ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AsRock X370 fan temperature source

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiritreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AsRock X370 fan temperature source
    Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:15pm
Hi,

I noticed that since AGESA 0.0.7.2 the option to set the CPU socket sensor (not Tctrl/Tdie) was removed from the temperature source menu in the manual fan control settings (where you can just enter values).

Is there any specific reason? Will it come back in a later bios version? It's still missing in the 1.0.0.1 version (for my X370 K4 that's 5.40)

I used the socket sensor measurement to counteract the Ryzen temperature spikes because the CPU socket sensor has a slower ramp up that allowed me to configure more refined fan profiles without sudden fan spooling.

Thanks!
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:30pm
You mean AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.1

Which CPU you are using?
The last update for 1000/2000 Ryzen was AGESA PinnaclePI-AM 1.0.0.6 -> 5.10 X370 K4. Newer bios versions for these CPUs are not required.

Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
Spiritreader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiritreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 8:23am

I'm currently using a 1700, but I'm upgrading to a 3700x/3800x soon, so it will become relevant then.

Just seems like a regression to me that the socket sensor as temp source is missing now when there's no way to set a spin up / spin down time.
Onox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 6:06pm
Hi. I was told some time ago that the option to use the CPU socket sensor has been permanently removed because that sensor was stuck/not working for some people, which is a very bad decision in my opinion since it does work for others (including myself). This was also mentioned here : http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9701&PN=5&title=fatal1ty-b450-gaming-k4-fan-control-doesnt-work :

"With the newest BIOS, there will only be monitoring Tctrl and monitor MB provided..
Monitoring thermistor has been removed.
Also with Tctrl, we have tuned fan curves for it, so the fan should not be changing rapidly when choosing Tctrl as before.

Comes from Asrock Support))))"
Spiritreader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spiritreader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 8:34am
Yeah, I don't think that's a good decision either.

My system runs noticable hotter if I have to use Tctrl, because I need to configure my fan curve in a way that it doesn't really ramp up until 60°C to catch the spikes.

In the meantime I've installed SpeedFan (yes, somehow still works on this board) and set a custom fan curve there that uses the CPU socket sensor.

The post y<ou linked only mentions B4xx X4xx systems, I wonder why AsRock chose to remove them on X3xx and B3xx as well, since I've never heard of any issues with the socket sensor there.

R7 1700x @3.725 1.264V
16GB 2933MT/s CL14 Micron E-Die
X370 Gaming K4
Palit GeForce 1070
BeQuiet E10 600W
256GB 970 Evo NVMe
256GB SanDisk Ultra II SATA
4TB WD Blue
8TB WD White
garych View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:59am
I also noticed that on X370 Taichi since BIOS 5.50 and up, the option
"Monitor Tctrl" is removed, and "Monitor CPU" is now using Tctrl.
I miss that option, but it seems that at least they added temperature hysteresis of ~2?? which helps my DC fans to stay off or on for longer during afk times with no load.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic