ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB randomly disconnecting and reconnecting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenmue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB randomly disconnecting and reconnecting
    Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 9:51pm
I've several issues with my ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0. My processor is an AMD FX8320.

- My hard disk is randomly disconnecting and reconnecting in USB 3.0 (each 10, 5 or 2 minutes) even when I commit no files transfer.

- I can't copy/paste files between my PC and 3.0 USB keys when they are connected to a USB 3.0 port (writing speed = drop to zero in few seconds)

- My 2.0 USB devices work really bad in these USB 3.0 ports

- It happens pretty rarely but some USB 2.0 devices (mouse, keyboard or wifi receptor) are randomly disconnecting during dozens of seconds when they're connected to USB 2.0 ports. It's mostly the case for my wifi receptor when I download a huge amount of bytes per second.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 10:19am
This will seem strange at first but it's backed up by my many many experiences building computers.

USB 3.0, in the way it communicates, has the propensity to develop RF interference in the 2.4GHz band. This will manifest itself in exactly the ways you describe above. Disconnects, wireless keyboard key press delays, etc etc.

As a simple test, enter the BIOS and if the ability to disable the MB's USB 3.0/3.1 ports is available, disable them temporarily and re-test. I'll bet your problems disappear or at least become negligible. Negligible, only because of possible other 2.4 band interference you may have there.

If disabling them helps all I can offer from experience is to get some 3-5' USB 2.0 extension cables, extend them as far away from the USB3.0/3.1 ports as possible, and plug your USB 2.0 devices to these. Thus separating by distance the USB2.0 and USB3.0/3.1.

It works here every time I build for a customer that demands a lot of USB devices be added. Extension cables stop this behavior dead in its tracks
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 10:23am
GOOD extension cables. Not those 99cent cheap black narrow gauge ones.

I actually use good blue twisted pair and shielded USB 3.0 extension cables, even though they're for the USB 2.0 ports/devices. Works wonders.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 11:04am
Oh. Another BIOS option that may be available is Spread Spectrum Clocking, or likeness, that may give "some' relief.

This "modulates' the systems signals and is intended to reduce/negate the effects EMI/RF cause.
shenmue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenmue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 1:39am
Thank you very much for your answer.

I plugged my USB 3.0 HDD further away from the used 2.0 port and the related issue has disappeared. I would never have thought about frequency radio.
bjlockie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjlockie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 4:47am
I had the same problem and the 970 Extreme3 V1 motherboard.
I used a shorter cable and the problem disappeared.
It's disappointing USB3 has this problem (if a cable is speced for USB3 then it should be shielded from interference).

ASRock B450M Pro4
16 GB DDR4, 500 watt PS, AMD Ryzen-5 5600, NVidia GTX-1050, 5.70 BIOS
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:20am
Originally posted by bjlockie bjlockie wrote:

(if a cable is speced for USB3 then it should be shielded from interference).

A long cable is sometimes just as detrimental here, RF, as it can act as an antenna. Remember, RF on the ground/drain/shield travels along just fine and can enter circuitry, somewhere.

As for spec's 3.0. Your words .... "should be' .... Some Co's will short a product wherever they can!

Contrary to what one would like to imagine, getting a large OD blue cable means nothing. It's what's inside that counts. OD of it be damned. In the early days when the blue Asian 3.0 cables first came out all the OD represented was an increase of vinyl and not what got placed under all that blue vinyl.

Edited by wardog - 03 Jan 2016 at 5:54am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2016 at 5:22am
Originally posted by shenmue shenmue wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer.

I plugged my USB 3.0 HDD further away from the used 2.0 port and the related issue has disappeared. I would never have thought about frequency radio.

Thank you for taking the time to reply that that helped. It's appreciated.
shenmue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenmue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 7:42pm
So I had bought a one-meter extension cable (a Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0) to put my external wifi receptor further away from my PC and everthing works well by now. My 3.0 HDD still gets some random disconnections, that's why I recommend to buy a two-meter cable instead. But globally, it's a huge step as I can use USB 3.0 sticks for the very first time.

To resume :
- Space your port connections as much as possible, especially from your wifi connection.
- If needed, use an extension cable to put your wifi receptor away.

To learn more about the issue, you can read the Intel's report : http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

Edited by shenmue - 28 Jan 2016 at 8:00pm
sf15-t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf15-t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 8:29am
Hi :)

I have the Asrock Extreme 3 2.0 motherboard and FX6300 cpu.
I have the same issues as mentioned in the first post, mostly its the issue with the internet disconnection. My question is, i have a TP LINK wn822n wifi adapter which comes with a cca 1m cable. I use it always with this cables and when my download speed gets high (app. 3mb/s) the internet connection breaks down. Its shown like the adapter is disconnected from the computer and then again connected.

Do i have to buy an extension usb cable since i already have a 1m original tp link extension cable? Or should i buy the extension cable for my 3.0 portable hard drive? The port for the hard drive is next to the port for the extension cable with the wifi adapter.

Sorry for bringing the old theme up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic