ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x570 Taichi - all the issues I've had thus far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cecil_Montgomery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x570 Taichi - all the issues I've had thus far
    Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 5:29pm
Just to be clear, this is not an angry rant post, but rather an explanation of the issues I've experienced trying to get this system up and running, in the hopes that someone out there in ASRock land either has a solution, or realises these are issues and takes steps to resolve them going forward.

By way of background, I'll spec out my system:

Mainboard: x570 Taichi
CPU: 3900x
RAM: 16gb(2x8) Corsair Dominator 3600C18 (CMT16GX4M2C3600C18)
Storage: Corsair Force Series MP510 1920GB M.2 NVME SSD
Case: Lian Li PC 0-11 Dynamic
GPU: EVGA GTX1080 SC
Cooler: Corsair H1150iPro 360mm AIO
Case cooling: 3x Corsair ML120 fans
PSU: Corsair HX750i

I'd like to note that the ram is listed as compatible with the motherboard on ASRock's website. That being said, here are the issues:

USB-C Header: This USB type C header is directly in line with the top PCIE slot on the mainboard. Even though my case has a connector with a right-angle plug on it, it still sticks up too far once plugged in to allow the GPU to connect into the PCIE slot. Instead, the rear of the GPU touches down on the connector before the card is close enough to plug in. I expect this will be an issue on most large GPUs, and I expect most people buying a motherboard this high up the product stack are putting such a GPU in their system. I have temporarily resolved the issue with a vertical GPU riser, but that won't work once I upgrade to a PCIE gen 4 GPU. Does the 2nd slot support full kx16 if the first is unoccupied? If so, that might be a solution.

Fan Noise: defaulting the bios to have max RPM at all times is not a good look for your mainboard (I know tom's hardware were savage in their review because of the noise). As soon as I powered it up, my heart sank and I thought "what have I done!" Once I found the "quiet" setting in Bios, that made it a bit better, but once the chipset gets past 60-65C, the fan is again the loudest part of my PC, even on the "quiet" profile.

Ram compatibility: As mentioned above, I have 3600mhz ram, albeit with fairly loose timings. I bought this because AMD specify that this is the sweet spot for Infinity Fabric clock speeds. enabling XMP profiles on the out-of-the-box bios worked a treat, but updating the BIOS meant that as soon as I re-engaged XMP the machine failed to get past the post screen. I slowly back-stepped through the BIOS revisions, determining that 1.21 is the most recent BIOS that allows my PC to boot with XMP enabled.

CPU clock speeds: Obviously now all my attempts to extract performance from my CPU have to be done on BIOS 1.21. In this bios revision, I cannot find any way to get the CPU to naturally boost past 3.9ghz even on single core workloads, even turning PBO up as high as I could. I then went in and manually overclocked, being stable at 4.1ghz all core and 1.3v with almost no effort. Unfortunately, switching it back to Auto leaves it booting in 4.1 manual clock, and the only way to get the system to think it's in normal boost mode is to clear the CMOS.

So here I am. Running my GPU on a header because it won't plug in the slot it's meant to without hitting another connector, and running a 4.1ghz all core "overclock" because I can't upgrade my bios version any higher without tanking my ram speed...

Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions? Obvious things I've overlooked?
Jakob84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakob84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:00pm
yea seems the usb c header is not really in a optimal spot on that board.... i have the x470 taichi. On that board its placed slightly higher so there is clearence for gpus... i never use the header though.

What do you use the usb c for?

Dont use PBO. Its still very iffy on most boards. Needs some work from amd i think. I cant even boot with pbo atm but my 3700x clocks easy 4200 1.35v manual overclock.

How are you thermals? if the cpu is too hot it wont boost very high...
Cecil_Montgomery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cecil_Montgomery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 7:13pm
I have a type C phone I connect. It doesn't have to connect to that spot, I just feel like there has to be a better long term solution than "never use that header because ASRock stuffed up", but it is my Plan B.

Thermals are decent. even running multiple all core cinebench runs back to back (like 12) I can't get the Ryzen Master temp reading to ever hit 80 (and that's at 1.3v). Idle is about 41, and single core workloads it doesn't really break 50. AIO water temp is about 30 (ambient of 25). Running everything on auto, I've had it actually sit at 3750 (good effort for a 3800 base clock) on all core workloads with the temps in the 60's. Long story short, unless I clock it to 4.2 all core and 1.325v (which is slightly unstable, haven't looked into why yet), the temps never leave the green zone in Ryzen Master.

I'm thinking of just leaving it on 4.1 all core manual clock, and waiting a few weeks for some BIOS maturity at this piont. Would be good to know if PCIE slot 2 runs 16 lanes to the CPU if slot 1 is unoccupied though. Putting the GPU down there would solve quire a few problems at once...
Jakob84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakob84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 8:12pm
pretty sure you can only get display on pcie 0.
brucer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2019 at 9:16pm
These ryzen 3000's are also limited by temperature.. Are you sure you're not being limited by cooling issues?
Asrock x570 Taichi, Ryzen3800x, 32gb Gskill Royal 36000mhz@ 3733mhz, Samsung 250gb 970evo plus for OS drive, Sabrent Rocket 1tb nvme storage drive.
Cecil_Montgomery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cecil_Montgomery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2019 at 8:42am
Originally posted by brucer brucer wrote:

These ryzen 3000's are also limited by temperature.. Are you sure you're not being limited by cooling issues?

Based on a few comments on here I've gone back and done a LOT more testing. I've tried the latest bios (with default ram speeds, because XMP won't work with 1.60), v 1.21 with XMP, default out of the box settings, PBO maxxed out, etc. etc.

Leaving the CPU to do it's own thing, the best I got was a single core boost to 4.2ghz, and the Ryzen Master temp was in the 50's. The all core on that setup ran 1.4v and 3.9ghz, so it hit 80c in one run and was still slow...

The best all-core I've gotten was 4.0ghz which it ran at 1.35v, peaking at 80c (not suprising given the voltage).

My manual OC I've settled on is a 4.15ghz at 1.3125v. This is stable single core load at 52c. All cores loaded up i couldn't get Ryzen Master to read over 78c even after 10 back-to-back cinebench R20 runs.

I think the out-of box performance on all cores is actually pretty right on the later versions of the bios (comparing to Gamers Nexus temp/boost testing), its just unfortunate it default pumps more volts into it than it needs to be stable.

It's the single core not boosting that's the issue (combind with the XMP and the usb-c port issues, obviously). Withe everything sitting at just over HALF max allowable levels, it just refuses to turn up the wick even close to what it says it will do on the box...
mrgadget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 4:42am
Just regarding the fan, I had similar experience and first POST gave me buyer's remorse for a while.

After playing with the settings and trying out different stuff, the easiest solution is to install ASRock Atuning.

With this you can easily configure fan curves, you can test fan speeds etc. What I have noticed is that temps for chipset are around 59 - 62 celcius, regardless if fan spins 2500, 3000 or 6000 rpm.

So I have set SB_Fan so that until 63C it is 25% and 65C 30%, these are basically silent and temps won't exceed at least for me higher.

If you have much higher temps you need to plan airflow better.

On a final note, X570 is either on or off, so it doesn't undervolt on light use. So the temps what you'll see idling in BIOS are your regular temps. Try to be around 60 celcius mark.

mrgadget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 4:46am
Also try setting everything on Auto in your BIOS and instead tweak Windows power profiles, AMD Robert has more info on. his Reddit post. sorry I am on mobile, would have linked otherwise.

Just saying minimize manual stuff as you'll interfere with what AMD has planned and most likely you won't gain huge performance boost.
mrgadget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 4:57am
Originally posted by Jakob84 Jakob84 wrote:

pretty sure you can only get display on pcie 0.

Tech City (YouTube) did analysis on VRM overheating and as a one solution he moved GPU to lower slot.

OP, manual says every PCI-E slot is x16 so try moving to middle slot, this fixes your usb-c header problem.

U recommend this, interesting video and MB is x570 taichi, he also has reviewed on another video:

https://youtu.be/D5l1MUMHXt0
mrgadget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrgadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 5:02am
Sorry for spamming but remember rear has 1x usb-c and you can buy 4pack (0,5m, 1m, 2m, 3m) usb-c cables from Amazon like 8 euro/USD :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic