ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AR Fatal1ty 970 Performance- RAM compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 12:17am
Hi Parsec,

Your point makes completely sense, but what does make no sense to me is that AsRock for example releases a Motherboard that is only compatible with obsolete RAM. That really makes no sense at all to me...

I mean, it makes as much sense as building a new car that only allows for obsolete clutch you can't find in the market...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 12:40am
The compatibility list is determined by the memory ASRock tested with the board and in many cases where there is a new revision of an older board, like the Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1 the list is simply inherited from the base model. As Parsec said, a large part of RAM compatibility stems from the CPU as that is where the memory controller resides and in the case of AMD CPUs it stands to reason that many of the RAM modules originally supported are obsolete due to to the age of the AM3+ platform. The manufacturer does not define what RAM is supported, these parameters are set by the chipset and CPU manufacturer, in this case AMD. When working with a now almost obsolete platform it stands to reason compatibility will be spotty. Now the manufacturer can and does shoe horn compatibility via BIOS updates to increase the number of RAM specifications supported either by using tricks or simply allowing the RAM to be recognized and utilized correctly if it adheres to a supported specification. Beyond a certain point however it falls to the RAM manufacturer to ensure their products retain compatibility with older boards. This is the case now with all AMD platforms regardless of when a particular model was released.

dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 2:41am
Hi Xaltar,

If it's that then I should be saved, Kingston specifically pointed the Asrock Fatal1ty 970 performance as being compatible.

However, I have few hopes about that... But who knows! ??
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:36am

Originally posted by dinin70 dinin70 wrote:

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 - 2x4Gb 1600 Ram C9 - set @ 1333mhz in BIOS - 2.5/3 years old

For starters, Corsair doesn't list that specific memory for your motherboard. That may or may not mean it is compatible. Probally not is my guess. As I said, manufacturers have a vested interest in stating compatibility. It's their product and w/o they wouldn't be turning a profit. Not good for them.

Secondly, with you providing your list and stating that it runs at 1333 but not 1600 only bolsters my initial thoughts that this is BIOS/memory related. The BIOS has to "know' what the sticks configuration is before it will "cooperate' with memory

We can try w/o requesting a New BIOS from ASRock though. If you'd like, can you put some CPU-z screenshots of the Memory and SPD tabs for BOTH sticks please.

Edited by wardog - 06 Jan 2016 at 4:55am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:54am
Originally posted by dinin70 dinin70 wrote:

Hi Parsec,

Your point makes completely sense, but what does make no sense to me is that AsRock for example releases a Motherboard that is only compatible with obsolete RAM. That really makes no sense at all to me...

You've gone the wrong way again in believing that point.

Since ASRock does not have every available stick of memory ever produced they in no way can be expected to list much for compatibility other than what they have in-house at the time the motherboard was initially released. And then only list the sticks they have on hand at that particular time, that work.

That does not include the BIOS updates ASRock releases at later dates that are strictly for memory compatibility purposes.

I believe here in your instance unfortunately, for whatever reason, ASRock didn't include compatibility for the sticks you have now into a BIOS release. Too, keep in mind the sticks you are using are "recycled' from an older build. That means the sticks were produced some time well before your 970 performance came to market.

I haven't a clue how much of this particular memory was sold yet I venture not too many as otherwise ASRock would have been aware of it and had the "specs' rolled into the initial first BIOS release.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:31am
Just a follow up.

Nowhere on ASRocks entire site does it show these CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 sticks, in ANY compatibility list for any motherboard. Old or new.

https://www.google.com/search?q=CMX8GX3M2A1600C9+site%3Aasrock.com

Indication of probably not many sold. That doesn't mean they won't work, just that ASRock isn't/wasn't aware of them.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:39am
And please. I am not an apologist on ASRocks behalf.

To the contrary. Read some of previous posts and you'll see I call 'em like I see 'em. Good, bad, or indifferent.

Big smile There. I now feel much better concerning my posts in this particular Thread.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 11:22am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

If you'd like, can you put some CPU-z screenshots of the Memory and SPD tabs for BOTH sticks please.

Seconded. Unless you've set your RAM to run @ 1333 MHz manually, it's possible that BIOS is for some reason or another using the wrong settings for your sticks. This includes timings and voltages, so make sure to show/list also your RAM voltage. Knowing the CPU-NB voltage wouldn't hurt either.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:03pm
Dear Wardog, Petrolhead,

First of all I would like to apology to AsRock myself. I don't think you (Wardog) are an apologist to AsRock .

If I bought some month ago AsRock and not Gygabite (like my previous Intel Chipset) or MSI is because for my previous builds, when I was a teenager, I always sticked to AsRock. When I built the Intel chipset brand-new PC 5 years ago I gave my computer at that time to my mother. Well, that computer, an AMD chipset on AsRock (I don't remember the CPU / Chipset), is still alive, it's almost 10years old. AsRock never defaulted on me up to today, unless my RAM is bad, in which cas they never ever defaulted on me for more than 15 years.

If I was grumpy, it's just that I'm a bit upset for the moment :)

Anyway, that's not the point. Said this now I equally feel better towards AsRock :)

I thought that all AM3+ Motherboards set RAM frequency at default @ 1333mhz and in order to "unleash" 1600mhz you need to manually overclock your RAM through the BIOS. I thought it was normal actually that the ram was set @ 1333mhz... In fact, if you check for example MSI 970 Gaming, you see that everything that is less or equal to 1333mhz is not marked as Overclock while everything that is marked equal or more than 1600mhz is marked as Overclock.

Well, if you tell me it's not normal, then you're providing me some hope about that further stability.

The reason why I actually didn't change the RAM when I bought the Fatal1ty is that Corsair says it's compatible with AM3+ chipsets. It's not pointing specifically the AsRock Fatal1ty unlike Kingston that says the HyperX Fury HX318C10FRK2/8 is compatible with this specific MoBo.

The Kingston will be arriving on Friday. I can provide you already this night the CPU-Z printscreens of the Corsair. Maximum on Saturday late evening I will provide the ones with the Kingston.

Petrolhead, as mentioned uphere, I didn't set manually the RAM to 1333mhz. When you're asking for timing and voltage they are present on CPU-Z SPD. Are you requiring the printscreens from somewhere else?

What is the CPU/NB voltage? It is present in F-Stream so I'll be able to provide you a printscreen this late evening, but no clue on how to read the figure...

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 5:52pm
Most memory will "Default' to the JEDEC Standard of 1333 on initially installing them. That is to ensure that they will boot right away on nearly all current computer systems. It is then to the User to configure them up to their advertised speed.

Let me and PetrolHead have a look see at those screenshots. It may be something as simple as guiding you to set them manually to 1600. Wouldn't that be nice ........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic