ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No keyboard or mouse working in UEFI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No keyboard or mouse working in UEFI
    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 12:38pm
Hi - strange issue - there is no power provided to USB keyboard or mouse until windows boot. If i remove the PCIe video card and use onboard graphics, USB power is restored to keyboard and works in UEFI.

Anyone got any ideas of a work around to enable keyboard and mouse in UEFI with video card still in, so i can change UEFI settings (and not have to remove video card / clear CMOS by removing batter every time)?

thanks
Deken
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 2:16pm
Dear Deken,

Thanks for posting your query.

Could you tell us the model name of the motherboard that you are using?

Also, kindly provide the BIOS version and graphics card model name so that we are able to check for you.

Before providing the mentioned information, kindly try with different USB ports to see if it will work.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
deken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 2:46pm
Hi

Motherboard: Asrock z87m extreme4
Bios version: 2.20
Graphics card: Galax GeForce GTX 1650 Super

I have tried all usb ports, i even bought a ps/2 to USB adaptor to see if it would work with PS/2 port. it doesn't. As i said - there is no power going to the usb at all during post and the lights do not turn on keyboard or hub until windows login.

thanks
Dyan
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:51pm
Dear Deken,

Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry, we do not have the same motherboard to check with anymore.

But here are some information that might help.
With the combination of the followings, it might cause the system not working properly.

New graphic card + early released motherboard.
Old graphics card + recently released motherboard.

We will recommend save the BIOS settings with the onboard graphics first then install the graphics card to the system to apply the BIOS settings.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
andreamark543 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andreamark543 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 1:38pm
I am also facing this similar issue.
deken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:19pm
So I put in an older graphics card (R9 280x) and the issue went away.

This would suggest ASUS team is correct that newer cards are incompatible with A87m boards.

I also found clearing the CMOS let it work with the new card for the first boot (sometimes even second, definitely not third).

elvar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 11:44pm
I have exactly the same problem with my Asrock B85M Pro4. I upgraded to an RTX 2070 Super. No keyboard or mouse during boot.
Updating the BIOS to 2.60 beta does not help. The settings remain untouched.

@deken: Clearing CMOS, removing the graphics card and boot once. Reinstall the graphics card, and then it will work only for the first time.

If you only boot to BIOS, USB seems to be stable. If you do a full boot to OS, then USB is gone again.   

elvar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2020 at 7:05pm
Hello,

here is a easy fix for the problem. Get a PS/2-Adapter for your USB-Keyboard. And you will have a working input device for BIOS/UEFI - even USB mouse is working then.

greetz
badeline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badeline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 3:18am
Hi - I have exactly the same problem. B85m Pro4 Motherboard, changed my GPU from a GT 1030 to a GTX 1660s and now my USB-Ports don't work anymore in UEFI Mode, except for one time immediately after resetting the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery. Did nobody find a solution or workaround?

thanks
tinictus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tinictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 4:08am
Hi,

I have the same problem with an Nvidia Geforce 1650 Super and Asrock Z87 Extreme 4.

I notized that pressing the reset button before the O.S starts makes the USB keyboard and mouse work the next time.

This is super annoying but at least does not require clearing CMOS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic