ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470 Master SLI very long boot time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ring-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470 Master SLI very long boot time
    Posted: 06 May 2020 at 6:21pm
Very long motherboard boot. The time from pressing the button to the appearance of the post screen and a single buzzer signal is about 30s. My previous computer would load the system twice before it starts to load, you can see on the recording.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sZzJBNpp5M1pwjZh9
After loading the system works correctly, performance is at the expected level.

Mobo: X470 Master SLI
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout DDR4 16GB 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: Gigabyte 1050Ti 4GB
HDD: NVME Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3256GNTD

Am I doing something wrong? Please help.
ring-s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ring-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 6:22pm
Bios: 3.70
Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:49am
A couple of thoughts:
1. Memory training - the board is trying to determine the memory timings to boot with. Try setting the 2400 or 2133 JEDEC profile and see what happens
2. SATA or NVME detection - one of my NVME drives recently died, and while it was still plugged into the board, the boot process took a while because the board was trying to detect this dead drive
ring-s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ring-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 3:33pm
So, I disconnected all drives, NVME too, boot time decreased by about 3 seconds, but it's still long. Changing the RAM timing has not improved anything. I reported it to the bottom bracket and got an answer. I compared the boot time to my previous unit.
"different hardware, different time for initialize. It is normal in this situation.

Newer generation of hardware ??especially AMD ??need more time for the AGESA code to initialize the system.

You cannot compare this 1:1 to an ?œolder??Q77 chipset."

Do boards really based on the X470 chipset, or generally the AMD platform need so much time to boot? It seems to me very stretchy. How are you with this? How much time does your bios / uefi boot before the operating system loads on AMD platforms?

Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 4:13pm
X570 Taichi - about 30 sec from power on to logo, 50 to the Windows login screen. There's a "quick boot" option in BIOS, but I have it disabled, slightly longer booting does not bug me that much. You probably never saw a server board booting
ring-s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ring-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 2:40pm
Then I don't understand what's going on? Microsoft is proud that their subsequent systems are loading faster and faster, we are buying faster and faster SDDs to make the work more enjoyable, and here the engineers show us the middle finger and produce devices that with the next generation need more time to .... what for? My laptop with an Intel 7 generation processor starts in 5s, from pressing the button to the login screen. I don't know what to think about it, it's very frustrating.
Synapse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synapse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 8:41pm
That laptop time seems like a wake up from a suspend standby. You can configure this feature for a desktop too, either suspend-to-RAM (fast, but you lose the state in case of a blackout) or suspend-to-disk (slower).
ring-s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ring-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:28pm
It's not suspend. Ok, no 5s, but less than 10, about 8s. From switch off to logon screen. I push power button at 5s. It's not high end laptop, but have 256GB NVME SSD, same as i my X470 chipset desktop.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vg1KvbDTbubxDL7R9
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 11:17pm
What CPU? Memory doesn't appear to be on the QVL, so luck of the draw there and could cause some "training" lag. Memory in A2/B2? ..does it boot any quicker with just 1 stick of memory in? You can try resetting to defaults in BIOS and see if that helps .. you can enable "Fast Boot" as well and see if that suits you better.
I had the x470 Master SLI and I don't recall having annoying slow boot times .. ran the 1700, 2700x, and 3700x on it and non QVL RAM... without Fast boot enabled.
My daughters ASRock B350 Fatal1ty ITX boots pretty quick .. had a 2200g, then my old 2700x and now a 3600x with non QVL RAM and with both 5400rpm laptop drive and now a bit quicker with the NVMe drive

My current setup boots a bit on the slow side .. side by side booting with an old Intel Dell laptop with an SSD .. the Dell boots faster until it gets to loading windows .. my Steel Legend boots slow until it's loading windows and then bam .. .ready to go.

|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
ring-s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ring-s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 7:17pm
I haven't actually written about the processor. Here I have Ryzen 5 3600. There is no RAM compatibility list for third generation processors on this board, so I conclude that most of the memory will work properly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic