ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Pro4 Windows 7 USB issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimJohnson72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Pro4 Windows 7 USB issues
    Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 6:40am
I was able to install windows 7 by enabling ps2 emulation, but now that I'm using it I'm missing many features from my keyboard/mouse. When I disable ps2 emulation I can no longer log into windows or even enter the BIOS, so I had to reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery. Is there any way to patch in the drivers I need now, or will I have to reinstall windows entirely with the patched windows 7 thing?
TimJohnson72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimJohnson72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 8:33am
Now I'm getting BSOD's and it's mentioning memory issues. I have two hard drives and I think there may be issues in my configuration, but I'm going to try swapping RAM slots next time it happens. The RAM is running at 2133mhz so I don't believe that's the issue.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimJohnson72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 8:37am
Just got another and it says "PAGE_FAULT_IN_UNPAGED_AREA"
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 1:53pm
To install windows 7 on 100 series motherboards you need to use the "Windows 7 USB Patcher". This is due to the fact that windows 7 does not have native drivers for the 100 series and it results in the issues you mentioned. You can find the patcher at the bottom of the page here

Try reinstalling your OS using the patcher and see if it resolves your issues. The BSODs could be driver related. If you are still having issues after a fresh install then please post your system specs in full with particular attention to any old parts you have reused.

Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimJohnson72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 4:56pm
I got the USB stuff sorted out, but I'm still getting BSOD's. I've tried changing the DIMM slots (2x4GB, 2133mhz ddr4) and it didn't help. The parts I'm using are mostly new but the SSD is a crucial SSD (256GB) that's less than a year old, but been used regularly since the Summer. All of the core components are new as well. 

i5 6600
Asrock z170 pro4
Corsair 600w PSU
Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x4GB, 2133mhz)
256GB Crucial SSD (C Drive)
1TB WD (E Drive)

From what I've been able to find about the BSOD messages, it seems to be memory related. I have 1tb Hard drive hooked up as well, but I don't think that would create any errors since it's not the C: Drive. I used windows disk management to scan the E: Drive for errors and it came back clean, but when I scanned the C: Drive it ended up giving me a BSOD. This is my second install of windows on this PC but I didn't use the first one long enough to give it a chance to BSOD. Built the PC this morning, and it runs well until it crashes. I'm tempted to try installing windows again on an old laptop hard drive I have to see if it's the SSD that's simply dying or something. If that doesn't work I'll start using 1 DIMM at a time, with different slots. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 5:41pm
"PAGE_FAULT_IN_UNPAGED_AREA" can be caused by both RAM and Hard disk errors and given all the other components are new I would start troubleshooting with the SSD. Firstly, try a new SATA cable on the drive, if it is damaged or the wrong type it can cause stability issues. Be sure to use a SATA 3 cable.

You can use a tool like HDtune to determine the "smart" status of your drive. This will tell you if there are any major issues by listing reallocated sectors (disabled and reassigned in the case of an SSD) as well as an overall health rating. I have seen symptoms like this occur on systems shortly before a drive failure. The page fault error occurs with a hard disk when the system is calling cached data from the drive. Disabling the system page file will usually result in the BSOD ceasing but it is not a solution as it shouldn't be happening to a healthy drive.

If you find the drive is faulty you can try checking for a firmware update for it and use whatever tools Crucial provides for the drive to rectify the situation. If all else fails you will need to get a new SSD.

If the SSD comes out clean then we can look into other possible causes.

Edited by Xaltar - 26 Dec 2015 at 5:41pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 10:59pm
OT but what specific model of Kingston RAM are you using Tim?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimJohnson72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 3:36am
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233824 

Model # CMK8GX4M2A2133X13R

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 5:47am
It appears Corsair hasn't certified these sticks for the ASRock Z170 Pro4.

The board isn't on the tested list for this memory
http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/download-files/manuals/dram/DDR4-Compatibility.pdf

The memory isn't on the tested list for this board either.
http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-finder

Rather moot at this point knowing the above, yet is the board setting the proper 1.2v ?

Where these errors generated while using XMP Profiles or via manually setting the timings ?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2015 at 5:57am
DELETED

RETYPING A NEW ONE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic