ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

asrock 970 pro3 r2.0 caught flame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 6:07am
He don't need a 750W PSU, just a decent one that works fine.
Hi's Be-Quiet is a nice PSU that will go well on his setup.
(I prefer CWM based PSU's and Enermax PSU. My 8 years old Corsair CWM has seen stuff)

What he needs is a decent VRM based board.

He does not have a top-down blowing CPU cooler, so the VRM will fry some time in the future.

My suggestion is following:
Fatal1ty 970 Performance
Great price/performance board

970 Extreme3 R2.0
Best buy board with the 970 based chip-set.

Or some 990FX based board will all go great with his setup.

990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 8:15am
Originally posted by ASRock Expert ASRock Expert wrote:

He don't need a 750W PSU, just a decent one that works fine.
Hi's Be-Quiet is a nice PSU that will go well on his setup.
(I prefer CWM based PSU's and Enermax PSU. My 8 years old Corsair CWM has seen stuff)

The recommended minimum for AMD's Radeon R9 270 is between 450W-500W, depending on the source (AMD could take notes from NVidia, as this was just one more piece of information that wasn't available on AMD's site). The good news is that the TDP shouldn't be far off the truth on average (at least on a reference card):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-13.html

I'll admit that 750W would be overkill for his current system. I'll also admit that just talking about the wattage is not the whole truth, as the more important factor (AFAIK) is what sort of current the +12V rail can put out. It's just that if you get a good PSU with a bit more wattage than you need, you'll less likely have to worry about sufficient current. Also, the PSU will not be as strained, so it will probably run a bit cooler and the parts will probably last longer.

I checked a review on that specific Be Quiet! PSU and if the numbers check out, it may actually be ok. Ripple values are good, and the total power output of the +12V rail is 30A, which should fine.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4643/2/be-quiet-pure-power-l8-400w300w-review-good-for-budget-pcs-specifications

So, I was a bit hasty in condemning the PSU on wattage alone. The tier 3 classification still makes me a bit sceptical, though, but then again it's just a guideline.

Quote What he needs is a decent VRM based board.

He does not have a top-down blowing CPU cooler, so the VRM will fry some time in the future.

My suggestion is following:
Fatal1ty 970 Performance
Great price/performance board

970 Extreme3 R2.0
Best buy board with the 970 based chip-set.

Or some 990FX based board will all go great with his setup.

This is indeed one option. Unless there's a specific need for an mATX motherboard, I would agree that getting something bigger and more robust would make sense.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 8:46am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

So, I was a bit hasty in condemning the PSU on wattage alone. The tier 3 classification still makes me a bit sceptical, though, but then again it's just a guideline.

Meh, that his PSU only has a 4-pin CPU power shows it is beginning to show some age on it.

That, and considering his CPU of choice, getting away from a 4+1 board would lead to longevity of the system. ie: no more Red Dwarfs spawned

IMO the 990fx boards are the way to go with an 8-core FX.
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 8:49am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

IMO the 990fx boards are the way to go with an 8-core FX.

Despite what ASRock claims to support 8-core FX's in anything less than a 990FX board.

Really ASRock?
Nahpets84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nahpets84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 2:20am
Thanks for the reply's, I see to it to fix it by either another cpu cooler with top cooler or just buy a new computer in total (want a top notch combo to be able to play the high end games better)
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Nahpets84 Nahpets84 wrote:

Thanks for the reply's, I see to it to fix it by either another cpu cooler with top cooler or just buy a new computer in total (want a top notch combo to be able to play the high end games better)

You can do both, unless you need to sell your current parts to get a top notch combo. ;) Personally I would probably wait a while before buying a top notch combo. I'm assuming that would mean an Intel Skylake rig, and I think it may be wise to see if those that have switched to Skylake already run into any sort of issues. Also, if you're lucky, prices might come down a bit while you wait.

Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
chaox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 5:07am
hi.. i have same problem my mainboard asrock 970 pro3 r2.0 caught flame after i replace old PSU (hexa 500W) to new one (Corsair 550vs)

http://s32.postimg.org/bygtb77v9/P1040571.jpg

what shall i do? must i RMA new corsair PSU??

my CPU totally dead before change PSU

i'm IT staff, ever maintenance over 50 CPU in company. this is the first time i had this experience. and too bad this happened on my own CPU...

Edited by chaox - 01 May 2016 at 10:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic