ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X570 Taichi: Thunderb 3 OK, but USB-C causes BSoD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Taichi: Thunderb 3 OK, but USB-C causes BSoD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 11:01pm
Hi all,

Just found this thread -- after punching out a question on TB3 here:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11976&PID=68346&title=ryzen-3000-series-support#68346

My x570 Creator Mobo has TB3 built in -- but teething problems (4K only, USB Hub issues).

Perhaps someone on this thread has a clue?

s.

Casey_SJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey_SJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 12:42am
I have the same X570 Creator with Windows 10 installed and Thunderbolt is working properly. My Thunderbolt 3 dock connects and all USB/Ethernet ports are functional.

Have you made the following changes in BIOS:

Advanced --> AMD PBS --> scroll all the way down. You will see:

1. Thunderbolt. Set this to Enable (which is the default anyway).
2. Security. Set this to "No Security".

Save and exit. See if this helps.

I have read that eGPUs are not supported, but external Thunderbolt 3 monitors should work,, including their on-board USB, camera, and sound devices.
skavan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 1:15am
Hi,

A fellow x570 creator owner! You may be a godsend.
Would you mind outlining you GFX card to Mobo to TB Out connections and also what brand/model of dock you are using...and finally do you go:

x570 TB ---> Dock ---> Monitor (4k or 5k?)

or are you using TB for peripherals, hence the dock?

I am trying to go:
RTX 2080Ti DP 1.4 ---> x570 DP In --> TB ---> 5K Monitor.

I will go buy one of your docks --- and stick that in the middle maybe.
RTX 2080Ti DP 1.4 ---> x570 DP In --> TB ---> TB Dock --> 5K Monitor.

s.
Casey_SJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey_SJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 2:05am
I'm using an OWC 14-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock and a PowerColor Gaming Station eGPU with several USB ports in the eGPU chassis. However, I do not currently have a Thunderbolt monitor, but expect to get one soon.

Under Windows 10 I had no problem connecting the Dock and the eGPU, except that the GPU inside the external chassis did not work -- I expected this based on something I read about lack of eGPU support.

I have the PowerColor Red Devil AMD RX 580, which supports DP 1.4, but at this time I'm using a simple 1080p monitor. Once I move this new build into the home office, I'll connect it to a 4K DisplayPort monitor until I finally decide to get a 5K Thunderbolt Display.

In order to drive a Thunderbolt monitor, what you are doing right now is correct, namely:

RX 2080Ti --> X570 DP-In Port --> 5K Monitor (do not insert dock into this chain)

Of course, a USB-C cable won't work. It must be a Thunderbolt 3 cable with the lightning symbol on the ends.

You may also need to set "Security" to "No Security" in the Advanced --> AMD PBS section of BIOS Setup.

Have you installed the latest Thunderbolt drivers for Windows?
Casey_SJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey_SJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 2:09am
By the way, I think that the latest firmware (1.70) for the X570 Creator is still a bit buggy and/or unfinished. Will keep a lookout for updates.
skavan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 4:01am
Thanks so much.

- Am using Active TB3 cables everywhere
- When you say "Have you installed the latest TB3 drivers for windows"...well I have installed asrock's latest TB Stuff (17.4.77.400). Is that what you meant? Also did a device manager search for updates -- it came up empty.
- Finally, when you say don't insert a dock into this chain -- why not?
Casey_SJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey_SJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2019 at 5:48am
Inserting a dock adds another transmission/retransmission layer into the chain. If a Thunderbolt cable directly from the motherboard to the monitor does not work, then inserting a dock into the chain is not likely to solve the problem.

One can buy and use a Thunderbolt 3 dock without any problem, of course, but using the dock specifically as a solution for the Thunderbolt Display problem is most likely not warranted.

I think I downloaded a newer Thunderbolt driver from here -- version 17.4.78.500:
https://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=fileinfo&id=3774&lang=en
L3V1A7H0N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L3V1A7H0N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 12:31pm
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kDK9v73VXG2aKQAeA

It's under Advanced -> CPU Settings -> AMD PBS
And scroll WAAAAAYYYY to the bottom.

Took me forever to find it.

Just plugged in my brand new Apollo Twin X and it came right up. I'm also on the latest 2.50 bios update. Taichi 570x and ryzen 3900x. I'm using the Asrock Thunderbolt 3 AIC.

Good luck to anyone trying to get this to work. Took me a bit!
justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 9:29am
I am in the process of building a ryzen 3600 and was looking at the different mobos that would support TB3 (Apollo Twin). Seems like a lot of people here have experience getting everything working. Thank you for posting all your issues and responses, as it has been fun to learn from you all.

I was looking at the Taichi 570x + the AIC but I am open to suggestions. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me before I order everything?

Also curious if the Taichi 570x will support TB3 through the Type C formfactor?
justme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 9:39am
Just wanted to also say I was really trying to weigh the differences between the ASRock X570 EXTREME4, Taichi and anything else you all may suggest.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic