ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 3000 series support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 108>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xcomp666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 12:36am
On AMD forums, They confirmed that already sent a new AGESA version to ASRock. Probably this BIOS release will show up in a couple of weeks ( after QA tests).     
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 12:39am
Originally posted by ncc1701z ncc1701z wrote:

B450 Pro4 user here.

Previously I was using a Ryzen 5 2400G with the 1.80 BIOS, everything worked fine.

Then trying to prepare an upgrade to Ryzen 5 3600, I updated the BIOS to 3.50; after that everytime I make any single change in the BIOS my Adata SX8200 won't be able to boot, forcing me to use the default. I had to clear CMOS every time to make it able to boot again. During this time I was using two Team Elite DDR4-2666 sticks that worked fine on dual channel without XMP (it wasn't a dual channel kit).

Finally I upgraded to the CPU mentioned above; also upgraded the RAM to a Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz dual channel kit. Now not only my PC suffers from very slow boot like many others, it always resets each time the PC is turned on and passed the POST, and the XMP Profile can't be loaded because the BIOS still don't allow any changes to be made.

Reading from above posts it seems I'm not the only one with this situation.
I understand this is part of an early adopter problem, however I suspect AGESA is not the only culprit here. I hope the next BIOS fixed all this and that it comes real soon.

These issues are fairly common across all manufacturers, there may be a few issues specific to one brand or another but for the most part, the issues are effecting everyone (brand wise). Honestly, the forums have been rather quiet compared to first and second gen launches. I can't decide if it's because AMD did better this time out or if Ryzen users are just prepared for issues this time. The AGESA is responsible for about 90% of the issues people are having at this point, yes, there is that 10% and that is specific to board design, some models will have problems yet others won't depending on board specs and layout.

One of the key issues is BIOS ROM size, lower tier boards have smaller ROMs and can't accommodate the much larger BIOS files now being released. This requires the AGESA and customized code to be pruned to fit, needless to say, the more needs changing the more potential for issues. Lower tier boards are designed to cut cost in every possible way in order to provide the best possible quality and features for the lowest price. One of the pricier components on a board is the BIOS ROM. I would guess that no manufacturer predicted how large Ryzen UEFI code would get between all the microcode for CPUs through generations and necessary optimizations for each subsequent architecture. New territory that both AMD and it's board partners have had to navigate.

If you have not checked JZ's very helpful site for Beta BIOS versions for your board? I believe a lot of people have had good luck with them already. ASRock is monitoring this thread to get feedback on both issues with released BIOSes and the Betas that people are testing out.

I have tested what I can with my x370 boards and my 1600x but I didn't have any issues with any of the BIOS versions and my particular hardware combinations. I will be seeing about getting a 3000 series CPU and a 500 series board so I can test things out for myself and be more useful on the forums than just writing reassuring words.

Good luck all and keep up the useful posts
cerror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote cerror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 12:47am
Why not release a bios with 2000X and 3000X only support.
Just mention it explicitly at the bios download page.
cerror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cerror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 1:03am
My problems with the 3700X and a Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac:
Turn the pc on and

- No case fans, AIO turns on + cpu fan.. black screen, nothing happens.
- Reboots itself
- Point 1 and 2 a couple of times.
- Suddenly casefans start spinning at roughly 30% for about 10 seconds.
- Casefans ramp up to a 100%
- Now either one of two things happen with mostly this first thing:
1 . The casefans stay ramped up to a 100% and nothing else happens
2. They slow down to 30% after 8 seconds, then ramp up again shortly. and the bios screen appears.
- When I save the bios, once every 20 tries, it goes and boots windows. All the other times, the casefans ramp up to a 100% and stay there. And of course nothing happens.
Hans_Bethe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hans_Bethe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 1:38am
Originally posted by guc guc wrote:

I have a memory training problem.

When turning the system on, it powers up and down several times before I even get the monitor to turn on and the BIOS screen to come available.
Sometimes it goes thru this cycle and gets to the BIOS and boots, and others it gets stuck and does not finish POST.

When it boots all the way, it works fantastic and I can even reboot and get to the BIOS config and change some parameters. But on a full power cycle, it apparently looses BIOS configurations and does the long POST/BOOT cycle again.

Anyone else with the same long POST problem?

This is exactly what I am observing. Booting for me is a kind of lottery.

I also do have the impression that the Board is struggeling with the RAM.

Regards

Hans
ASRock B450M Pro4 BIOS 3.60
Ryzen 5 3600
Crucial P1 SSD NVMe in M.2 Ultra
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 DIMM CL16
cerror View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cerror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Hans_Bethe Hans_Bethe wrote:

Originally posted by guc guc wrote:

I have a memory training problem.

When turning the system on, it powers up and down several times before I even get the monitor to turn on and the BIOS screen to come available.
Sometimes it goes thru this cycle and gets to the BIOS and boots, and others it gets stuck and does not finish POST.

When it boots all the way, it works fantastic and I can even reboot and get to the BIOS config and change some parameters. But on a full power cycle, it apparently looses BIOS configurations and does the long POST/BOOT cycle again.

Anyone else with the same long POST problem?

This is exactly what I am observing. Booting for me is a kind of lottery.

I also do have the impression that the Board is struggeling with the RAM.

Regards

Hans

Basically the same indeed.
sebastianer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebastianer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 6:21am
Originally posted by cerror cerror wrote:

Why not release a bios with 2000X and 3000X only support.
Just mention it explicitly at the bios download page.

I think this would be an excellent approach. I think it would be better if they release a bios for Zen 2 only.

This way, people with Zen or Zen+ would stay with the most stable version available for 1st/2nd gen, without getting affected by Zen 3 unstable BIOS.

In my opinion AMD should publish some web page with the "Golden" AGESA version for each generation.

To me, sounds like my B450 ITX doesn't know how to handle all the 3 Zen generations and start rolling a dice everytime a new power cycle begins in my PC, until it finally boots, resetting UEFI settings in the process....
MB: ASRock B450 ITX (P3.70)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: Ballistix BLS2K8G4D32AESTK
SSD: Crucial P1 500 NVME
GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX1080
PSU: Enermax ERX530AWT --> Corsair RM650x (CP-9020178)
maelstromm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maelstromm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 10:09am
Originally posted by cerror cerror wrote:

My problems with the 3700X and a Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac:
Turn the pc on and
- No case fans, AIO turns on + cpu fan.. black screen, nothing happens.
- Reboots itself
- Point 1 and 2 a couple of times.
- Suddenly casefans start spinning at roughly 30% for about 10 seconds.
- Casefans ramp up to a 100%
- Now either one of two things happen with mostly this first thing:
1 . The casefans stay ramped up to a 100% and nothing else happens
2. They slow down to 30% after 8 seconds, then ramp up again shortly. and the bios screen appears.
- When I save the bios, once every 20 tries, it goes and boots windows. All the other times, the casefans ramp up to a 100% and stay there. And of course nothing happens.

Exact same combination of motherboard and processor. But my problem is that it goes through this cycle every time my machine goes to sleep. It will turn on but all my bios settings have been reset. I am running bios 3.40. Thinking of reverting back to 3.30. It wasn't this bad on that build.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 1:08pm
From all I have seen so far it seems AGESA 1.0.0.3AB has taken strides in addressing more wide spread issues, if history is any gauge there will likely be one or two more revisions before less common issues get tackled. Annoying as this may be, it's still better than first gen where a new AGESA would fix one issue and create 5 new ones.

For all of you experiencing looping boot issues, make sure you have PBO disabled. PBO is still problematic on 1.0.0.3ab and in some cases seems enabled by default. I would assume issues caused by this will be worse on ITX boards with their smaller VRM design.
srdjan1995 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srdjan1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 5:20pm
Any news on new bios releases for 300 series motherboards, like my AB350 Pro4?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 108>
  Share Topic