ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

issues with asrock 990fx killer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: issues with asrock 990fx killer
    Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 3:16am
my PC is having a really bad hard lockup with no bsod randomly thru out the day and i did over clock my north bridge from 2200 to around 2800 with stock voltages which did cause random bsod and forgot about it but after i put it back to stock speeds the bsod screen gone away and i may have a malfunctioning north bridge so im curious can the north bridge cause system lockups with out bsod

so i did some test after i had some time to actully focus lol

i replaced my memory with good memory i stole from my gf pc lol but still locked up so i put my memory back in and then i got a new laptop hdd to test my desktop with and used acronis to copy my ssd to the hdd which was very successful i might say didnt think it would work but it did but i got immediate results from the new drive. i checked the event logs to see when the last time it froze up and what do i see File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ??015????0????9T21:40:23.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager. right after start up and no system freeze up idk if this is to early in my test but i think my ssd is trashed which every test i ran on it says its heathy but im going to leave my desktop on for atleast a week with out restarting unless i have that will be a full out test of the new drive

But i spook to soon it locked up on me over night with the new drive with the same file system filter so now im testing it with windows 8 then upgrade 8.1 from windows 10 to see if the issues tranfers from os to os on another drive if so my mobo is bad but if it doesnt then i would suspect the ssd has failed unless im wrong with that therey

after some test with the new hdd with 8.1 its still locking up idk what else to check

CPU: AMD FX8350
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w/ 120mm fans
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer
Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) Running at 1600Mhz
HDD #1: Samsung SSD 840 Series 120gb (Windows 10 Home 64bit)(test HD#1:  WD Blue 500GB Windows home 8.1 64bit)
HDD #2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (storage)
GPU: 2X Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3gb Dual-X OC Edition idle core 500mhz memory 1500mhz load 1020mhz memory 1500mhz
PSU: Rosewill LIGHTNING-1000 1000W
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST
Case: Rosewill THOR V2
Keyboard: Redragon ASURA K501 USB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Redragon M601 CENTROPHORUS-2000 DPI Gaming Mouse

Edited by Tomlintm - 10 Dec 2015 at 5:01am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:04am
Are you running with the latest BIOS available for download?

If not, flash the latest and reply back if this continues afterwards.

Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:12am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Are you running with the latest BIOS available for download?

If not, flash the latest and reply back if this continues afterwards.

yes im using 1.50
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:23am
Hmmm, stabbing in the dark here, ok?

What versions of Windows are yoou using? Home, Pro, etc etc

2800? Clap Gadzooks man. What were you thinking?

Pull the power, and do the LONG CMOS CLEAR. Pull batt, jumper etc etc
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:27am

Hmmm, stabbing in the dark here, ok?

What versions of Windows are yoou using? Home, Pro, etc etc

2800? Clap Gadzooks man. What were you thinking?

Pull the power, and do the LONG CMOS CLEAR. Pull batt, jumper etc etc

im using windows 8.1 home and my ssd which im not using at the moment has windows 10 home on it and i already did all that from the beginning to make sure everything was reset and working properly

and i to tell you the truth idk i was dumb lol
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:59am
I forgot to include:

32bit x86 or 64bit x64?
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:00am

I forgot to include:

32bit x86 or 64bit x64?

64 bit i did include all the info you are asking in the post lol
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Tomlintm Tomlintm wrote:

I still don't see where, but hey ....... I know now.

Is your 16GB(4x4GB), one 16GB(4x4) Kit, two 8GB(2x4) Kits, or random sticks?

Check that the BIOS is setting the proper memory voltage for whatever Sniper you have.

Setting them using their XMP Profiles in the BIOS?

One more, but before I'd like to know just what memory Kits you have there.

Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:54am

Originally posted by Tomlintm Tomlintm wrote:

I still don't see where, but hey ....... I know now.

Is your 16GB(4x4GB), one 16GB(4x4) Kit, two 8GB(2x4) Kits, or random sticks?

Check that the BIOS is setting the proper memory voltage for whatever Sniper you have.

Setting them using their XMP Profiles in the BIOS?

One more, but before I'd like to know just what memory Kits you have there.

I

The memory kit is 4x4gb and the bios saya its set to 1.5v which is what the sticks are rated for and i havent set the xmp profile its all stock timings
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 6:58am
Try lowering your memory speed to 1333 MHz and make sure you use the SPD values for the timings. This is why:

If that seems to help, then you should probably still run Passmark's Memtest86 to check the memory sticks work as they should.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic