ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X470 Taichi bios 1.60 won't post...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beekermartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X470 Taichi bios 1.60 won't post...
    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:38am
I ordered a brand new X470 Taichi and 3700X. I quickly realized my mobo needs a bios update for the 3700x to work. That is very annoying since it requires a cpu to update the bios. I tried a few local computer repair shops and no one had a cpu I could borrow nor could they update the bios for me. I friend of mine mailed me a 2400g that according to Asrock's site is compatible with all bios versions. It won't post but it does show a post code of 00. The 3700x didn't show any post codes. I then found another friend that has a 2200g in his cheap HP computer. I tried his 2200g and it still won't post. I get the same 00 code as with the 2400g. I then tried the 2400g in his HP computer and it worked.

So I know the 2400g I have is a good working cpu but it isn't working in the Taichi X470. I guess my question is should the 2200g or 2400g be working in the Taichi X470 with bios version 1.60? According to Asrock's website they should be working. Does that mean the motherboard is defective? I am currently working on getting a "boot kit" from AMD to try. Maybe the cpu they send will post and I can finally update the bios? Since the 2400g should be working I am leaning towards the motherboard is bad.

Why did Newegg send me a brand new motherboard with such an old bios? I don't know but it sure is frustrating. I have spent hours trying to figure out why this board won't post. I have never had an issue like this with any Intel builds I have done. This is also my first Asrock board and needless to say it isn't going well.
ThreeDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreeDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 2:53pm
https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334

Clear CMOS and then Make sure you are seating the CPU properly ..?

|Ryzen 5 5900|ASRock X570 Taichi-BIOS 4.60|2x16GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200@3600 1:1 IF|ASRock RX 6700XT|2 x PCIe 4.0 M.2 Drives for OS & Games|850 WTT Seasonic 80+ Titanium PSU|Noctua NH-D15|
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 3:26pm
Disconnect the power from the system, pull the CMOS battery and let it sit for
10mins. Make sure your 8pin CPU power cable is connected to the board and that it
is the correct connector (4+4 not 6+2), install a single stick of RAM in slot A2,
replace the battery and reconnect power and power on with just the CPU, GPU (if
you are using the 2200g/2400g then you don't need a GPU) and one stick of RAM.
Leave the system powered on for 5 mins to ensure it is getting through the RAM
training process. If you see a 00 code that remains on the display, power off
and reseat the CPU. 00 is a CPU detection error code so either it isn't getting
power (8pin CPU power not connected), the CPU is not supported (the 2200g and
2400g are supported), the BIOS is glitched (clear CMOS to fix) or the board is damaged.

More often than not, a full CMOS clear is all that's needed. Trying to boot
with an unsupported CPU can glitch the BIOS out and make it unable to recognize
any CPU.

Let us know how you get on, good luck.

Edited by Xaltar - 09 Jun 2020 at 3:27pm
beekermartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beekermartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:33pm
Thank you for the responses.

I have reset the CMOS countless times. I have done it with the power supply disconnected, connected, on, off, held it for 15 seconds, etc. I even did it by jumping the two connectors on the board instead of the button on the back. It didn't help. I have also pulled the battery and let it sit for well over 10 minutes. I tried booting with only 1 stick of ram in every slot and I even tried with no ram installed and I still get the same 00 post code with the 2400g installed. Again, with the 3700x installed it doesn't give any post codes. I have removed and reinstalled the CPU countless times. It is seated properly.

AMD responded and they are sending me their "boot kit" with a Athlon 200GE CPU. Hopefully it doesn't take long to receive it and it will post with the 200GE. If it doesn't post with that then I assume the board is bad.    
damric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:17pm
I'd send it back to newegg for a new board. I got an X470 Taichi last week month from the egg and it already had Matisse BIOS flashed. Not sure why they sent you old stock that wasn't updated. They are supposed to update the old ones and put a new sticker on it that says "Ryzen 3000 Ready"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beekermartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by damric damric wrote:

I'd send it back to newegg for a new board. I got an X470 Taichi last week month from the egg and it already had Matisse BIOS flashed. Not sure why they sent you old stock that wasn't updated. They are supposed to update the old ones and put a new sticker on it that says "Ryzen 3000 Ready"

Very interesting that you say that. The box does have a "Ryzen 3000 Ready" sticker on it. I am assuming the bios is 1.60 because that is what is written on the bios chip. Since I can't get it to post I have no idea what the bios actually is.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 1:10am
That is very interesting. So with the 3700x you don't get a code at all but the
the two 2000 series APUs both flag a 00 error. Have you tried powering on with
the 3700x and a GPU and just left it on for 10 mins or so? Sometimes the first
POST can take a while, up to 5 mins I have observed building systems.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beekermartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

That is very interesting. So with the 3700x you don't get a code at all but the
the two 2000 series APUs both flag a 00 error. Have you tried powering on with
the 3700x and a GPU and just left it on for 10 mins or so? Sometimes the first
POST can take a while, up to 5 mins I have observed building systems.

I did leave it on for some time a couple of times with no difference. I am thinking about removing it from the case tonight to eliminate a short or ground issue. I doubt that is the issue but it can't hurt to try. When I do that tonight I will leave it on for at least 20 minutes with both the 2400g and the 3700x installed. The thing is it power cycles after about 15 seconds. So I don't think leaving it on will make any difference.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beekermartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:28am
I removed the motherboard from the case and installed only the CPU and 1 stick of ram in the A2 slot. When I tried the 3700X I installed a video card of course. With the 2400G I did not install a video card. I even removed the 970 Evo. I had nothing else connected to the board besides the 24 pin power cable, 8 pin and 4 pin CPU power cables and the case headers. Nothing else besides what I mentioned above. I got the exact same results. With the 2400G installed I get a post code of 00 and it power cycles every fifteen seconds or so. I left it powered on for over 20 minutes but there was no change. I did the same thing with the 3700X installed. With the 3700X there is no post codes but I left it powered on for over 20 minutes as well. No difference.

So either the bios on this board is corrupted or it isn't compatible with either the 2400G or the 3700X. Hopefully AMD ships me their "boot kit" soon. Once I try that my only option will be to RMA the board if it doesn't work. I am already past the 30 day window to return it to Newegg. I started the RMA process with ASRock but I would like to try to the AMD boot kit first to see if that works. I doubt it will since the 2400G should work with every bios the X470 Taichi has available but it is not working.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beekermartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 8:29am
I received the "AMD Boot Kit" which came with a Athlon 200GE CPU. I got the same results. Post code 00 and it won't post. I have to RMA the board. I am beyond frustrated and pissed off. This is my first AMD build in probably 20 years and it has been a disaster. I know Ryzen offers excellent performance but I wish I would have stuck with Intel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic