ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi - trouble with RAM settings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Onox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi - trouble with RAM settings
    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 6:10pm
Ok, thank you.

This morning I had a freeze on Linux with "Power Supply Idle Control" on "Auto", so I set it back to "Typical Idle Current" for now.

Upgrading to BIOS 5.50 still seems risky since it does not have that option anymore and you can?™t downgrade, even though people say that this new version solves the freeze problem for them. However, for Linux, apparently you also need a kernel version greater than 4.18 for the freezes to stop, so I still find the whole thing unclear.

Another thing is that version 5.50 has a regression or bug about the CPU temperature monitoring and fan curves : see [URL=https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1627407-asrock-x370-taichi-overclocking-thread-497.html#post27970970]here[/URL] and the following posts
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 3:10am
I just played with this "insert a link" option...
Here again a simple text:
http://www.kernel42.de/rtc/G.Skill_F4-3200C14-16GTZ.html
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 3:09am
[URL=http://www.kernel42.de/rtc/G.Skill_F4-3200C14-16GTZ.html]My G-Skill 2xF4-3200C14-16GTZ data read with THAIPHOON BURNER:[/URL]

I use 1.37V for DRAM and 1.05V for the SOC.

And i suggest reading
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Memory_Tweaking_Overclocking_Guide

Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
Onox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Ray62 Ray62 wrote:

I solved the problem with the startup.
It was the activated "Fast Start" option on windows 10 shutdown!
I set it to deactive and the problem is gone.

I think, a windows update happend shortly before or after the bios update, changed the setting or the implementation of this stuff.
I cannot remember that i touched this windows option before.

So my memory settings still are stable.

Hi I am glad to hear that you have solved it ! Hm, I don't know whether I have "Fast Start" enabled... I'll have to check when I'm back on Windows

Given that we have almost exactly the same RAM (you are missing a D in your signature, don't you ? F4-3200C14D. I think the only difference is that I got those sticks in a kit, and the blacK White (KW) version), your settings would probably work for me too, but I'm not sure that I want to try them. What voltage are you using for the DRAM ? This is not shown on the images you posted on the previous page

Currently, I am using the XMP timings, DDR4-2666 for the frequency, and I lowered the DRAM voltage to 1.300 (although on Windows, HW Monitor shows 1.312-1.320). I have not tried to lower this voltage further. And I have 1.01875 V for the SOC voltage.

I was thinking that the tRFC value given by Ryzen Calculator for 2666 may be too low ? That could be why they did not work for me
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 3:01am
I solved the problem with the startup.
It was the activated "Fast Start" option on windows 10 shutdown!
I set it to deactive and the problem is gone.

I think, a windows update happend shortly before or after the bios update, changed the setting or the implementation of this stuff.
I cannot remember that i touched this windows option before.

So my memory settings still are stable.
Under test:
Onox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:32pm

Since bios 5.1 my board also most time gets stuck on startup with debug code 40. I press the reset button and then the board starts. Power button also works.
This is a cold boot issue and i totally forgot that.
I have the board and power supply on the desk without housing and use the buttons on the Mainbard. Switching supply on, after 3-5 seconds reset and 10 seconds later the OS login is there...

So my AM4 platform is still a test setup.

Oh, problem related to memory. Not good :( I hope that you can solve it. My mainboard is in the case (which doesn't have a window), and I didn't think of looking at the debug code when I was stuck. This morning, my cold boot went fine
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 6:26pm
Since bios 5.1 my board also most time gets stuck on startup with debug code 40. I press the reset button and then the board starts. Power button also works.
This is a cold boot issue and i totally forgot that.
I have the board and power supply on the desk without housing and use the buttons on the Mainbard. Switching supply on, after 3-5 seconds reset and 10 seconds later the OS login is there...

So my AM4 platform is still a test setup.
Under test:
Onox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 5:24pm

1.) Boot loop: Too much dependencies! Use correct settings or what do you expect to read?
As i posted, the calculater save settings may be not save enough.
Generate save settings and use them with a lower clock in the bios.
What you did with the profile for 3200 and freq change to 2666 has this effect too (good idea).

Actually, I probably badly explained my question! Sorry about that.

Here's what I meant : I know that the pc will reboot because of the memory training if the settings are too tight, but what I experienced yesterday seemed a little different : when I wrote that it was at first stuck in the loop, it actually did not reboot. The fans were just spinning at full speed, the screen was black, and the system just stayed in that state until I pressed the power button. This is what I really wanted to ask about. Is this a normal/expected thing, and what should I do if that happens again? (I'm going to leave the settings as they are now, but for future reference? )

Thank you again!
Onox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 3:49am

1.) Boot loop: Too much dependencies! Use correct settings or what do you expect to read?
What you did with the profile for 3200 and freq change to 2666 has this effect too (good idea).

Thank you! Yes, I understand what you say and I remember you said that the Calculator settings may not be safe enough My first question here was not asking which settings to use, but what should I do in case a PC enters a boot loop like this? Was it a good idea to press the power button? And when do you do a clear CMOS? I have never done this before at all
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 2:38am

2.) Use different tools like HWInfo, Aida, CPU-Z and compare. A little difference between Bios and tools under Windows are often seen.

3.) That is a normal behavior since a lot of processes/threads are running in the system. And the boost clock system of the CPU is very fast.

Under test:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic