ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 3000 series support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 108>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 1:54pm
So glad I got an X470 Taichi Ultimate

I get being a little behind others but this is nuts, We got the Destiny 2 BIOS update THREE weeks after the regular Taichi got it, how long do we need to wait for this one?

The board has been stable and my overall experience on a hardware level has been good but the support leaves alot to be desired especially considering this is the flagship X470 product.
FK!ASRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FK!ASRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 2:16pm
This is fuking nuts. Other motherboard producers update bios for all motherboards but not ASRock. FK you ASRock!
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 3:53pm
Come on!
For the important ComboAM4 1.0.0.3AB(B) Asrock was updating in time.
The ComboAM4 1.0.0.3ABBA update is more likely a "nice to have" regarding the boost clocks for Matisse.
And only one vendor has ABBA bios updates for their complete mainboard line (including 300 chipset boards), but for AB(B) they had been the last.

The next important fixes/updates will come with the next AGESA, probably ComboAM4 1.0.0.4 from AMD.

The real bad thing could be the increased AGESA size and resulting bios image for 128Mb flash chips. That means additional integrating, merging and optimzing work for each mainboard bios.
This also could be the reason for the ABBA delay...
Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
SKYPREDA7OR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKYPREDA7OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 6:33pm
May I ask anyone when will BIOS Agesa 1003 ABBA will be released for B450 boards,
in this case, mine is B450M-PRO4. But ASRock just provides an update of Agesa 1003abba only for X570 boards, what happens to the rest of the boards, that BIOS, as we all know, has the FIX for boost clock issues on 3000 series CPUs.
Does anyone have information on this one?
sebastianer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebastianer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Ray62 Ray62 wrote:

Come on!
For the important ComboAM4 1.0.0.3AB(B) Asrock was updating in time.
The ComboAM4 1.0.0.3ABBA update is more likely a "nice to have" regarding the boost clocks for Matisse.
And only one vendor has ABBA bios updates for their complete mainboard line (including 300 chipset boards), but for AB(B) they had been the last.

The next important fixes/updates will come with the next AGESA, probably ComboAM4 1.0.0.4 from AMD.

The real bad thing could be the increased AGESA size and resulting bios image for 128Mb flash chips. That means additional integrating, merging and optimzing work for each mainboard bios.
This also could be the reason for the ABBA delay...

In that case, they should keep dropping older CPUs (unless there is a real benefit for them) and focus on the new ones.

Parallely, if the old CPUs gain "something" from a newer 2019 AGESA version, then ASRock could release a separate BIOS for older CPUs.

They just can't fit all the CPUs in one BIOS image.

Anyway, If I had a Zen/Zen+ CPU I'd stay with the golden stable BIOS unless there is a security leak that requires me to update to a newer bios.

Therefore, different BIOS images per group of CPUs would be ideal.
MB: ASRock B450 ITX (P3.70)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: Ballistix BLS2K8G4D32AESTK
SSD: Crucial P1 500 NVME
GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX1080
PSU: Enermax ERX530AWT --> Corsair RM650x (CP-9020178)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by SKYPREDA7OR SKYPREDA7OR wrote:

May I ask anyone when will BIOS Agesa 1003 ABBA will be released for B450 boards,
in this case, mine is B450M-PRO4. But ASRock just provides an update of Agesa 1003abba only for X570 boards, what happens to the rest of the boards, that BIOS, as we all know, has the FIX for boost clock issues on 3000 series CPUs.
Does anyone have information on this one?

As far as I have seen, the ABBA update only addressed the boost clock "issue". I
put the word issue in quotes because it doesn't really change performance to any
extent worth being stressed out over. On my X570 Taichi my Cinebench scores
actually went down by a few points (less than 1%). Everyone has been clamoring
about this wonder update that is going to net them huge performance gains but the
reality is that is just makes the CPU hit it's rated boost clock, typically about
a 25 - 50mhz bump up from previous versions. IMO, its likely AMD was just afraid
of lawsuits so made sure the clocks are hit so no one can claim false
advertising.
Bilko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

As far as I have seen, the ABBA update only addressed the boost clock "issue". I
put the word issue in quotes because it doesn't really change performance to any
extent worth being stressed out over. On my X570 Taichi my Cinebench scores
actually went down by a few points (less than 1%). Everyone has been clamoring
about this wonder update that is going to net them huge performance gains but the
reality is that is just makes the CPU hit it's rated boost clock, typically about
a 25 - 50mhz bump up from previous versions. IMO, its likely AMD was just afraid
of lawsuits so made sure the clocks are hit so no one can claim false
advertising.

I don't think most people would expect a huge improvement (if any) from this update, it's a quality of life and piece of mind update which to some is important.

As I said in my previous post I am happy with the board on a hardware level, I am however disappointed in the length of time required to get updates for it.
I even gave an example in my post about the BIOS fix for Destiny 2, there was a 3 week gap between the X470 Taichi (2019/8/6) and X470 Taichi Ultimate (2019/8/27) for the 1.0.0.3 ABB update, personally didn't affect me as I don't play Destiny 2 but I bet it affected quite a few others.

On the topic of the 1.0.0.3 ABBA update I really wouldn't mind if there was an approximate date given for the release of it (mainly so I can stop checking the page every day) but as it stands there's no public information provided (that I can find) from ASRock about it.

I chose this board to gain some personal experience with ASRock as a brand even though there were arguably better options for me, the days of 990FX left me with a sour taste in my mouth concerning ASRock and everything I read about X370 didn't improve that so I took the plunge with X470, as again the hardware is fine, it's been a very stable board for me but communication and updates for their flagship model have been lackluster to say the least.

All in all I'd just like to see some statement about this, whether they choose to delay until the next AGESA version or ship the update tomorrow I don't mind.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 2:42pm
I get it, it is frustrating waiting on updates, especially if you are waiting
for fixes. The problem with BIOS updates is that it's almost impossible to give
a set time-frame. More than half the time you might be able to predict when an
update will be ready but if you outright claim say "in 2 weeks" and then hit a
hurdle that delays things and can't hit that deadline there is a huge uproar,
far more than if you just say nothing. Then haul ass to try and get it out ASAP.

ASRock like all manufacturers is 2 things, the products and those that work on
them and then the business. On the business side you have to be careful not to
make promises you may not be able to keep. It sucks but that's just how things
are. I would love to see more transparency in the industry but I don't think it
will ever happen.

Imagine manufacturers all provided deadline information to the public, what do
you think they will do to compete with each other? Brand A claims a date 2
weeks from now, Brand B is larger and has more resources so they throw some
money and staff at it so they can claim 1 week then Brand C, afraid of losing
market share, force all their support staff to work overtime and claim 5 days
only to launch a rushed, buggy and unfinished update that causes problems. Even
without set dates we already see a race to release updates.

As for the Taichi Ultimate updates coming out so long after the non Ultimate
ones, I think that is likely because many more non Ultimate boards are in
circulation. Again, business, rather have the minority complain than the
majority. This is especially true if the higher profit from a flagship is not
outweighed by bulk profit from lower margin boards.

I know this doesn't really help anyone waiting on updates but a bit of
understanding into how these things work never goes amiss.

Edited by Xaltar - 03 Oct 2019 at 2:54pm
Bilko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 2:55pm
I get how this works I really do and I understand ASRock isn't as big as others but that still doesn't excuse the lack of information or the lack of updates.

As for the Ultimate vs regular part, all that tells me is never buy the flagship product because the support will always be sub par.

Updates or no updates it needs to be communicated to users (customers) even if there is no given time frame whether or not this update should be expected or not.

I'm not asking for a specific date, I'm asking for an approximate date, at this point it doesn't matter if brand B/C/D beats them to it because they already have, B350 and X370 boards from other brands already have the ABBA AGESA meanwhile ASRock doesn't even have them for their flagship X470 products.

Again, very little excuse for the lack of communication considering this is ASRocks own forum.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2019 at 3:16pm
There is the problem right there, this is a community forum, not Tech Support.
Tech Support stop in here and make the occasional post but ASRock does not use
the forum as an outlet for information.

I communicate what information I am able to obtain through my contacts but I
only get told so much. I would like to see the forums grow and become better
utilized for such things. All I can do for now however is keep sharing what I
can and try to help people wherever possible. Tech Support posts here a lot
more frequently than they used to. Things are evolving and growing.

As for flagship boards, I hear you. It isn't a problem on the intel side as
they tend to become obsolete as soon as the socket changes for a new generation
but with AMD, I think the longer support cycle has thrown a wrench in the
works. I personally wouldn't buy a flagship unless it has a feature that I need
that other models do not, so the 10gb/s LAN on the Taichi Ultimate for example.
I believe at the time the Ultimate launched the price difference between it and
the standard Taichi was less than the cost of an add in 10gb/s LAN controller.
ASRock's flagships tend to be of the "look what we can do" variety with a focus
on adding incredible features and attempting to do something no one else is.
It's what attracted me to the brand. It is a double edged sword however.

You can always try sending a support ticket. I find ASRock to be quite helpful
in their responses and I frequently test their Support Ticket system
(anonymously). Typically I get a response within days of submitting a ticket.

Edited by Xaltar - 03 Oct 2019 at 3:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 108>
  Share Topic