable to cause a freeze (These tests are run under 'DOS', and thus dont involve ASROCK AMD drivers which are windows specific.  I have all the latest drivers from ASrock and Windows.  (and the lastest BIOS)

My current freezes happen anywhere between attempted reboot - to 4 days later.

Basically I am going to bin this PC and replace it with anything other than an Asrock/AMD combination.

Hi Cliff,

did you try to disable Package C6 in UEFI? That's the point in here. My system froze after booting up from a live cd, too. So no ASROCK AMD drivers have been involved in my case, too.
Cliff48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 7:46am
Thanks for your reply Andre.  I have a Fatil1ty cpu, which is a different UEFI version.  Package C6 option doesnt exist (or I cant find it on my Uefi menu).  With regard to freezes....  I often get a freeze even just accessing UEFI menu.

I am staggered that Asrock obviously see this as such a low priority.  When I contacted them directly ... their only help was to suggest updating UEFI.

I'm definitely not a happy user.
AMD A10-7870K
ASRock FM2A88X+ Keller - Fatal1ty
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:33pm
The option to disable C6 state is under your Advanced\CPU Configuration section in your UEFI on the ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer . I don't know what the deal is with this issue but the consensus in this thread seems to be that disabling C6 seems to resolve it. 

Edited by Xaltar - 06 Jun 2016 at 1:34pm
Andre.Zi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre.Zi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2016 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The option to disable C6 state is under your Advanced\CPU Configuration section in your UEFI on the ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer . I don't know what the deal is with this issue but the consensus in this thread seems to be that disabling C6 seems to resolve it. 

The deal with this issue is, that ASRock seems to ignore it.
hgonzale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hgonzale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 2:27am
Hello friend. Now I am having the same issue, same motherboard, and here my history:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2805&title=fm2a88x-extreme4-freeze-only-with-a10-7890k

Resume

Same motherboard, same memory. Not OC

First A^6400k, after A8 6600k, after A10 7850k and NOW A10 7890k

The system is freezing sometimes, doing different things, with or without load.

If I run heavy/stress test for CPU, Video and memory, nothing happen. Everything is ok, but eventually the system freeze.

I have still my A10 7850k, if I exchange the CPU, the system runs pefectly.

The A10 7890K CPU is not the problem, I exchanged it 2 times (3 differents CPU).

Andre.Zi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre.Zi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 3:11am
Hi hgonzale,

Xaltar already replied to your post with a statement to the APUs. So now with C6 State disabled your freezes are gone? You didn't end your post in the other thread.
hgonzale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hgonzale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 3:24am
Hello........ After testing and testing for some days my freeze are gone. Really.... in heavy load and soft load. Really, you are the best friends ever.....

Incredible... C6 state fu$%$%#$%#$ my Pc...

And now, some question...... maybe is interesting...

1.- Is so much the different in power saving? Or the C6 state is marginal?
2.- Why all my others APUS (A6 6400k, A8 6600k, A10 7850k) didn't have the problem?

And I sold more than 30 AMD APU in the last 2 years and neither had this problem.......

And A friend of mine bought the last week the same A10 7890K with my same motherboard (he bought the motherboard one month after me, Jan 2015, because he watched my computer running) and he doesn't have the problem

Thank you friends, and have a NICE weekend.
Andre.Zi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre.Zi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 8:17pm
I don't think that C6 State is the problem. The UEFI version installed / the firmware must have a bug. My system ran stable round about one year until it froze for the first time. That one freeze didn't make me unhappy, I guess. But after that happened, I updated UEFI to the newest version. From that time on, my system froze randomly.

As I understood, the C6 is only one opportunity for power saving. But, where do we stand at the moment? The CPUs won't get really faster, the only thing is, that they get more performance. During the last years, power saving gets more and more important for new products like tablets. So I don't think that your system will need a lot of more power than with package core 6 enabled.

And btw, you didn't disable C6 comletely, did you? For me - as for others, too - disabling only the suboption 'package core 6' did it! ;)

And regarding your second question... Did you update your UEFI after you applied the latest A10 APU?

Could you check your UEFI version and compare it to your friends' one?

Edited by Andre.Zi - 12 Jun 2016 at 8:25pm
hgonzale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hgonzale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 2:28am
Hello my friend. I have the 3.20 version "long time ago", when I had the A8 6660k and A10 7850k and the system started freezing only with the A10 7890k (same memory, devices, bios version, etc etc).

I disabled the C6 and now the system has days running without problem. Switching between linux and windows, using VM under linux etc etc...

And I read in many other places about C6 state and the same problem......

Thank you
Cliff48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliff48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 9:34am
Thank you Xaltar.  I have now been running for 5 days without a freeze. Disabling c6 option did the trick!  I am still staggered that a bug like this has been allowed to exist for so long.  So that I am p*ssed with the coprrect organisation for being plagued with this problem for 2 years, is the UEFI on an Asrock m/b an Asrock product?

Thanks again
AMD A10-7870K
ASRock FM2A88X+ Keller - Fatal1ty
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic