ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

G3258 Overclock Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gamer34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamer34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 8:39pm
I'll leave the record breaking to the pros

Someone suggested I should be able to achieve a 4.5 GHz overclock with a 1.35V core and VCCIN set to 1.9V and that as long as my temps stay below 85C during the stress test I should be okay. Does that sound right? Also, maybe I missed it, but I can't find a VCCIN setting in the ASRock bios. Does it have a different name?

This was suggested to me because I was able to make it to the starting Windows screen with 4.5 at 1.3V. If I could boot past the bios with that setting then maybe it was possible to make it all the way into Windows with a stable overclock.

Edited by Gamer34 - 01 Nov 2015 at 8:49pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 12:43am
As you can see from my last post I try to stick to 1.3 or lower for every day use while pushing up to 1.45 for hardcore benchmarking. I wouldn't risk going any higher than 1.45 for stability at higher clocks, I have pushed my G3258 all the way up to 1.7v when I was trying for a 5ghz validation but that was with my PC on the balcony with the CPU fans running at full in -14c weather. Even then I hit 90c within seconds of booting windows and then got a BSOD. If you are looking to break records with OCing then you can take a few risks but if you just want a good stable OC then I would stick to about 1.35 on the high end. I currently hold the number 1 spot for a G3258 and a GTX 960 the Futuremark Firestrike rankings so my extreme seeming voltages were necessary to compete with other heavily overclocked systems. I would never run my PC at 1.45v 24 hours a day Wink
Gamer34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamer34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 11:56pm
Okay. There's so many setting I thought maybe something was set to auto that needed to be disabled to reach a higher speed. I'm using the stock cooler right now so maybe I should look into an aftermarket cooler. I see you were using voltages upwards of 1.45. What's the most I should attempt? Everything I've read said to stay near 1.30 and that 1.35 is too much. But there seems to be a lot of conflicting info when it comes to overclocking. As a newbie it makes my head spin.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 9:58pm
Welcome to the forums.

I have a G3258 clocked to 4.2ghz @1,28v. When I first purchased the CPU I had it on a B85 Anniversary and was able to get 4.5ghz @1.43v but anything higher resulted in BSODs, I then put it into a Z97 Extreme 3 and was able to get 4.6ghz @1.45v stable but with better cooling. Now when I say I was able to get 4.X I mean stable with 10 passes of IBT (Intel Burn in Test). You really need aftermarket cooling to get decent numbers out of the G3258, especially more recently produced CPUs. I have noted a trend where early production CPUs tend to overclock better, the closer the production date to the initial release the better. With proper cooling, like a Hyper 212 evo you should be able to hit 4.4ghz at about 1.4-1.45v even on a relatively modest overclocker. I generally run mine at 4.2 purely because that is the maximum I can get whilst still running my CPU cooler on lower, quieter fan settings. The 400mhz extra isn't really noticeable in most situations so I only set it to 4.6 for benchmark runs.

So in short, I doubt your board is holding you back, my B85 Anniversary probably could have hit the same 4.6 @1.45v if I had been using the same cooling solution I have on the Z97 system, a Thermaltake Frio OCK vs an old Arctic Cooling Freezer 12.
Gamer34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gamer34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 8:48pm
I'm trying to manually overclock a G3258 on a Z97M Anniversary board. I'd like to at least hit 4.4 GHz. Right now I can't get things stable with 4.0 GHz at 1.28v. I had to crack the voltage up to 1.34v in order to get Windows to fully boot at 4.1 GHz. It's possible I have a chip that won't overclock well, but before I give up I want to make sure the motherboard isn't holding me back. There's a lot of settings in the OC menu on auto right now. What settings should I be adjusting or disabling to assure the best overclock?

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic