ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Gaming Zone > Gaming PC Build Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450 steel legend vrm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stretchmatthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450 steel legend vrm
    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 12:59am
So is the 6 phase power on the steel legend series a issue or improvement from the pro4 9 phase power since they added the 60a choke?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 2:17am
Interesting question. I don't know the technical details but I would be willing to bet ASRock put a lot of planning into the VRM on their new product range. It wouldn't make any sense to launch a new range only to have it perform badly right out the gate. With the launch of Ryzen most board manufacturers aired on the side of caution with the VRM section, going with overkill rather than repeat the nightmare that happened with the FX 9k series. Now that Ryzen is more of a known quantity, it makes sense that the VRMs would be fine tuned and better tailored to the actual needs of the architecture.

Beyond that, wait for reviews and take a look at overclocking, stability and VRM temps. The proof is in the testing after all. I know the VRM on my X370 Taichi was WAY overkill. My X399 Phantom Gaming 6 has an 8 phase design vs the X370 Taichi's 16 yet it handles my 2950X with ease and allows me 4.1ghz on all 16 cores. Optimization, component quality and refinement count for more than the number of phases IMO.   
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 4:07am
Note that the Pro4 has 3+3 phases, not 6+3. The CPU VRM has double the components per phase compared to a typical phase, but there are no doublers, so the paired components are the same phase. Marketing the B450 Pro4 as having a 9 phase power design is misleading marketing (to put it nicely).
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic