ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Beebox won't wake from sleep with remote or USB
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beebox won't wake from sleep with remote or USB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with your Beebox but if the unit was as flawed as you believe these forums would be swarming with complaints. The fact that it is not means that the issue (regarding sleep) is likely tied to a number of variables not present in every configuration.

I disagree with you.
It's always a small minority that takes the time and effort to search for answers on forums like these. The three problems I enumerated are reported and/or confirmed by a significant amount of members overhere.
I have had 3 Beebox N3150 barebones in my office (returned one) and all three are suffering from random BIOS freezes and are unable to recover from Sleep mode. I had elabourate discussions with AsRock Netherlands about the issues but none of their 'solutions' worked. They also told me that BIOS freezes were unknown with the Beebox and they stopped to answer my questions and reports about the elabourate tests I made. I am an IT technician with a lot of experience, I never ever had a freezing BIOS on any system I assembled before!
I kindly asked for a reply but they ignore me now for more than 2 weeks.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2016 at 10:06pm
I can understand that, I have been at this for quite a while myself and know how frustrating it can be dealing with issues like this. I will ask that you bare in mind that manufacturer tech support isn't quite the same as reseller/IT tech support in that when there is an issue, particularly one that seems more common, the process in addressing said issues is far more involved than likely you or I have experienced. ASRock tech support not only has to try and address a particular users issues but also determine where the issue comes from and if it may be applicable to other users. 

I have noticed that with ASRock tech support they tend to stop replying when they have nothing productive to offer (personally I prefer this rather than being given the runaround) and instead continue to work on the issue until they do have something for you, that or they have become bogged down with other issues. Keep sending them polite prompts and I am sure that as soon as they arrive at a solution they will be in touch with you again. 

Not having a Beebox on hand myself I am afraid I have nothing further to offer as advice. 

Edited by Xaltar - 03 Feb 2016 at 10:14pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:17pm
I have been mulling your issues over a little since yesterday and had an idea. Did you try removing the CMOS battery from the systems and powering up without them? The reason I ask is that we have seen recently that a weak CMOS battery seems to wreak havok on the UEFI causing all kinds of issues from post problems to BIOS freezing.

Edited by Xaltar - 04 Feb 2016 at 3:18pm
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Marc Marc wrote:

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time with your Beebox but if the unit was as flawed as you believe these forums would be swarming with complaints. The fact that it is not means that the issue (regarding sleep) is likely tied to a number of variables not present in every configuration.

I disagree with you.
It's always a small minority that takes the time and effort to search for answers on forums like these. The three problems I enumerated are reported and/or confirmed by a significant amount of members overhere.
I have had 3 Beebox N3150 barebones in my office (returned one) and all three are suffering from random BIOS freezes and are unable to recover from Sleep mode. I had elabourate discussions with AsRock Netherlands about the issues but none of their 'solutions' worked. They also told me that BIOS freezes were unknown with the Beebox and they stopped to answer my questions and reports about the elabourate tests I made. I am an IT technician with a lot of experience, I never ever had a freezing BIOS on any system I assembled before!
I kindly asked for a reply but they ignore me now for more than 2 weeks.

Dear Marc,
Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

Sorry for such bad experience about that.
We tested our Beebox N3000 barebone on Windows 10 64 bits with fresh installation(which mean without Windows update), installing only VGA driver from our website then set "Allow Hybrid Sleep" to Off, the system can resume from the sleep status about 10 times, by sleeping automatically or manually.

So, since we couldn't see the issue immediately in our lab, we would like to check below information with your system config and environment for further check.

1. The Sleep state is related to memory, what's memory module do you use? All of 3 system use the same memory module? 
2. The issue may probably related to the BIOS, please provide your BIOS version.
3. What mouse/keyboard do you use? it's wireless?
3. If possible, could you do a test steps as we tested before to verify?

In order to clarify the issue, your assist will be very helpful, thanks.

Thank you for your patience.
If any, please feel free to let us know!

Kindest Regards,
ASRock TSD

Marc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 7:12pm
Dear ASRock TSD,
Thank you very much for your reply.

ASRock Netherlands asked me the same questions as you do so I'll repeat my answers.
The memory I used on all three N3150 barebones is 2x2GB Kingston KVR16LS1156/2, very common value RAM that always has been working well on other systems as well. I've built several ASRock N3150 ITX systems with this memory and never had any issues. The N3150 ITX has a lot of similarities with the N3150 Beebox and it works flawlessly.
I also tested with only one module (both memory slots tested) installed and I have been testing with Crucial 4GB 1600 LS CL 11 modules as well.
The harddisk I used are Samsung 850 EVO 250GB mSATA.

The inital BIOS version on all three M3150 was v1.10 and I flashed them to v1.30 if possible. The first Beebox I obtained always froze (using Instant Flash) at the very moment I selected the update file on my USB-stick (FAT32). The BIOS also froze when using Internet Flash, after downloading the file it stuck at 100%. After contacting ASRock and doing all their tests I returned the Beebox and asked to replace it.

I still have random freezes on the other Beeboxes (v1.30), it just happens when I browse the BIOS or select an option. When freezing I can't use the keyboard and mouse anymore, the mouse cursor still moves but I can't select anything. Disconnecting the power or pressing the power button for a few seconds is the only way out.
A friend of mine also has a Beebox N3150 and he also experiences freezes of the BIOS. I have been testing with a Microsoft Wireless keyboard and mouse and also corded USB-keyboards and mice and this is my conclusion: when connecting only a keyboard I could't invoke a freeze but whith a mouse connected I got freezes again. So I have the impression that the BIOS freezes are related to the USB mouse driver used in the BIOS.

Since I knew about this problem with my first Beebox I tested the second one as clean as possible: Straight out of the box I inserted only one SO-Dimm, a corded keyboard and mouse and went into the BIOS (v1.10). I had a freeze when browsing around within a minute or so!

One thing I didn't test is Xaltar's suggestion to remove the CMOS battery or test it's voltage.
All Beeboxes I assemled are running Windows 10 64 bits and it runs stable.
Since I've assembled these Beeboxes for two clients it's a bit difficult to do new tests at once.

Edited by Marc - 04 Feb 2016 at 7:14pm
Khesarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khesarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 12:07am
I can confirm all above failures and add some others.

I'm running (fresh installed) Ubuntu 15.10 on my brand new N3150, so completely different than Windows but still the same issues:

1. System freezes, mainly on keyboard, often on mouse, sometimes even HD access. Starts working again after some seconds, sometimes several freezes right after each other.
  2. No wakeup after sleep, regardless the settings.
  3. After some time (on idle?) there is no sound output via HDMI anymore. Worked fine until then.
  4. several error messages in system log:
    1. every few minutes: [drm:valleyview_update_wm [i915]] *ERROR* timed out waiting for Punit DDR DVFS request
    2. now and then: [drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe C FIFO underrun
    3. some other X server related messages, stating upcoming crashes (sorry, no log entry at the moment)
I did NO BIOS update so far, so still running P1.10. Mouse/Keyboard is a wireless Logitech which was working fine before on my previous system (ASRock ION330HT), plugged into the USB2 (?) port (the one below the Kensington).
RAM is "Crucial - SO-DIMM Kit 16GB (2x 8GB), DDR3L-1600, CL11 (CT2KIT102464BF160B)".
HD is a "OCZ - TRION100 SSD 480GB SATA 6Gb/s"

Digging through the web I've found several threads from people complaining on the same issues.

Edit: Also no monitor wakeup after deep power saving, system is still running then (can login via ssh from remote)

Edited by Khesarr - 05 Feb 2016 at 12:13am
fact619 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fact619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 6:49am
Hello, I can't seem to enable the hibernation settings in Windows 10. Do you know if there are BIOS settings that need to be configured in order to have access to this feature? I also do not see "hybrid sleep" in the advanced power settings of Windows. Thank you!
fact619 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fact619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 6:50am
Hello, I can't find the hybrid sleep setting in Windows 10 advanced power management. It appears the setting is not enabled, and neither is hibernation.

What BIOS settings did you use in the lab? What was the CPU C state?

Thank you!
Marc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 2:21am
@ASRock_TSD: 3 weeks passed by and still no reaction from your side.
I have the strong impression that the reported problems, reported here by many users, don't have high priority for ASRock :-(
fact619 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fact619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 2:48pm
I too am quite disappointed with the support from ASRock on this issue. The Beebox was the first ASRock product that I purchased, and I'm not sure I can support the company given the level of product quality I'm experiencing.

As a side note, I was telling my girlfriend that I was troubleshooting my new computer. She asked me what was wrong. I told her that the computer wouldn't wake from sleep. It surprised her that such basic functionality available with any computer for years now could not work. I assumed that the problem was temporary and the fix simple, but given the trouble that I and many others are having, it appears not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic