ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H170M-ITX/DL CPU fan control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 11:15pm
Update - I have bios 1.50A from asrock support and I'm testing it.
akulp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akulp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 5:03am
My fan control on 1.50 BIOS is now working great for a few days ... No problem at all.

But control from 10 to 100% is between 1000 and 2000rpm, though fan can go up to 2800rpm (maybe even more.) And I don't know how is with speed under 1000rpm ...
iwik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 8:31pm
Where I can find my fan version? Sticker on the bottom side? Or some other (software?) method?
akulp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akulp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 9:38pm
Fan can be manufactured by many companies.

Check this:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005609.html
stephenpark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenpark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 9:51am
Hi all, I just bought H170M PRO4 and settings up everything.
I use i5-6600 and stock cooler with latest BIOS 1.9, my cpu cooler works nicely.
Problem is CHA_FAN1 and CHA_FAN2, I decided that I have to connect PWM fan which has 4 pin connector and purchaed at once 2 pcs of PWM type fan from market. It comes with 4pin connector and PWM capable fan.
However it does not work at all, no matter what I change settings when I connect to my mobo.
Not spin at all, and I tested with FAN-Tastic fan test, CPU fan works nicely but all CHA_FAN1 and FAN2, no RPM data, it only shows '0' values.
So I disassemble my fan from case, and put 12V directly on PIN1 and PIN2 which is GND and DC12V, and it spins nicely. So, I think my fan is not faulty but mobo does not control my fan at all.
Anybody has same CHA_FAN1 and FAN2 issue with PWM fan?
Hope I can get some great information here.
Thanks in advance!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by akulp akulp wrote:

Working!

1. I uninstalled beta.
2. Installed back latest stable version for my mobo.
After restart nothing better.
3. After shutdown ... voila!

Many thanks @parsec!

---

Sorry I've been busy... Thanks so much for posting your result, glad that worked for you!!

Questions, it looks like you ran the Fan Test, and the result is in your screen shot, right?

The Fan Test result is better of course, but still looks not quite right, for several reasons.

The 10% power fan speed is higher than I've ever seen for a PWM fan, or any type of fan. The fan speeds from 10% to 40% are easily within the the normal speed variations of a PC fan with a constant, non-changing voltage applied. All fan's show a variation in their RPM at any constant voltage, and that variation can be +/- 10% or more.

Frankly, between 10% and 40% you are not getting any change in fan speed. If the fan's maximum speed were 2000RPM, 19RPM difference between 10% and 40% fan power is 1 RPM short of a 1% change in speed. So no change in speed worth anything.

There is obviously something wrong with the fan speed control software, or the fans. Here are two examples of my CPU cooler's fans, the first one a PWM fan, the second a three pin fan, both are completely different fans than the Intel stock CPU cooler fans.

This is a Cryorig QF120 Performance PWM fan, RPM range 600 - 2200 RPM:

This is a Noctua NF-P14, maximum speed of 1200 RPM:

Notice how low in speed the Noctua fan can run. The Cryorig fan speeds match its specs very well.

I know you guys know something is wrong, and I agree with you. It seems ASRock is looking into this and responding.

I searched for a picture of the Skylake stock cooler, and found this. It's called a TS15A, the larger one on the left side Shocked . Is this what you got with your Skylake processors:

(BTW, ANY and ALL Intel CPU coolers provided with their processors from Sandy and Ivy Bridge (socket 1155) through Haswell (socket 1150) and now Skylake (1151) will FIT and WORK FINE on a Skylake board.)
akulp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akulp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 3:35am
I totally agree with you.

It's still smth wrong with A-Tunins SW, because RPM speed is very strange divided between 100% ...

But, what I have now is still better than nothing ...

I hope, AsRock will fix this error soon.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by akulp akulp wrote:

Fan can be manufactured by many companies.

Check this:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005609.html

Yes, we can see Intel has used fans from different manufactures, whose power requirements vary from 0.14A to 0.60A, including Delta, Fujikura, Nidec, and Foxxcon. At least two of those manufactures are known for the quality of their products.

The power usage of the fan means nothing relative to the PWM fan speed control.

AGAIN I ask those of you in this thread, is the CPU cooler you have with your Skylake CPU the one on the left in the picture in my post above?!?!?!

Please let me know, Thanks!!! Geek
iwik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iwik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 5:31pm
No, different. My is small (right one on your photo?). See photos. I have already sent it to asrock support.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwttc0i9lnqubkz/Photo%2015.02.16%2019%2027%2031.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1r3t63go79w3k47/Photo%2015.02.16%2021%2006%2043.jpg?dl=0

I have still issues with bios 1.50A from asrock support. I hope they will find something strange causing this...

Edited by iwik - 23 Feb 2016 at 5:39pm
akulp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote akulp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 11:32pm
My fan is small too ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic