ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TaiChi x470 Memory problems - Corsair Veng 3000
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

TaiChi x470 Memory problems - Corsair Veng 3000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigzler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TaiChi x470 Memory problems - Corsair Veng 3000
    Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:22am
Hi all,

Build:
TaiChi x470
Ryzen 7 2700X
Cosair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz (DDR4 2x16GB) (CMW32GX4M2C3000C15)

All verified via PC Part picker as compatible.

I'm struggling to get to get this working. Both Bios and CpuID show the full 32 GB, but windows is not registering it all (only using 16GB with another 16 "Hardware Reserved" - whatever that means):

What is more, I'd like to know the correct configuration for this RAM if possible. Namely:

a) Which are the right slots? (from the manual, I'm guessing A2 + B2?)
b) What to select as the correct XMP/timings??
c) Does running in single rather that double rank mode effect performance at all? (can't find a way to get the bios to run the ram in double)

I've tried lots of different combinations. Originally, an XMP option came up which was very simlar to my RAM, but at 3200MHz - chose this - resulted in the 16GB Windows ram.

Then did some reading and followed one suggestion that RAM timings should be set at 2400 if using 16GB sticks. Tried this (setting xmp and other profiles to "Auto") - same problem.

Also tired swapping the banks - no difference.

I'd be grateful if someone could advise as stuck with only half my RAM!
stigzler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigzler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 4:24am
Full link for that image:

https://ibb.co/KzR7c7B
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 5:04am
Hi!

I'm afraid 16GB sticks (from Corsair nonetheless) are just way too much of a burden for your setup. Sadly, pcpartpicker is rather retarded.

If you check around here you will see that Corsair doesn't play good with AM4 builds.

Typically, A2/B2 are the slots to go with just 2 sticks. You may however try A1/B1 as well.

I also recommend you clear CMOS each time you move a part. I would also consider a newer BIOS version in your case.

If none of the above help I'm afraid you will have to change the RAM.

I won't recommend Ryzen memory calculator in your case. I don't think your system will run stable with any settings.
stigzler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigzler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 5:41am
Thanks for the response. That sounds like bad news. I think my bios is the most current - P3.2?

What are the best 16GB sticks to buy?
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 10:58am
Hi @stigzler

I'm a Corsair ram user CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 and suffered many things like you but finally got it running nicely with timings seen in my sig. Thanks to many forum users here. Feel free to check my old posts and you will find much info and especially things to avoid.

As a very important start, I'm sorry to highlight that CMW32GX4M2C3000C15 is not officially compatible with x470 taichi, reference to link https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp#MemoryPR

Hence, you will need to use Dram calculator by 1usmus to find the near correct timings, software = https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-new-dram-calculator-ryzena-1-5-1-overclocking-dram-am4-membench-0-7-dram-bench.html

in order for it to calculate, you'll need a readout of your ram by Thaiphoon Burner http://www.softnology.biz/files.html and export to Dram calculator.

Those software are to help find out "roughly" the "possible" suitable timing for your ram. Some manual editing changes to the calculator results "MUST" be required. Cannot simply follow the calculator 100%. Not always works, but I'd say >90% correct, so just trial and error 1 digit here and there will be enough to compensate to find the best parameters.

Last tip, in Dram calculator, write down all results in V1, V2, Debug, then combine all highest/loose timing/numbers, I put my bet it should work 100%, I hope. It did for my case. If any section are tight timing then it might not boot/etc/etc/etc. So go safe go slow then slowly tune to be tighter and faster.

Good luck.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 6:08pm
i can only think of 3 possible things assuming its not a hardware problem

1, change it in msconfig > boot > advance options > maximum memory

2, ram is being used as page files

3, the bios allocates it due to the igp settings
stigzler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigzler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 4:24am
Originally posted by cx5 cx5 wrote:

Hi @stigzler

I'm a Corsair ram user CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 and suffered many things like you but finally got it running nicely with timings seen in my sig. Thanks to many forum users here. Feel free to check my old posts and you will find much info and especially things to avoid.

As a very important start, I'm sorry to highlight that CMW32GX4M2C3000C15 is not officially compatible with x470 taichi, reference to link https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp#MemoryPR

Hence, you will need to use Dram calculator by 1usmus to find the near correct timings, software = https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-new-dram-calculator-ryzena-1-5-1-overclocking-dram-am4-membench-0-7-dram-bench.html

in order for it to calculate, you'll need a readout of your ram by Thaiphoon Burner http://www.softnology.biz/files.html and export to Dram calculator.

Those software are to help find out "roughly" the "possible" suitable timing for your ram. Some manual editing changes to the calculator results "MUST" be required. Cannot simply follow the calculator 100%. Not always works, but I'd say >90% correct, so just trial and error 1 digit here and there will be enough to compensate to find the best parameters.

Last tip, in Dram calculator, write down all results in V1, V2, Debug, then combine all highest/loose timing/numbers, I put my bet it should work 100%, I hope. It did for my case. If any section are tight timing then it might not boot/etc/etc/etc. So go safe go slow then slowly tune to be tighter and faster.

Good luck.

Brilliant response thanks! I've got a dark as getting the figures from Dram calculator. However, not sure about what to change in the bios. Scary stuff. For example. Do I just set xmp to auto? Also, there is prudently a setting where my team comes up (ish - the 3200 verfion). Do I NOT set this and change everything else manually?

Do the dram calculator values map directly onto the bios?

Amy advice and guidance anyone could give much appreciated. Great forum!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 5:47am
OP, please don't get me wrong, I mean no offense with the next lines.

If you are really asking these questions I strongly recommend you just swap the RAM for a compatible kit. If top speed is not the goal there are some cheap and decent kits out there. You will save youself tons od hours tinkering and questionable stability in the long run.

What others are telling is true. It is plausible to belive you may het the RAM working. Is the price worth it, though?
stigzler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stigzler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 6:08am
None taken - just so ware of all options - what's the recommended 16GB sticks for this mobo (if I were to buy again).

Last time I trust PC parts picker!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 4:36pm
You can find all compatible kits here -> https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X470%20Taichi/index.asp#MemoryPR

Depending on your budget I suggest you aim for one of the G.Skill kits (2x16GB). F4-3200C15D-32GTZR for example is a very fast kit which would also cover your capacity needs. It is also one with a stellar Ryzen conpatibility record. There are cheaper variants too, if you prefer them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic