ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X570 Taichi: Thunderb 3 OK, but USB-C causes BSoD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Taichi: Thunderb 3 OK, but USB-C causes BSoD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLPPasRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Taichi: Thunderb 3 OK, but USB-C causes BSoD
    Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 6:22pm
Hi,

I hope I can get assistance troubleshooting this issue here. I KNOW it's not an supported configuration since I'm using EVIL Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge Thunderbolt AICs with an ASRock motherboard.

The reaseon I'm doing this is because unfortunately the ASRock Thunderbolt 3 AIC only use the outdated first-generation Thunderbolt 3 chipset (Alpine Ridge) whereas the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge uses, as the product name suggests the second-generation Titan Ridge chipset. For me this is relevant since only Titan Ridge supports DisplayPort 1.4 connections which I'm actually using.

Configuration details:

- The X570 Taichi is running UEFI version 1.70A
- Gigabyte AIC installed in PCIe slot 5, USB 2.0 and TB Header cables are plugged in, also external mDP connections to GPU
- Thunderbolt is enabled in motherboard?™s UEFI
- Using the latest versions of Win 10 1903 and the Thunderbolt drivers (1.41.648.4)

Additional details:

- 3700X, no overclocking
- 2 x 16 GiB Crucial ECC DDR4-2666
- GPU: Radeon Pro WX8200 in PCIe 1
- 0.5 m mDP-mDP (1.2) cables from GPU to TB AIC
- The TB3 AIC is very firmly installed, doesn?™t jiggle at all when plugging a device into or unplugging it from its Type C ports
- The BSOD also appears when plugging an USB thumb drive into a connected USB hub so there is absolutely no mechanical stress on the TB3 AIC.
- Ethernet: Intel XL710 QDA2 in PCIe 3
- All devices including X570 chipset with latest publicly released drivers available at this time (chipset driver release from July 31st)

Issue description:

- The two Thunderbolt 3 Type C ports seem to work fine (tested various adapters, USB 3.1-SATA adapter, USB-C to 4 x Type A 10 Gbps USB hub) when the devices are connected when the system is still powered off

- When plugging an mere USB Type C device (not a Thunderbolt device) into or unplugging one from the TB3 type C ports I get a BSOD (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR)

- Thunderbolt works seemingly fine, however it only negotiates a 20 GbE networking link between the GC-Titan Ridge AIC and a Mac mini 2018 (also with Titan Ridge TB3 controller) with a 2.0 m Belkin TB 3 cable that is rated for 40 GbE/100 W (but without DisplayPort capability for some reason)

- So it seems the BSoD is caused whenever the Intel USB 3.1 controller built-into the TB3 AIC or DisplayPort Hotplugging comes into play

Things I've tried without any effect:

- Tested a second unit of the GC-Titan Ridge AIC

- Changed the internal motherboard header and power cables to the GC-Titan Ridge AIC

- Changed DP ports on the GPU that are connected to the GC-Titan Ridge AIC

- Newly installed Win 10 Pro 1903 on an erased SSD (and BIOS/MBR setup instead of UEFI)

- New AMD chipset drivers that came out July 31st

- Tried the more current AMD Radeon Consumer driver package instead of the enterprise one for the WX 8200

- Tried s different GPU (NVIDIA Quadro P2000, also with DP 1.4), same result

Any idea what?™s causing this? I know that this is an unsupported configuration but I hope it can be fixed somehow.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
wilshing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wilshing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 6:36pm
It mentions below limitations on x570 taichi page. Even you us ASRock AIC, it will also has these issues.

I think for usb devices, you should avoid using ports on AIC.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570%20Taichi/

Thunderbolt 3 AIC Header
Thunderbolt 3 is no longer limited to certain chipset, ASRock is the first motherboard manufacturer to skillfully implement the Thunderbolt 3 technology onto AMD X570 motherboards. All you need is a Thunderbolt 3 AIC R2.0 card!
*1: Only three TB3 devices can be detected.
*2 : Some USB 3.2 Type-C devices will cause system reboot after wake up from S3/S4.
*3 : Cannot light up the TB3 monitor after wake up from S3/S4, re-plug the cable is needed.
*4 : Does not support Thunderbolt 3 PCIe graphics card box.

Ryzentosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ryzentosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 3:17pm
Excellent post wilshing. Thank you for that.
It sounds like I may need to get a Titan Ridge card and try that out if that's the latest. Even if by Gigabyte.

I have a Gigabyte TB3 card new in box. I'll take a look and see if it is Titan ridge. If so I'll give it a shot next.

Was the cable pin compatible with the motherboard?

I'm surprised to hear that the Asrock card is not a Titan ridge. They have Rev2.0 out supposedly but I can't seem to find it online anywhere to buy. I wonder if that is newer and a Titan Ridge or will at least work.

I ended up buying the Asrock Thunderbolt AIC Rev 1.0 without knowing there even existed a 2.0 as I just read my motherboard manual and it didn't state I needed a Rev 2.0 AIC. So I thought I was good to go.

On the website now it lists all the new x570 boards EXCEPT my X570 Pro4. Weird. I wonder if this was an oversight? Or intentional?

I'm on bios 1.30 and now wonder if buying the Pro4 wasn't the value I thought it was?

Hope Asrock or someone with these answer reads this.

Thank you for your post.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.us.asp?Model=Thunderbolt%203%20AIC%20R2.0

https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.us.asp?Model=Thunderbolt%203%20AIC
Ryzentosh
FLPPasRock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLPPasRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 12:07am

Am kind of shocked by that limitations on the Overview page.

The sweet irony of this whole thing is that even Rev. 2.0 of ASRock's TB3 AIC does not have a current Titan Ridge TB3 chipset.

If its specifications page ( https://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/product.asp?Model=Thunderbolt%203%20AIC%20R2.0#Specification ) is correct it only uses an Intel JHL6540 chipset ( https://ark.intel.com/content/www/de/de/ark/products/94031/intel-jhl6540-thunderbolt-3-controller.html ) -nhooray for 3 year-old silicon :(

The Titan Ridge chipsets start with a 7, example:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97400/intel-jhl7540-thunderbolt-3-controller.html

Hope that we can somehow get the Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge AIC working. Gigabyte seems to have killed all efforts to bring TB to AMD systems, various motherboards do no longer sport the Thunderbolt Header in production runs whereas the early engineering/production revisions still had it on.

Don't quite understand why ASRock is treating this issue so subpar, with proper TB3 support on AMD platforms they would have an absolutely unique feature to advertise with until USB 4 comes around - and I personally don't want to wait till next year.
Ryzentosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryzentosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 8:16am
Thanks for that. I also figured out soon after that my Gigabyte card was the Raven Ridge and not the Titan Ridge. And also that the Rev 2.0 was still the same old chipset. It seems it just has the internal connectors to make it tidier for cable routing. Kinda lame of Asrock to not have the latest chipset out yet for a Rev 3.0 card...

But not to worry. :) I got it working!

See my post here: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=12163&title=enabling-thunderbolt-support-for-aic-v10

I shared as much detail as I could on the process as it was long and convoluted. Hope this helps others.
Ryzentosh
Ryzentosh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryzentosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 8:27am
So your TB header cable from the Gigabyte card was identical to the Asrock one pinout wise? Or were you able to use the Asrock header cable on the Gigabyte card?

And you got it to work you said for TB3? Just not USB? IF so, that's not so bad.

You also list you are using Thunderbolt drivers (1.41.648.4)? Where are you downloading those from? I thought mine were listed as 17. 4.78.500 or something like that. I had to grab those from Lenovo as I didn't find anyone else offering them for direct download. Haven't found them on Intel either. So am interested in a link if you have one. You may also want to try the Lenovo version to see if it allows it to work for you.
Ryzentosh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLPPasRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:42am
Yes, Thunderbolt 3 itself seems to work fine - as soon as USB 3.x and DisplayPort devices come into play with hotplugging the BSoDs appear. Both works fine when the devices are already connected to the AIC prior to powering on the system.

The Thunderbolt Headers on the motherboards between ASRock and Gigabyte are identical however you cannot use the cable of one manufacturer with the AIC of the other since the TB header on the AIC is shaped completely different.

The thought that maybe the TB Header causes the BSOD also crossed my mind but this is unlikely since it is only to toggle/enable/reset the Thunderbolt controller.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLPPasRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:45am
PS: The drivers I used are aavailable on the GC-Titan Ridge's support/download page, however it requires Windows 10 1903 to use that version. I also tried an older driver version but the BSoD issue remained unchanged.
Decca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:44am
Just fitted the ASRock AIC v2 card into my X570 Taichi, but cannot see anywhere in the BIOS v2.0 for the setting to enable thunderbolt.

Can anyone help please?
Decca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:31am
No worries - found it eventually, buried in menu options that I don't understand!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic