ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I buy a gaming pc?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charliecharles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy a gaming pc?
    Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 5:02pm
I?™m currently a console player but I?™m considering buying a gaming pc, I dream about having a sick set up and using mouse and keyboard instead of controller I think would be really fun and a new challenge.

Are there any more pros I should know about when you have a nice gaming pc/set up? Also are there any cons?
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 7:04pm
Here are some thoughts.

Pros:
-Potential for high framerate gaming.
-Potential for better visuals than on console.
-A lot of options when building a system, which enables you to get what you need.
-A lot of pre-built PCs available if you'd rather skip building the system yourself.

Cons:
-Framerates and visuals depend on what you get.
-A lot of options when building a system, which makes it difficult to know exactly what you need (unless your budget is unlimited).
-You can run into various issues when building a system.
-Pre-built PCs sometimes make weird compromises, so you still need to pay attention to what you're getting and do some research.
-Consoles offer better bang for your buck overall.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
timpaine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timpaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 9:08pm
The following part where the user will able to get the knowledge so it will be going to manage it in such part so [URL=https://errorcode0x.com/fixed-firefox-couldnt-load-xpcom/]can't load xpcom[/URL] will provide all the possible things.
DevMehra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DevMehra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 3:20pm
Gaming is an interesting thing, and lots of people play the game in their free time. If you want to buy a game so it should be your choice, but there are other free games you can choose overthere.
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 4:38pm
There are many considerations, but only a few things have greater impact when playing games.
PROCESSOR,
Keep in mind that the difference between 3.2GHz, or 3.4GHz, will not have huge impact, why? simply because the OS takes control, once it's loaded.
Benchmarks, always show nicer scores, but it doesn't make your system twice as fast.
ON AMD Ryzen, CPU models ending on G or GE, usually have built in graphics, like a 5700G or 5700GE, they used to be called APU, but now everything is called CPU
On Intel, most CPU's have built in graphics, only models ending on F, do not have built in graphics.
Performance wise, AMD APU's, outmatch Intel built in graphics, and depending on your game, also onboard ( or better said, integrated, because it is not ON the BOARD) can have proper performance for the simple games.
For heavy gaming, only a discrete graphics card can handle the load.
Always use the latest chipset, and graphics driver, many problems, originate from outdated drivers, also don't forget, sometimes it's simply the game itself
MEMORY,
The memory controller is NOT on the motherboard, it is integrated in the CPU, and currently on DDR4 both Intel and AMD run at 3200MHz.
Overclocking, above this speed doesn't result in higher overall performance, that is really a myth, only a synthetic memory benchmark, will be happy.
There are 2 exceptions
1. when the latency timing of the XMP profile is lower, than SPD values, which is hardly ever the case.
2. When using an AMD APU, the overall performance will not gain that much, but since a number of cores are dedicated to the graphics, they will benefit from higher memory speeds, but this is only for the graphics performance
(My personal favorite is Patriot Viper, built many systems, and was never disapointed)
MOTHERBOARD,
The honest truth is that Gaming motherboards, do not differ that much, from their fellow Non gaming boards with the same chipset, but differences can be, 2,5GB LAN chips, with higher performance, better Audio and more powerfull Voltage Regulator Modules (VRM's) that handle the power to the CPU (as a tip, always put some airflow on the components around the CPU socket, which is where you will find the VRM's)
When selecting a board, keep in mind. the cheap chipsets like A320 and H670, are entry models, not high performance, Z590 or B550 are more suitable.
A popular chipset would be the AMD B550 range, the times that Intel had the best product, and performance is long time ago, AMD Ryzen took over that position.
And a 2.5GB LAN is nice, but when connected to a 1GB switch, it will still run at 1GB, NOT 2,5, and after that you have your internet connection, and unless that is 1GB or above, there will not be much difference, the LAN is only so fast as the slowest part in the chain, but some fasater LAN. can maybe have faster response times, but in general a 1GB, will do the job.
Intel has now the 600 Series, but this is really the first real update in a decade.
On some boards, it can handle DDR5, up the 4800MHz, when using a board with DDR4, it is 3200MHz
AMD will soon launch a new Range of chipsets and CPU's that can also handle DDR5.
Socket AM5
So go for the DRAM speed that matches that of the internal memory controller or above, buying a 2666MHz kit, when the memory controller is optimized for 3200MHz, is a wrong saving, and ALWAYS buy a kit, and when buying 4 modules, don't buy 2 kits, most memory manufacturers are assemblers, they buy the PCB's and chips, and put on it, whatever they can lay their hands on, I have seen many cases where people bought 2 kits, in one buy, and one had 512MB chips of Brand A, and the other 1GB chips, of another brand, but both kits have the same partnumber, so you don't see it until you put it on your board, and it doesn't work.
Samsung and Crucial are true memory manufacturers, but as I said, I put my trust in the Patriot Vipers, and have never been disappointed.
Best is to use a kit of 2, and for gaming 16GB should sufficient, 32GB kit is not necessary, and when adding memory, it's better to replace the kit, than to add 2 modules, often it is not stable.
STORAGE,
For boot device, I would always go for the PCIE (NVME) M.2 cards 500GB or above
There are 3 types of controllers
1. AHCI, which is an outdated standard, but still available, don't buy that
2. SATA M.2, it has the same performance as a two and a half Inch SATA disk (550MB/S)
3. PCIE, also called NVME, this is the best option, speeds above 2000MB/S are normal, in games it will allow faster loading. and faster access
Check the ASRock website https://asrock.com/mb/index.asp for the model you selected, go to specifications and scroll down to storage, here you will see what speed the M.2 slots can handle, and which protocol, PCIE, or SATA.
When installing an OS, ALWAYS only conenct the device you want to install Windows or Linux on, and in BIOS Boot, set CSM to disabled, if your graphics card can support that, the OS will automatically be installed in GPT (UEFI) Mode, wich for upgrading from Win 10 to Win11 is a must
Also in BIOS you will find 2 options
1. Above 4G Decoding, if possible, Enable it
2. Resize bar (AMD) or Clever Access Memory (Intel), enable it
This should improve the performance of your discrete graphics card, but these 2 options can only be used when CSM is Disabled.
OTHER COMPONENTS,
ALWAYS go for a good quality Powersupply like the ones from Seasonic, and go for 750Watt or above, when using a graphics card like 3090 RTX, I ould say 1000Watt.
Keep in mnind the PSU, will not constantly consume 1000Watt, but graphics cards can peak above the advertised values, causing instability when the PSU is overloaded.
NEVER SAVE MONEY ON A PSU, IT IS THE BASE OF ANY STABLE SYSTEM. go for the Gold certification or above, and keep in mind, it will easily go for 10 years.
As a tip,
Most Chassis do not have airflow over the PCIE slots, that really sucks, becasue in that arfea you will have heat radiated from the cipst, and also a lot of heat radiated from the GPU, and it just stays in the area around the PCIE slots.
When you PSU is in the bootom of the case, put it upside down, so the fan is on the inside of the chassis, and not on the bottom, it can make a huge difference, also in graphics performance, you will thank me for this tip.
Graphics card, you have to look on reviews, in respect to performance, either Nvidia or AMD, it doesn't matter, it is what you prefer, keep in mind that some cards under review could be tweaked, which doesn't mean, they are no good, but sometimes, they outperform the cards, you can buy.
Sometimes people get disapointed, because graphics performance is less, than you'ld expect from the review, airflow is important, becasue the hotter ity gets, the quicker it throttles, to keep everyting under control
A good quality monitor with high refresh rate and HDR, personally I use a 32 inch LG Ultragear (not curved), and I love it, when playing call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, or recently Dishonored 2
UPGRADE CONSIDERATIONS,
Usually when you have purchsed a board, and the other components, the only component you will change in a gaming system, is the graphics card, or maybe add a second monitor.
When having already 32GB of memory, there is no need to upgrade the memory anyway.
Don't look at benchmarks, they show a wrong picture, The onkly important thing is, that for instance one graphics card reaches 40 frames, and another 80 or above, this is not the same, in your gamnes, but gives an indication about the performance, so I would say 80 frames will be betetr to handle the load, compared to 40 frames.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LAST NOTE,
You could for instance buy a Intel K CPU like 12900K, but there are some restrictions.
Overclocking the CPU, is only possibe when using a K CPU, in combination with a Z series, so a K CPU on a H670 board cannot overclock, that is limited by Intel.
And i3 i5 i7 i9, is marketing, I often hear people say, I have an i7, or an i5, meaning i7 is better, that is simply not true, what matters is the frequency and the amount of cache, but don't buy the highest available, becasue it will not make a huge difference (People may disagree with me on that)
A lot of people go for a K CPU, because you can overclock, but find the performance improvement so little, and it is quite tricky, and can damage the CPU.
So in the end a lot of people have an expensive K CPU, without ever overclocking, in my view, a waste of money, don't fall for the this marketing BS.
First instalaltion, always use default BIOS settings, if everything rund fine, you can tweak the BIOS a bit, also when the system runs fine, and you use XMP profiles, and it crashed, you will know it has to do with the settings you changed

It's quite a wall of text, but as you understand it's my personal view, after being in the business for 40 years, and some marketing experience
Kind Regards
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 5:25pm
Thanks Threadzipper1957, much of your post mirrors my own views on building a system,
not just for gaming either.

The only thing I can think to add is the importance of the GPU and how the rest
of the components need to scale to match it.

The GPU you pick will determine your minimum CPU, motherboard and PSU requirements.
Getting an RTX 3090ti then getting a Pentium Gold or Celeron CPU isn't going to
give you the full performance of the expensive GPU. You would be far better off
getting something like an RTX 3070 and an i5 12500, this will net you much better
performance than a severely bottlenecked RTX 3090ti.

As Threadzipper said:
never EVER cheap out on your PSU. I have seen more dead systems and components because
of cheap, nasty PSUs than any other component failure. Always get the best brand
you can afford and make sure you take the TDP for your GPU
and CPU, add them together and double that. So a 95w CPU + 250w GPU would mean
you will ideally want a 700w PSU. This will mean that when your games load your
system your PSU will be running in it's most efficient state, generating less
heat and wasting less power. High wattage PSUs don't use more power than low
wattage ones on the same system. A system running at 380w on a 400w PSU will use
more power and generate much more heat than the same system running on a 750w
PSU. The closer you get the the PSU's maximum wattage the less efficient it
becomes and the more heat it generates as a result.

Edited by Xaltar - 12 Aug 2022 at 9:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic