FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skylake CPU caution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 10:00pm
Apparently it is only a problem with large, heavy tower style coolers. From what I have seen it does not appear to be an overly common issue. I created this thread not to warn people away from Skylake but rather to caution on choice of cooler. Even with the larger coolers you should still be ok so long as you do not over tighten them to the point they warp the CPU substrate. This is not a new issue and is certainly not restricted to Skylake, any cooler that does not meet the mechanical requirements of the CPU it is installed on has the potential to cause damage. 

Again, I created this thread as a caution for new builds/upgrades. This is the kind of info that can save a lot of trouble and frustration. Use a Skylake compatible cooler and you will not run into these issues. This is not a criticism of Skylake CPUs, it is merely information. Many people were skeptical when intel moved the pins from the CPU to the motherboard socket but the design is still in use several generations later and has proved efficient and resulted in a lot less damaged CPUs via bent pins.

If anyone wants to contribute by listing CPU cooling that is compatible with the platform please go right ahead but do not use this thread as an excuse to bash or otherwise post unproductive comments. 

Ultimately, most people with a decent Haswell CPU will not be looking to upgrade to Skylake anyway Wink I am shortly making the jump to Skylake myself and discovered this info during the usual research I do before adopting a new platform. I will be taking this into account during my own build and felt I should share it here for my fellow forum members who may not be aware.

[Edit]
Tom's Hardware has posted an article on the issue for anyone interested.

Edited by Xaltar - 05 Dec 2015 at 2:13pm
helpmepls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helpmepls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 9:35pm
good that i got an i5 haswell.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 7:25pm
Serious now I am :)

Good article, in German with pics, discussing Skylake warping:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Luftkuehlung-Hardware-217993/News/Skylakegate-Kuehler-zerstoeren-Sockel-1151-CPUs-1179237/
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 7:19pm
Sorry. I couldn't resist the temptation ..........

Skylake has arrived, Processing just went warp...
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 7:00pm
For those of you not already aware there appears to be issues regarding warping on Skylake CPUs when using some aftermarket CPU coolers. The substrate used on the new Skylake process is significantly thinner than previous generation CPUs and as such some CPU coolers that use excessive pressure to hold in place are warping Skylake CPUs and causing system failures and instability.

If you have made the jump to Skylake then be very careful what coolers you use. Many manufacturers have listed Skylake compliance on their cooling products so be sure you use one that meets Intel's mechanical specification.

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 08 Mar 2022 at 2:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic