FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASROCK 970M Pro3 CPU Throttling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:19am
I'm almost positive the "Bulldozer Patches' have now been either distributed via Windows Update or rolled up now onto pressed discs.

These were caught immediately after release.
TechLord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 6:17am
To tackle some of the points.

- PSU - I've run prime for 10 minutes, this is how the voltages look:

- Windows - this could be one of the issues. I am running Windows 10 x64 so it may very well be uncharted territory. While browsing the forums I found one guy that had the same issue as me with windows 7 and resolved it by installing windows 8.

- AMD Turbo Core Technology. It seems my understanding of this was a little off.  The Turbo kicks in with 2 stages.
Stage 1 makes 4 of the 6 cores go from 3.5 to 3.8 Ghz but the chosen 4 cores are dynamically selected even if all 6 cores are at 100%. So only 4 get Turbo at one point in time. This works in my setup.
Stage 2 makes only 2 cores go to 4.1 Ghz but ONLY if the rest of the cores are IDLE. This doesn't seem to work and I blamed the motherboard but I find it difficult to test it. No matter what I do, there is always a small load on the other cores which seems to prevent the Max Turbo to kick in.

Is there anyone owning an FX-6300 who can post a picture of it being clocked at 4.1 Ghz by the Turbo (not OCing)?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 4:10am
If only one of the 2 20A rails is being used to power the system or the load is severely imbalanced across the 2 rails it is quite possible it could be causing an issue. You did bring up a good point with the windows 7 updates as well.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 3:10am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

What I see as a potential problem is the Sirtec PSU. Given the specs for this PSU, it has two 12V rails, each rated for 20A maximum output. A PSU with multiple 12V rails must have the load on each rail balanced or distributed as much as possible, or one 12V rail will be stressed more than the other.

This is the specifications I found for this PSU: http://www.highpower-tech.com/eng/product_page.php?class=20100527154213&id=20110523151533#specification

The maximum output power for both 12V rails is 400W. Given the 20A maximum spec for each rail, that is 12V x 20A = 240W. Obviously 240W + 240W = 480W, and is beyond the total maximum power for both 12V rails.

Hmm. This is interesting. I looked at different specs and didn't notice this detail. Also, since this is the maximum power, the total continuous power may be even lower. However, for a single GPU system, shouldn't this still be enough? The 40 A total current is so much above what a single GPU system should roughly require (I think I've seen "over 33A" mentioned as a minimum value for two-GPU systems) that I'd assume there to be some headroom for this sort of thing. Also, when running Prime95, the GPU should be running at its lowest setting, so it really shouldn't be using a lot of power at all.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 2:57am
Well I for one hope that you'll chime in, wardog, if you feel like I'm writing nonsense. You're probably the more experienced of us two, and I think it benefits the OP to have more than one person helping him. Furthermore, if I was a bit blunt before, I apologize. I was in a hurry and frankly the idea that ASRock would do such a bad job in product testing irks me. But I won't go further into that now.

TechLord, your system specs seem okay. Also, based on these articles your system's power consumption under load should be lower than my system's (although the absolute numbers are probably different for both):

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested/6
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/27/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-black-edition/7

Since your CPU and socket temperatures seem to be doing okay, I'm assuming that the airflow inside your case is not terrible. Unless the VRM heatsink is not properly attached, it don't think it should be overheating. If you want, you could try opening your case and positioning one of the case fans (assuming you have two) so that it blows air straight over the VRM heatsink. Then run Prime95 and see if the problem persists. Before you open the case, however, you might want to try the following things.

The Turbo Core on your FX-6300 works a bit differently than on my Phenom II X6, where TC is activated when roughly half of the cores are loaded (it's a soft limit, though, so at times four cores may be running at TC speeds). You should see the 4.1 GHz when only two cores are loaded. Prime95 loads those two CPUs so fully that the OS and other programs you may be running in the background probably load the remaining CPUs enough to prevent this mode from activating. On my CPU I can only run two workers at a time in order to run them steadily at TC speeds. If I try with three workers, I only see occasional and brief TC speeds. So, try running Prime95 with only one worker and see if you'll see that 4.1 GHz. If you do, then the reason for not seeing before is what I said above.

Are you running Windows 7? If so, have you installed the bugfixes that are supposed to fix compatibility issues with FX-series CPUs?

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-amd-fx-6300-needs-fix-for-windows-7
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2645594

Also, see if the trick mentioned here helps you:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1899751/6300-reaching-ghz-turbo-enabled.html

Edit: Typos

Edited by PetrolHead - 06 Dec 2015 at 3:31am
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 2:51am
My opinion on this is different in some ways.

First, the chipset itself, whether a 970 or 990, is not a determining factor regarding any throttling of the CPU. Unless the chipset itself is over heating. I can't see any temperatures that seem to be that of the chipset, or if one is it is not very high.

The VRMs on this board is just a 4 + 1 phase design, with a small heat sink. While a top-down type of CPU cooler is being used, the heated air from the CPU cooler is being used to cool the VRMs.

The specs or "promises" for what processors are compatible with this board are more likely what AMD states is fine.

What I see as a potential problem is the Sirtec PSU. Given the specs for this PSU, it has two 12V rails, each rated for 20A maximum output. A PSU with multiple 12V rails must have the load on each rail balanced or distributed as much as possible, or one 12V rail will be stressed more than the other.

This is the specifications I found for this PSU: http://www.highpower-tech.com/eng/product_page.php?class=20100527154213&id=20110523151533#specification

The maximum output power for both 12V rails is 400W. Given the 20A maximum spec for each rail, that is 12V x 20A = 240W. Obviously 240W + 240W = 480W, and is beyond the total maximum power for both 12V rails.

We don't see a 12V reading in the screenshot on the first page of this thread. I would suggest trying HWiNFO64 to monitor your system: http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Voltage readings in the BIOS are with one CPU core being used. No multi-threading of CPU cores occurs until Windows boots.

The comment about many identical systems like this one is ONLY true if EVERY component in the PCs are identical, not just the board and CPU. That includes the PSU and PC case and cooling fans, etc.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 11:14pm
Yea. The Internet does indeed when one searches it support both side of this coin.

You're in good hands with PetrolHead here now to assist you.
TechLord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechLord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 10:42pm
wardog, the reason I do not agree with you  is because I bet we can find lots of people running this setup (970M and FX-6300) at stock everything (speeds, cooling) without any issues at all. It should work without any upgrading.

Petrolhead, I am glad we agree. Here is the list of the components:

CPU: FX-6300
MB: Asrock 970M PRO3
GPU: ASUS GTX 660 OC 2GB
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston Savage DDR3 1600 Mhz
1 SSD, 1HDD, 1 DVD
PSU: Sirtec - High Power Element PLUS 500W (HPC-500-G12S).

All voltages look good in BIOS.

If anyone reads this post and has this setup working properly please speak up. :)

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 10:27pm
Oops. My bad. I saw edited on the bottom of the post above this and assumed it was the OP.

PetrolHead, I'll let you assist the OP as we two have differing opinions on this. Not that I would not nor could not help him, instead only that you are of the inkling these perform ok.

I'll bow to your experience here and intently observe while you help the OP in this matter to resolution.

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

If we're debating, please don't edit.

Instead, make a new post reiterating your point(s).
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 10:21pm
If we're debating, please don't edit.

Instead, make a new post reiterating your point(s).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic