ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Phantom Gaming and Raid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 12:12am
uups, i was on the 399M page... OK, bios is up-to-date.

Did you load bios defaults?
Are the two drives visable in the storage list?
Did you proceed like described under 1.4 UEFI RAID Configuration?
Did you also read https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-enabled-nvme-raid-upgrade-for-amd-x399-chipset.html
?

Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming Offline
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
deheugden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deheugden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:20pm
Disks can be seen, but no opt option and the create an array is greyed out.
deheugden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deheugden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 10:45pm
Have been able to fixe the greyed out create array, it seems someone by default ab array was created. So temoved that one.
I created an array raid 0, but when looking in the raid expert utiliy/ array management/ view associated physical disks, i see both the disks and they both are disabeled. It seems i canonly enable 1.

When instaling Windows,i can see both the disks in a non-raid state.

Interesting case, it never took me that long to create a raid in a server

Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 11:04pm
Hmm, maybe the SSDs are not so new... Clear/Wipe them before using

BTW: Maybe also an important info:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-260
Under test:
MSI X570_MEG_ACE | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Scythe Mugen5 | 2x16GB F4-3200C14D-32GTZ@3466 | ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE
deheugden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deheugden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 5:36pm
Wiping them wasnot possible. The secure ssd eraser didnt recognize them. Changed the storageconfiguration into ahci, saved, exit, reboot, and then the eraser tool did recognize them.

Had to save and exit, just chaning raid into ahci wasnt enough.

Aftef that, i had to restart everything again...i created a raid 0, started installing Windows.

The 2 ssd's where found againd, notification that i could tj stalled Windows. I removed both drives, rescanned and nothing was found. I browsed to my usb, installed the first amd-raid bottem device and after that i browsed the foller again to install the controller storport....and am wai int now for that driver to beinstalled
deheugden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deheugden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 6:07pm
Stopped the installation process, downloaded the new drivers from this link:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-260

but nothing changes, when installing Windows(new installation) both ssd's are found, notification that Windows cannot be installed is back, installing new drivers doesnt hange a thing. Still no raid
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:27pm
I really don't understand at which step you stumbling. There are some videos online, the whole thing should take about 15 minutes.

With a MSI board:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MClnWJ9mws

Not in english, but with an Asrock X399 Professional Gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSQAFaZSFVw
Under test:
deheugden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deheugden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 8:56pm
i started all over again and i have been able to install all the drives and see the created raid during Windos install, but now i get a
Windows can't be installed on drive 0 partition 1(show details) notification.

The details tells me that Windows annot be installed. The computer's hardware may no support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu

I did enable raid in the bios, so this error is making me pull my hairs outof my head. But i am going back to the bios to see if i can find an error.
deheugden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deheugden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 9:13pm
seems i had to disable the csm in the bios althouh the tutorial tells me to enable it.
Ray62 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 3:44am
Originally posted by deheugden deheugden wrote:

seems i had to disable the csm in the bios althouh the tutorial tells me to enable it.

Yes, i already posted that 2 days ago.

But you obviously stumpled over the windows driver installation.
That was my reason for posting the tutorial video links.
CSM (Compatibility Support Module) is for old addons, controller or GPUs without UEFI support.
Maybe in some other boards/bios versions it doesn't matter if it is on or not. It also can be, that CSM off is required just for the installation phase. Once you can select the Windows Boot Manager for loading the OS from the Raid, it maybe can be enabled without problems.
But disabled is faster anyway.

And i don't know which problems are coming up, if you want to add hardware which require CSM enabled...
Under test:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic