ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motherbaord won't start.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motherbaord won't start.
    Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:28pm
Ok so I got everything working aside from the fact that I need Windows 10. I looked at the Windows 7 USB patcher but that would really only work if I was going to install 7 but I've already got it installed.
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

It would be worth trying another PSU. Spec wise that one should be fine but if it has a fault, it could cause your issues.
Alright so I did some last minute troubleshooting and found something. If I plug in the 24-pin power connector and install the CPU the motherboard will start up. If I plug in the 8-pin 12V and the CPU fan it will start but NOT if I seat the CPU fan and lock it in place.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 12:54pm
It would be worth trying another PSU. Spec wise that one should be fine but if it has a fault, it could cause your issues.
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 7:36am
Could it be that my PSU is under powered? I have an Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.4 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Intel Haswell Fully Compatible.
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 2:36am
Well this might be another problem. While doing some research it turns out that this motherboard does not support my current OS which is Win 7 64-bit but it does support Win 10 64-bit.
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 1:56am

If you need a multimeter to find the short then it's time to return the board What I have been talking about is the obvious, a component leg bent over and touching another component's leg etc. It should be visible to the naked eye. This kind of thing can happen when installing the motherboard into the case, scraping the underside against a standoff for example.

The general rule with this kind of situation is to disconnect everything from the board, check it over thoroughly and then start troubleshooting from there.

On the off chance we can find the issue, lets go through some troubleshooting steps:

1. Take the board out of the case and remove everything from it (CPU, GPU, RAM etc)
2. Examine the board on the back side closely, look for any sign of scraping or bent component legs that may be shorting. If you see none move on.
3. Install the CPU and the 24pin power connector, nothing else. See if the power button responds. If the system powers on in this state it will not post but at least you will know if the power on function is working.
4. If the system powers up in step 3 insert a single RAM module in slot A2 and connect the 8pin CPU power connector (it should be a 4+4 connector, not a 6+2). See if the system powers on.
5. If step 4 is successful install your GPU and power on.
6. If all goes well you should be able to post at this point.

If you fail before step 4, return the board to your place of purchase. Warranty should be covered by the retailer.

If you fail after step 4 post back here and we will dig deeper.

Good luck
Ok I followed the steps (although the board was already out of the case beforehand). I didn't see any sign of anything that would be causing a short. At step 3 I installed the CPU and the 24 pin power connector. I pressed the power button but again got no response. I did use the multimeter to check if the power button was in fact getting power and it is. So this test failed at step 3.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 12:50am
If you need a multimeter to find the short then it's time to return the board What I have been talking about is the obvious, a component leg bent over and touching another component's leg etc. It should be visible to the naked eye. This kind of thing can happen when installing the motherboard into the case, scraping the underside against a standoff for example.

The general rule with this kind of situation is to disconnect everything from the board, check it over thoroughly and then start troubleshooting from there.

On the off chance we can find the issue, lets go through some troubleshooting steps:

1. Take the board out of the case and remove everything from it (CPU, GPU, RAM etc)
2. Examine the board on the back side closely, look for any sign of scraping or bent component legs that may be shorting. If you see none move on.
3. Install the CPU and the 24pin power connector, nothing else. See if the power button responds. If the system powers on in this state it will not post but at least you will know if the power on function is working.
4. If the system powers up in step 3 insert a single RAM module in slot A2 and connect the 8pin CPU power connector (it should be a 4+4 connector, not a 6+2). See if the system powers on.
5. If step 4 is successful install your GPU and power on.
6. If all goes well you should be able to post at this point.

If you fail before step 4, return the board to your place of purchase. Warranty should be covered by the retailer.

If you fail after step 4 post back here and we will dig deeper.

Good luck
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 11:32pm

The power button having no effect typically indicates one of 2 things:

1. The Clear CMOS jumper/switch is in the clear position (or stuck button in boards like yours)
2. The power protection fail-safes have been triggered.

If the fail-safes have been triggered it is typically because of a short somewhere or an improperly installed CPU. Remove the CPU and make sure none of the pins are bent.

If that checks out the disconnect everything from the board except CPU, RAM, PSU and GPU. Make sure you are using the correct 8pin 12v power from the PSU, it is possible to accidentally connect a PCIe 8pin power with some PSUs where the connector is a bit softer and more flexible.

If you still have no joy then thoroughly examine the underside of the board for anything that could be shorting. The fact that you have power to the board (LEDs light up) but the power switch does nothing indicates a safety feature is preventing damage to the system should the board attempt to power on. It could be anything from a bent over component leg under the board (from a capacitor for example) that is shorting to a screw that fell on the board somewhere and got lodged in a place that created a short.

Good luck
The CPU pins are straight. I bought a multimeter to check for the short but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing it as I've never done this type of test before. Could someone give me some pointers?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 3:05pm
The power button having no effect typically indicates one of 2 things:

1. The Clear CMOS jumper/switch is in the clear position (or stuck button in boards like yours)
2. The power protection fail-safes have been triggered.

If the fail-safes have been triggered it is typically because of a short somewhere or an improperly installed CPU. Remove the CPU and make sure none of the pins are bent.

If that checks out the disconnect everything from the board except CPU, RAM, PSU and GPU. Make sure you are using the correct 8pin 12v power from the PSU, it is possible to accidentally connect a PCIe 8pin power with some PSUs where the connector is a bit softer and more flexible.

If you still have no joy then thoroughly examine the underside of the board for anything that could be shorting. The fact that you have power to the board (LEDs light up) but the power switch does nothing indicates a safety feature is preventing damage to the system should the board attempt to power on. It could be anything from a bent over component leg under the board (from a capacitor for example) that is shorting to a screw that fell on the board somewhere and got lodged in a place that created a short.

Good luck

Edited by Xaltar - 09 Aug 2019 at 3:07pm
Patton521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patton521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 10:49am

In that case, make sure both switches are functioning correctly, if you push them there should be a tactile click. If there is no click the switch may be stuck in the clear state. You can also check the traces under the switches, make sure there are no shorts.

I checked that and the buttons are good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic