ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RGB Utility issues and workaround

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RGB Utility issues and workaround
    Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 9:49pm
The new 1809 (RS5) Windows 10 release is causing some issues with the RGB utility, on the previous 1803 (RS4) it seems to work fine.

Note, this only applies to boards with Addressable RGB, so:
B450; X470; Z370 and Z390

Solution:

The cause is the new Windows 10 release, and the use of the Windows powershell to execute some commands.

When the utility is installed it extracts a number of files to the C: drive

Her is how to solve it

1.       Download the latest 1.0.26 utility: http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Utility/RGB/PolychromeRGB(v1.0.26).zip

2.       Uninstall the RGB Led utility and reboot

3.       Install the 1.0.26 utility and reboot

4.       Start the utility, it will detect the RGB hardware, (it should also install the firmware update, and that is what goes wrong in the latest Windows version, it doesn't update!)

5.       Now we have to manually update the firmware via the command prompt

6.       Open the Command Prompt (Windows key+r and type in cmd and click okay)

7.       Type (or copy/paste);
Quote cd C:\Program Files (x86)\ASRock Utility\ASRRGBLED\Bin
then press enter

8.       Type DIR, and check for 2 files wicpflashadsb.exe and nu51_2.07 (this is the latest firmware)

9.      Type; wICPFLASHADSB.exe /File=FilenameHere example:
Quote wICPFLASHADSB.exe /File=nu51_2.07
or
Quote wICPFLASHadsbv2.exe /File=nu51_2.07
on newer versions
10.   Press Enter, the firmware for the LED controller will be reflashed

11.   Done

This is a known issue and a proper fix is in development. For now, you can either hold off on installing/updating the RGB utility and wait for a fix or you can use this workaround to get things working correctly.

This info was provided by my contact at ASRock who requested I share it here for you all.

Edited by Xaltar - 09 Sep 2019 at 6:05am
Erasmus Venport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erasmus Venport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 7:18am
Recently attempted this work around on 470 Taichi Ultimate running Windows 10 Pro with mixed results.

Firstly tried the work around as stated, but only got a partial fix, after applying the work around the program loaded but was not working correctly, I had a number of access violations when trying to select options and the program ran very slowly.

I re-applied the work around but ran the command prompt as administrator, used the nu51_2.07 file to update and then set PolychromeRGB to run in windows 8 compatibility mode and to run as administrator, this fixed the access violations and the slow running.

However this only partially fixed my RBG problems, I still can't change the colour of the outer ring of the Wraith Spire AMD Cooler and can only set RGB colours on one DIMM not both.....

Hope this helps others if they are having difficulties.
Elodin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elodin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 10:59am
   wICPFLASH v1.0.18 - ASRock Incorporation, all rights reserved
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Project Name = Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-IB
BIOS Version = L0.01
Reading file: nu51_1.10...0...ok.
Enter ICP mode.
Company ID: 0x000000FF, Device ID: 0x00FF00FF
Erasing:     EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Programming: PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Verifying:   Verify error: address=0x00000000, value: 0x000000FF != 0x00000002

When I reflash I get this error message what does this mean? Is there any way I can figure out what the error message is referring to?
Bothos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bothos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 3:50pm
Thanks a lot it helped even with version 1.0.27 and Win 1803.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 5:33pm
Running command prompt as Administrator prevents issues, in cases where the user is not using the operating system with administrative privileges the tool will not have permission to do what it needs to.

To run as administrator:

Jordo Powers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordo Powers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 6:56pm
Is this why I can't get Asrock Fatal1ty b250 k4 won't work with polychrome? Rgb led wont pick up my hyper x predator rgb ram. I have to use Asus aurora
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 7:06pm
Effected boards are listed in my original post. This issue doesn't apply to your intel 200 series board

Edited by Xaltar - 19 Dec 2018 at 7:07pm
asp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 12:40pm
Everything was working fine then one day one of my HyperX Predator RGB strips started glitching, I was afraid it was damaged so soon!

I found this thread and tried the reflash, but that didn't change anything.

Then I used the Polychrome app to turn all LED sets to OFF, and then uninstalled the Polychrome app.

Now here is the best part of this story!

I shutdown the PC (yes I have fastboot enabled, oh well, nobody is perfect), turned off the PSU, waited a few seconds, then powered up and this is when the magic begins!

Now for some reason Windows booted with all of my LED sets turned back on the way I had them set a few days ago, except with one amazing difference that I will now reveal with great pride!

The 2 HyperX Predator RGB strips are doing the factory default rainbow routine, oh but can you imagine, they are NOT in sync, at least not most of the time, after some minutes they aling again, but then one is clearly not interested in such a slow rainbow effect, so it goes right on ahead at its own speed and they go out of sync again.

The effect has resulted in my amazing ASRock Fatal1ty system to be truly godly and unmatched in this world.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!
asp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2019 at 11:32pm
...and its gone.

My original glitching and failing of one of my DDR sticks was cured by simply reflashing the motherboard BIOS.
charlesp4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesp4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:37pm
I tried this work around, launched the app and still cannot change colors. Everything in the app looks like it changes, however when I click apply nothing happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic