ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

issues with asrock 990fx killer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 12:01am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

Those temps do seem a bit high. For gaming 140F should be okay, but it's still over the often recommended 130F maximum temperature under stress testing. Even though an FX CPU may be able to take higher temperatures than older Phenom II's, your system might still not be fully stable under Prime95. Also, at idle I would've expected something around 85F, especially since there should be no issues with the case cooling. Maybe the TIM between the CPU and the heatsink is getting old or has not spread properly...

Btw, the motherboard temperature and socket temperature are two different things. The socket temperature is the CPUTIN temperature in HWMonitor and for that the often recommended maximum temperature is 158F, but again the FX CPU might be able to stay stable even at 185F. See here, for example:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/728489-FX-its-tougher-than-you-think

While your temperatures are a bit higher than what I would have expected, I don't think they're what causing the crashes. At idle even the VRM should be running cool enough. If you know of a way to make the system crash (like running Aida's stress test), you could try bumping the CPU-NB voltage slightly and see if that has an effect on stability. Also bumping the RAM voltage slightly might be worth a try, it seemed to help for someone experiencing similar issues (it might be worth reading the whole thread):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?284441-strange-stability-issues-with-FX-8350

I'd probably start with bumping the RAM to 1.55V and then 1.6V if that doesn't help. If that's not enough, then I'd try 1.2V for the CPU-NB and 1.55V for RAM, and then again increasing RAM voltage to 1.6V if it still doesn't work.

i been looking thru the temps after you said there a bit high and i noticed there is 4 different cpu temps in hwinfo

cpu 0 : 80-84F idle
cpu 0 package which is the same as cpu 0
cpu : 90-105 at idle which is the vrm temps
cpu (peci) :and thats the same as cpu 

there is no cputin there is only systin 1,2,3
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 12:12am
Okay, that's just due to us having different motherboards and thus different heat sensors. The names don't matter as long as you know what each temperature means.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 12:25am

Okay, that's just due to us having different motherboards and thus different heat sensors. The names don't matter as long as you know what each temperature means.

i did read thru the post you linked and the guy that had the same issues as i do couldent find a error in his event viewer but i have the cause of my freeze up but i no it hardware issues and i no its not a ram issues still trying to figure out if my motherboard or cpu is at cause here here is the cause im having in the event viwer maybe you can enlighten me on what it means

File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ??015????0????9T21:40:23.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 1:12am
Unfortunately I don't know any more of that error message than you do. :/ I share your belief that the RAM modules should be fine, but the fact that you're using four of them puts extra stress on you CPU-NB. This is why stock voltages may not be enough and bumping the voltage up could help. I suggested bumping the RAM voltage up first only because that's what helped the other guy and it doesn't make the CPU run any hotter. Increasing the CPU-NB does, so you need to monitor the temperatures when or if you decide to do it.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 1:44am

Unfortunately I don't know any more of that error message than you do. :/ I share your belief that the RAM modules should be fine, but the fact that you're using four of them puts extra stress on you CPU-NB. This is why stock voltages may not be enough and bumping the voltage up could help. I suggested bumping the RAM voltage up first only because that's what helped the other guy and it doesn't make the CPU run any hotter. Increasing the CPU-NB does, so you need to monitor the temperatures when or if you decide to do it.

i did forget to mention that it still froze up with just 2 stick in i tryed both sets of ram sticks sepretly to make sure the stick were bad and i even tested the stick in my wifes pc and all fine
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 7:36am
In that case trying the FX-4300 in your rig seems worth the trouble. I would also suggest running MemTest86, as I would expect it to produce errors and the error log may help pinpoint the source of those errors.
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:28am

In that case trying the FX-4300 in your rig seems worth the trouble. I would also suggest running MemTest86, as I would expect it to produce errors and the error log may help pinpoint the source of those errors.

I did do memtest86 on all chips before i came looking for help and no errors were found the test run all night on all chips sepertly
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:06am
I'd still try to run it using all four sticks, just to be sure. If there are no errors, then to me the whole problem would start to sound like a Windows-related issue. Luckily there's a way to check this: you could try running Linux. You can either use a Live CD if you have one already, or make a bootable USB stick using some Linux image. I'm not sure it matters which Linux distro you use for this, but Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS should be a pretty safe bet (see http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install). You don't need to install Ubuntu, you can just run it off the USB stick. If the computer is stable under Ubuntu, then I'd say the issue is somehow linked to Windows.
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:25am

I'd still try to run it using all four sticks, just to be sure. If there are no errors, then to me the whole problem would start to sound like a Windows-related issue. Luckily there's a way to check this: you could try running Linux. You can either use a Live CD if you have one already, or make a bootable USB stick using some Linux image. I'm not sure it matters which Linux distro you use for this, but Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS should be a pretty safe bet (see http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install). You don't need to install Ubuntu, you can just run it off the USB stick. If the computer is stable under Ubuntu, then I'd say the issue is somehow linked to Windows.

Thats the thing it all started with windows 10 and i gone to windows 8.1 tp see if the problem would jump from os to os and it did tho it doesnt afect window 8.1 as it did windows 10 but it still freezes up tho

Edited by Tomlintm - 12 Dec 2015 at 9:50am
Tomlintm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 6:24am
bump
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic