ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

XFast RAM for TRX40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XFast RAM for TRX40
    Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 12:41am
I just moved from the Intel motherboard to the TRX40 Creator and I noticed that there is no XFast RAM program for it. This is a disappointment, because I really liked its RAM-disk feature.

Is the maintenance of XFast RAM discontinued or is there still coming a new version, which will work with the TRX40 motherboards?
ShK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:14pm
I made a ticket of this to the "ASRock Technical Support Division", because XFast RAM is a really great program and it does what it promises.

If the request will be directed to the right persons (authors who maintains ASRock utilities), it will not be the big task them to compile a standalone version or integrate it into TRX40 A-Tuning motherboard utility software with the TRX40 support.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:57pm
Check out AMD's Radeon RAM disk, it offers similar functionality and there is a
free version up to 4gb. For a while you got a free licence with certain AMD CPUs,
not sure if that is still the case.
ShK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 2:03am
Thanks for the hint. Unfortunately, Radeon RAMDisk Utility seems not to work on my system. It opens a flash screen and then quits quietly (I can see its task to go away on Task Manager). Maybe it does not detect Threadripper 3970X to supported CPU and exits because of that.

Well, it's seems not to be as full featured as XFast RAM. E.g. no support to move User-, System-, WinRAR -Temp Files or Chrome Cache files to the RAM Disk.
Reset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 6:11pm
Try ImDisk Toolkit. I've been using this RAM disk for quite some time.
You can adjust the pointers for the temp directories, RAR and Chrome yourself...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/imdisk-toolkit/
ShK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 11:33pm
This looks a very good, thank you!

It seems to have User- and System -temps set to RAM Disk as default, but how I can adjust RAR and Chrome temp files in addition of these?

Reset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Reset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 6:48pm
Chrome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syPkgZVv5qY
RAR: Inside the Settings from WinRAR
ShK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 1:00pm
I got an answer from the ASRock Technical Support Division:

Quote Thanks for contacting ASRock.

TRX40 Creator doesn't support XFast RAM feature.
Link: http://www.asrock.com/feature/XFast/XFastRAM/index.asp

TRX40 Creator officially supports Microsoft® Windows® 10 64-bit only.
XFast RAM feature is supported in Microsoft® Windows® 7 / 7 64-bit / Vista??/ Vista??64-bit / XP 32-bit OS.

Thank you
Kindest regards,
ASRock TSD

I was using XFast RAM with Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit on ASRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional until I upgraded TRX40 Creator.

So XFast RAM worked many years with Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit until now.
gizmic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:08pm
arent current nvme already faster than ramdisk?
ShK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 4:51pm
Ah, no. And it's not about the speed but you save your SSD lifespan using temp-files in RAM Drive (not only Windows but basically all softs which you use). I also use it as WORK -drive, where I download and unpack all files or pack video-files in there, etc.

For myself, it is also a tradition. I have used RAM Drive with the Commodore Amiga from the eighties.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic