FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H170M-ITX/DL CPU fan control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 1:59am
Personally, I don't know what the status of this situation is.

I'll see if I can get more information on this, but I cannot guarantee it will be soon. Embarrassed
Jayde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 6:22pm
BIOS Version 1.60 notes that there have been modifications to the behaviour. It is, however, not solved. And if changes something at all, it is not noticable, as has been stated above a few times.

Is this issue still being on the bucketlist or is it tagged solved?
It has become quiet in this thread since the last update, but nothing changed.

I can still return the board to the store for another week. So an answer would be appreciated.

Edited by Jayde - 07 Apr 2016 at 6:23pm
Jayde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by akulp akulp wrote:

Working!

1. I uninstalled beta.
2. Installed back latest stable version for my mobo.
After restart nothing better.
3. After shutdown ... voila!

Many thanks @parsec!

---

Sorry I've been busy... Thanks so much for posting your result, glad that worked for you!!

Questions, it looks like you ran the Fan Test, and the result is in your screen shot, right?

The Fan Test result is better of course, but still looks not quite right, for several reasons.

The 10% power fan speed is higher than I've ever seen for a PWM fan, or any type of fan. The fan speeds from 10% to 40% are easily within the the normal speed variations of a PC fan with a constant, non-changing voltage applied. All fan's show a variation in their RPM at any constant voltage, and that variation can be +/- 10% or more.

Frankly, between 10% and 40% you are not getting any change in fan speed. If the fan's maximum speed were 2000RPM, 19RPM difference between 10% and 40% fan power is 1 RPM short of a 1% change in speed. So no change in speed worth anything.

There is obviously something wrong with the fan speed control software, or the fans. Here are two examples of my CPU cooler's fans, the first one a PWM fan, the second a three pin fan, both are completely different fans than the Intel stock CPU cooler fans.

That is actually exactly what happens when you do what throwaway_cpufan  said, changing the fan control option to "4-pin". All those steps above seem unnecessary, hence.

So it helps a bit, thanks, but is still far away from optimal.

Edited by Jayde - 03 Apr 2016 at 10:47pm
throwaway_cpufan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throwaway_cpufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:34pm
I bought a H170M-itx/ac recently and found to have the same problem.

I updated to BIOS v1.6 and found there was an extra setting for the fan control which was set to "Auto"

I changed it to "4-pin" and after a reboot the fan now does not spin at a constant ~2400rpm.

Hope this helps :)
Jayde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 5:45pm
The constant 2000+ RPM the fan is running is annoying the **** out of me.

h170mitx-dl + i3-6100.

My core temperature in idle is 23°, that is unreasonably low. I could almost cool down my fridge using excess thermal energy the boxed cooler provides.

I used the pre configured fan-profiles in the UEFI, as well as A-Tuning, as well as a customized fan-control-curve in the UEFI. Nothing works. It's still the same pattern: >2000 rpm if >50%, else 0.

Is there ANY workaround? I do not even dare to buy another fan, because the boxed should work. What if the mobo can't control another fan as well?

edit: I am also a little bit afraid to go somewhere below 50% fan power right now, because 0RPM-2000RPM pingpong doesn't seem a good solution.

Edited by Jayde - 03 Apr 2016 at 5:48pm
rothbard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rothbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:21pm
Latest BIOS 1.60 doesn't seem to make much difference.
A-Tuning FAN test still shows that fan doesn't start untill 50% and then goes full speed.
Did a load test on CPU fan didn;t start at all up until CPU reaching 75C and then I stopped load test.
Crappy ASRock BIOS still doesn't know how to deal with stock Intel fans Angry

Edited by rothbard - 02 Apr 2016 at 6:22pm
rothbard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rothbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 8:19pm
I have H170M-ITX/ac with Core i5 6400 and Intel stock low profile cooler as was posted on picture here before. 
BIOS 1.50 and same issue
CPU FAN doesn't run lower than 50% and then it starts runnin at 2000+ RPM

Edited by rothbard - 27 Mar 2016 at 8:20pm
RUMcajz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUMcajz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 7:09am
Same problem with my Asrock z170 Extreme4 (BIOS P2.80) + i5-6500 with NIDEC fan 12V, 0.28A.

I'll have to go buy another CPU cooler and hoped it will work with my MOBO.

Thanks Asrock, if I knew, I'll ratherly spent +30??for better other brand Motherboard than buying cooler because this problem you having is not new (found topics about it dated from 2012).

WE NEED SOLUTION!!! or you'll get lots of returns since NIDEC is manufacturing SKYLAKE FANS.
akulp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akulp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by GregE240 GregE240 wrote:

Hello there,

First post here, and it seems I'm not the only one!

Background: I bought my H170M PRO4S last December, and temporarily put 2 non-PWM fans into my chassis because, well, that's all I had. Recently bought 2 Arctic PWM fans but I've noticed they were LOUD!!! A download of A-Tune proved me right - both over 1400rpm, even with the CPU at relative idle.

The fan adjustment, to put it bluntly - doesn't work. You can move the points to wherever you like, but they ain't gonna make a blind bit of difference.

So...I bring you a workaround- it can be adjusted in BIOS, using a similar graphics. You need to go to Advanced View, and it's either under Tools, or over looking options. It's called EZ-FAN. I've changed mine, saved, rebooted and both my chassis fans are now sat at 500rpm, much more like it!

I've uninstalled A-Tune because it makes no difference. Oh - I'm on Windows 10 x64. I've got an i5 6600.

Hope this helps someone!!

All the best,
Greg

As I wrote before, I noticed the same thing.

But, once you set graph in BIOS and fan start working than you can use WIN app too, and it'll work.

I'm not sure if BIOS is "the one" who helps fan to start working, or uninstalation/new instalation of WIN EZ-Fan.

Because I've done both and now it's working.
BUT, just UNTIL i turn off PC. Than, after turn on, I always have problems with fan. Than I play with BIOS, uninstall/install and than, It0s working again... Strange.

I hope AsRock is working smth on this bug ...
GregE240 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregE240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 11:18pm
Hello there,

First post here, and it seems I'm not the only one!

Background: I bought my H170M PRO4S last December, and temporarily put 2 non-PWM fans into my chassis because, well, that's all I had. Recently bought 2 Arctic PWM fans but I've noticed they were LOUD!!! A download of A-Tune proved me right - both over 1400rpm, even with the CPU at relative idle.

The fan adjustment, to put it bluntly - doesn't work. You can move the points to wherever you like, but they ain't gonna make a blind bit of difference.

So...I bring you a workaround- it can be adjusted in BIOS, using a similar graphics. You need to go to Advanced View, and it's either under Tools, or over looking options. It's called EZ-FAN. I've changed mine, saved, rebooted and both my chassis fans are now sat at 500rpm, much more like it!

I've uninstalled A-Tune because it makes no difference. Oh - I'm on Windows 10 x64. I've got an i5 6600.

Hope this helps someone!!

All the best,
Greg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic