ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

issues with asrock 990fx killer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Before tearing it down .......

1. Check that you are using the latest non-problematic driver for your video cards.

2. Baring that, pull the two R9 280X's and test with a different single video card.

EDITED to include "different"
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">

1 i am using crimson driver 15.11.1

2 that would be a problem i just sold my last unused video card 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 7:32pm
Before tearing it down .......

1. Check that you are using the latest non-problematic driver for your video cards.

2. Baring that, pull the two R9 280X's and test with a different single video card.

EDITED to include "different"

Edited by wardog - 14 Dec 2015 at 7:33pm
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 2:16am
ya i never seen this issue before in the 17 years of working on pc ever but Im going to have to fork out some cash to get a replacement board and test again plus im sure the board is defective when i got it and didnt show signs of it failing till i upgraded to 10 so it was just a matter of time and i think overclocking the cpu-nb just put it over the breaking point lol 

at this point im eather going to wait and deal with the freezing up and get it the same board i have now later on when i get the money for it or get a cheap board to put the fx4300 and let my wife keep the fx8350 till i get the asrock fatailty 990fx killer board replaced

not sure what i should do what do you think

Edited by Tomlintm - 14 Dec 2015 at 7:11am
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 1:49am
Well I'm pretty much out of ideas. If it started with Windows 10, it would be easy to assume that it's a Windows issue, but why would going back to Windows 8 not help? Does Windows make changes in the NVRAM or anywhere else which might cause the observed behaviour and would not get changed back by Windows 8? It just sounds so weird that it makes me think it's just a coincidence that the symptoms started after installing Windows 10. But I'm no expert and I also have personal experience of Windows doing weird stuff on my ASRock motherboard*, so I'm not willing to rule out any possibility. Unfortunately, I can't really help with this either. At least the problem doesn't seem to be the CPU, which I guess is good news.

*I had to edit Windows boot options manually using bcdedit to be able to boot to grub, since booting to Windows erased the Ubuntu boot option from the BIOS/UEFI boot menu, even though the EFI partition had all the required files intact.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 8:34pm
update replacing cpu with fx4300 froze up over night im aiming for a defecive motherboard now
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 10:58am
wanted to update that i switched out my fx 8350 for jmy wifes fx4300 now this will tell me if the board or cpu is bad im also testing my fx 8350 in my wifes pc she has a different board but same brand name
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 6:24am
bump
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:25am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

I'd still try to run it using all four sticks, just to be sure. If there are no errors, then to me the whole problem would start to sound like a Windows-related issue. Luckily there's a way to check this: you could try running Linux. You can either use a Live CD if you have one already, or make a bootable USB stick using some Linux image. I'm not sure it matters which Linux distro you use for this, but Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS should be a pretty safe bet (see http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install). You don't need to install Ubuntu, you can just run it off the USB stick. If the computer is stable under Ubuntu, then I'd say the issue is somehow linked to Windows.

Thats the thing it all started with windows 10 and i gone to windows 8.1 tp see if the problem would jump from os to os and it did tho it doesnt afect window 8.1 as it did windows 10 but it still freezes up tho

Edited by Tomlintm - 12 Dec 2015 at 9:50am
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:06am
I'd still try to run it using all four sticks, just to be sure. If there are no errors, then to me the whole problem would start to sound like a Windows-related issue. Luckily there's a way to check this: you could try running Linux. You can either use a Live CD if you have one already, or make a bootable USB stick using some Linux image. I'm not sure it matters which Linux distro you use for this, but Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS should be a pretty safe bet (see http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install). You don't need to install Ubuntu, you can just run it off the USB stick. If the computer is stable under Ubuntu, then I'd say the issue is somehow linked to Windows.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:28am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

In that case trying the FX-4300 in your rig seems worth the trouble. I would also suggest running MemTest86, as I would expect it to produce errors and the error log may help pinpoint the source of those errors.

I did do memtest86 on all chips before i came looking for help and no errors were found the test run all night on all chips sepertly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic