ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty B450 Windows installation looping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanohead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 11:28pm
"The strange part is, that it wants to boot from my NVME drive as first drive. I'm not used to that I have to change bootorder. It's been a while since I had a AMD system, but I have assembled PCs since 1997"

It prioritizes the NVMe drive because the industry agreed on NVMe as the new fastest boot device to default in UEFI. NVMe as a software layer, like AHCI, is designed to manage disk/ssd interfacing into their hardware layer, like PCIe or SATA. The most advanced boards will default to NVMe if it sees one installed in either the M2 slot or the PCIe slot. The entire industry is going in that direction.

"I really don't understand your post. Do you say that I can't expect that everything should work? What BS advice is that? Will CnQ work or not? Or is this another thing that won't work with this AMD system?

I have read about oc amd system. But I can't find anything on CnQ not working when oc.

I haven't been building a AMD system for 10 years now. Went to Intel because of all these things that didn't worked properly. I can see that it haven't change a bit in 10 years"

AMD systems work fine, as do Intel systems. I have both running right now on my desk. They each have their particular methods that their respective engineers design into their operating parameters. One is not better than the other, they both accomplish exactly the same thing.   Cool & Quiet hasn't been that relevant since Windows XP and to some extent, Windows 7. In Windows 10, AMD uses various P-States to achieve dynamic frequency scaling and power management, much as Intel uses Turbo Boost and the dreaded SpeedStep.

One is not better than the other. You may be "used to" something, but that doesn't make an alternative not work or bad. They all accomplish the same thing. And overclocking generally requires that most power state management schemes be disabled so the CPU can run full out with full (or greater) power supplied at all times. This has nothing to do with Intel or AMD, its how CPU power management works. You may not like it, but its true.

Also, who cares if Cool and Quiet works. No one really looks at it any more anyway. AMD actually opened up their BIOS substantially with the Ryzen series so enthusiasts could tweak till their hearts content.

Also, you haven't said which CPU you're using. Most Ryzen CPUs enable simple multiplier overclocking, but its up to the silicon lottery to see how fast your CPU will go. You only need to change multiplier in Ryzen Master software and test each setting. Its simple, and you needn't overcomplicate things with all the other settings.

Hardcore overclockers get into all the settings (C6, C1E, Global P States, C&Q, and others) to get every last Mhz out of their system. But only real tweakers or competitors actually care that much. Regular people who plan on using their systems use the tools the motherboard manufacturers and AMD/Intel give them in most cases.

As an engineer in the computer industry since the 1980s, and who's built computers with just about every part imaginable, as well as overclocked with everything from voltage mods, liquid and gas cooling, delidding and many other hairbrained schemes, it really doesn't matter in the long run.

Use the provided tools, they'll save you massive heartache and frustration. And they work fine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic