ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Upgrade to Ryzen 3600 on Fatal1ty AB350 gone wrong
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrade to Ryzen 3600 on Fatal1ty AB350 gone wrong

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edlebert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade to Ryzen 3600 on Fatal1ty AB350 gone wrong
    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 11:34pm
I have the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac with the old Ryzen 2200G, AMD RX 580, and Cruical MX500 NVMe SSD for the past year. Everything has been awesome.

Yesterday I attempted to upgrade my CPU to the new Ryzen 3600
1. Updated bios to 5.3.0 (required for bios 5.7.0)
2. Updated bios to 5.7.0
3. Ran some benchmarks. System seems stable with new bios and 2200G CPU.
4. Shut computer down and installed new 3600
5. System posts fine, but Crucial MX500 NVMe M.2 SSD not showing up. Can't boot into windows because there's no boot device.
6. Okay, put the old 2200G CPU in to try and isolate the problem.
7. System no longer POSTs with old CPU at all
8. Inspected 2200G pins and reseated it. Still no POST.
9. Put new 3600 CPU back in, it posts fine but still no NVMe.

I have tried reseating the NVMe multiple times, no luck.
I have tried scouring the bios for anything related to PCI/NVMe settings that would disable it, but no luck.
I have tried turning off the power, unplugging it, and resetting the CMOS. No luck.

Now I'm sad. If anyone out there has some advice for me, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 4:47am
Try clearing CMOS before you power up with the 2200g. That should get you back up and running with your original CPU.

That isn't the goal however, we want to see you up and running with your 3600. I would pick up a dirt cheap SATA SSD and install an OS on that. Once you can get into an OS it will be easier to see what's going on (diagnostic tools).

In the interim, check for bent pins on the 3600, if pins are bent or missing you could be losing PCIe lanes, lanes needed for the M.2 slot. Missing pins would be obvious, a gold pad without a pin that has a dot/stub where a pin should be.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
edlebert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edlebert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:25am
I was finally able to boot the old 2200G by clearing the CMOS before boot. Thanks! Also, my NVMe SSD was also visible again with the old CPU. So then I tried again with the new 3600, clearing the CMOS again, and it's still not visible. I physically inspected the CPU pins again and they're all present and straight.

So, ultimately, my ASRock B350 motherboard with a Ryzen 3600 is not able to see/use my NVMe SSD. My guess is that this is firmware related, and possibly related to the new PCIe 4.0 on the new CPUs. I should probably return the CPU and hope that ASRock releases a new bios, but I'm not too hopeful.
edlebert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edlebert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:08am
Scratch that. The Crucial MX500 is m.2, but it's SATA not NVMe. So I don't think the PCI express has anything to do with it.
blaww View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:13am
I'd just like to say that I'm also having this problem on the X360 Gaming ITX. I've been running BIOS 5.70 for a few days without issues but after upgrading from Ryzen 5 1600 to 3600 my SATA M.2 drive is no longer detected.
edlebert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edlebert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:21am
Ah, it feels good to know you're not the only one!
edlebert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edlebert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:15pm
I'm going to go out today and get a NVMe drive to see if the problem is restricted only to m.2 SATA.

I also wish I could edit the original post and/or title to update it to say m.2 SATA.
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:07am
I decided to post here just to give ASRock some feedback. I've been working up a number of systems with the 3600X and I have several B350 Gaming-itx/ac mobos. I am having serious trouble just getting the BIOS to post with the 3600X.

I upgraded one to BIOS 5.70 and it booted fine with the 2400G that was in there before. However, when I plugged in the 3600X the system got really unhappy.

* It takes around 15-20 tries before the BIOS will POST, often requiring a hard power cycle with the power switch on the PSU. I will describe the difficulty down below.

* I have an old Radeon 6450 GPU plugged in (to get a display). I also tried plugging in a far more modern RX580, but the behavior is similar (it might successfully post a little more often, but it still fails most of the time).

* When the BIOS does post, however, the system appears to come up fine.

* I tried many configurations. I tried the stock configuration, I tried undervolting, I tried turning on overclocking but setting the frequency low (3.8 GHz). I tried running the memory at various speeds including 2133. I tried changing the memory out. I tried a different PSU. I tried a more modern GPU (an RX580)... none of this messing around changes the POST behavior by much. Possibly changing out the GPU helps it post a little more often but the behavior is basically the same.

The BIOS post behavior is as follows:

* Power button. System powers on, CPU fan starts at low speed, system fan does not. GPU fan does not. No display (obviously). System is burning around 35W. The system always starts this way and will then proceed to behave in three different ways:

(1) The BIOS will power cycle the machine itself every 10-15 seconds or so. I observe the CPU fan turning off, then on again. The watt meter shows that the system power cycled itself. This will repeat many times (several minutes sometimes) until either the system posts or the system locks up.

(2) When the system posts, the CPU fan will cycle to full power and the case and GPU fans will also turn on. The system posts a few seconds later and works normally.

(3) Sometimes the CPU fan will cycle to full power and the case and GPU fans will turn on, but the system will fail to post (no display, no beep codes, nothing).   In this situation the power button no longer works... neither hitting the power button OR holding it down will power the machine down. I wind up having to switch the PSU off, wait a few seconds, then switch it on again.

(4) Sometimes the CPU fan remains at low speed and stops power cycling. Again the system has locked up. The power button does not work either momentary or held-down, requiring the PSU to be switched off and then on again.

Note that when the system does post, it seems to operate perfectly.

Note that this behavior is definitely BIOS / POST related. It occurs whether I have any storage connected up or not. That is, it has nothing to do with the operating system.

Note also that when this BIOS does post, it doesn't seem to recognize its own ethernet adapter so I can't (for example) pxeboot the box. USB recognition seems to be spotty too. SATA recognition appears to be reliable.

Finally, note that similar configurations on the B450 mobo with the latest BIOS for that mobo work perfectly. Its the B350 mobo that is having all the issues.

Hopefully this helps!

-Matt
Apizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 4:43am
Originally posted by edlebert edlebert wrote:

I have the Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac with the old Ryzen 2200G, AMD RX 580, and Cruical MX500 NVMe SSD for the past year. Everything has been awesome

Yap happened same to me so my temporary solution is using m.2 ssd adapter to sata cause im using ssd m.2 not nvme so the speed of data transfer is pretty the same hope asrock release the the fix bios
Teyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 5:22am
Originally posted by dillon dillon wrote:

I decided to post here just to give ASRock some feedback. I've been working up a number of systems with the 3600X and I have several B350 Gaming-itx/ac mobos. I am having serious trouble just getting the BIOS to post with the 3600X.

I upgraded one to BIOS 5.70 and it booted fine with the 2400G that was in there before. However, when I plugged in the 3600X the system got really unhappy.

* It takes around 15-20 tries before the BIOS will POST, often requiring a hard power cycle with the power switch on the PSU. I will describe the difficulty down below.

* I have an old Radeon 6450 GPU plugged in (to get a display). I also tried plugging in a far more modern RX580, but the behavior is similar (it might successfully post a little more often, but it still fails most of the time).

* When the BIOS does post, however, the system appears to come up fine.

* I tried many configurations. I tried the stock configuration, I tried undervolting, I tried turning on overclocking but setting the frequency low (3.8 GHz). I tried running the memory at various speeds including 2133. I tried changing the memory out. I tried a different PSU. I tried a more modern GPU (an RX580)... none of this messing around changes the POST behavior by much. Possibly changing out the GPU helps it post a little more often but the behavior is basically the same.

The BIOS post behavior is as follows:

* Power button. System powers on, CPU fan starts at low speed, system fan does not. GPU fan does not. No display (obviously). System is burning around 35W. The system always starts this way and will then proceed to behave in three different ways:

(1) The BIOS will power cycle the machine itself every 10-15 seconds or so. I observe the CPU fan turning off, then on again. The watt meter shows that the system power cycled itself. This will repeat many times (several minutes sometimes) until either the system posts or the system locks up.

(2) When the system posts, the CPU fan will cycle to full power and the case and GPU fans will also turn on. The system posts a few seconds later and works normally.

(3) Sometimes the CPU fan will cycle to full power and the case and GPU fans will turn on, but the system will fail to post (no display, no beep codes, nothing).   In this situation the power button no longer works... neither hitting the power button OR holding it down will power the machine down. I wind up having to switch the PSU off, wait a few seconds, then switch it on again.

(4) Sometimes the CPU fan remains at low speed and stops power cycling. Again the system has locked up. The power button does not work either momentary or held-down, requiring the PSU to be switched off and then on again.

Note that when the system does post, it seems to operate perfectly.

Note that this behavior is definitely BIOS / POST related. It occurs whether I have any storage connected up or not. That is, it has nothing to do with the operating system.

Note also that when this BIOS does post, it doesn't seem to recognize its own ethernet adapter so I can't (for example) pxeboot the box. USB recognition seems to be spotty too. SATA recognition appears to be reliable.

Finally, note that similar configurations on the B450 mobo with the latest BIOS for that mobo work perfectly. Its the B350 mobo that is having all the issues.

Hopefully this helps!

-Matt

Hey Matt,

strange, I'm experiencing all the same discribed issues with a B450 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/ac and my new Ryzen 5 3600. Exactly the same. I contacted the German support but there only guess is a defectice CPU. My guess is, that AGESA 1.0.0.1 is unstable in various configurations and I'm waiting for a new BIOS. MSI draw back all BIOS Versions they released with AGESA 1.0.0.1 caus of instability.

Nils
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic