ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Pro4 Windows 7 USB issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 6:04am
Let's get you Updated to the latest NON-Beta BIOS, 2.00 Dated Dec 22 2015.

First, as it has an ME update flash to BIOS 2.80. The trick here is it is a two step process(or, it used to be anyways). Using Instant Flash only, the procedure will first flash the BIOS, then, while leaving the usb stick in the machine, upon completing the BIOS flash upon the reboot after, it will update the ME.

It is imperative that you do not take the usb stick out until after the second reboot from beginning this procedure.
TimJohnson72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimJohnson72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 6:46am
Used the error checking tool on both drives, and both didn't seem to have any problems. Before my latest BSOD, I had some artifacting and screen tearing which was new. Might try bumping the CAS latency of the RAM from 13 to 14 next. If none of that works I'll try the motherboard BIOS update, though I'm a bit nervous to do that since I've never done it before.

edit: the firmware update tool seems to say it's in good health, so I'm going to skip updating its firmware for now and just swap out sata cables https://gyazo.com/02d90743ff2c2394ec98f2befcaa7c04

Edited by TimJohnson72 - 27 Dec 2015 at 6:50am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 6:58am
Tim, on the lower right quadrant of the motherboard, directly to the right of the CMOS battery is your BIOS chip that has a white sticker over it with printing. This will be the BIOS revision that the factory flashed the BIOS chip to that it left the factory NEW with..

Assuming this board came to you as new and not open boxed or second hand, what is printed on the sticker?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimJohnson72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 8:43am
It said P 1.50

Bought the motherboard new in early November, didn't open box until Christmas when I built the computer. Still getting bluescreens, and I just now swapped out the SATA cables. The one I was using for it was a cheap one from Amazon, so I just switched it out with one that came with the motherboard. 

Edit: Still had a BSOD. Doesn't windows dump info on these errors somewhere? It might could tell me what the issue is. Computer lasts about 20 minutes to an hour before it bluescreens, depending on how much I'm doing.

Edited by TimJohnson72 - 27 Dec 2015 at 9:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimJohnson72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 9:34am
It's blue-screening so often now, I'm going to reinstall windows and if that doesn't work I'm just gonna try to RMA the motherboard and RAM. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 10:04am
I have a strong hunch when you get both back you'll have the ameproblem.

IMO it's that the ram is not compatible that is causing your issue. Corsair says it doesn't belong on your board.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimJohnson72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 11:16am
As I was disassembling the PC I noticed one of the metal parts on the motherboard was loose, one with a thermal pad

Immediately facepalmed and put it back on properly. That must've been a memory controller. I'm sending this from the PC now but I'm still going to be weary of bluescreens. 

This does make sense to me though, and would explain why I always got a BSOD when doing more memory-intensive things. I'm not gonna be sold until I go hours without a BSOD though
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 11:28am
Copy the facepalm.

Those are attached by screws from the backside of the motherboard.

How in heck did it get loose? "It' being the large rectangular one in the lower right of the board?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimJohnson72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 11:58am
Still gets the BSOD thing. Going to go through with replacing it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic