ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AR Fatal1ty 970 Performance- RAM compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 6:00pm
Hmmm, in mulling this over I'm wondering if the XMP Profile on your admittedly older sticks conform to the minimum XMP 1.2 Profiles your board allows.

YEA! Screenshots .... Please. Those will speak volumes to all this.
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Let me and PetrolHead have a look see at those screenshots. It may be something as simple as guiding you to set them manually to 1600. Wouldn't that be nice ........

Haha, if that's the problem, that wouldn't be just nice, that would be great!

I'll provide you the printscreens around 21h00 / 22h00!

Thank you for your help!
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 1:22am
Dear Wardog, Petrolhead,

Here are the printscreens... It looks there is something strange about the RAM.

Should be a 1600mhz like it is mentionned in the "part number" of the SPD section.

It is stated as 1333mhz in the BIOS and here in CPUZ I see max bandwith 667Mhz... Is this normal?

Anyway I let you check all the things you asked

Can you see the printscreens?

Edited by dinin70 - 07 Jan 2016 at 1:24am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 2:16am
It's DDR memory. Dual Data Rate, so dual of 800 is 1600. 1600/800

That it shows 1333/667 is again the JEDEC Default that it automatically sets to. We'll get to changing this in a sec .....

-----
-----

Um, your Core Voltage is terribly high for the Clock Speed displayed. Too high!

Have you been in the BIOS making changes, and the truth here please, as your answer matters greatly and much that will follow is dependent on the answer you give.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 2:40am
Thank you for the screenshots. Your RAM timing values seem to be okay, but for some reason your RAM voltage is higher than it's supposed to be for that speed. You might want to set it to 1.5 V at first to make sure it's not causing the issues you're experiencing. The core voltage displayed by CPU-Z does also seem a bit high. It should be closer to 1.375 V at 4 GHz. F-Stream does show it to be 1.376 V, so the question is which one is closer to the truth? If you run, say, HWMonitor, how much does the voltage fluctuate?
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 3:00am
I never touched anything, neither in the Bios or in FStream :s

I will make the hwmonitor test in a few moments, about 30-45m. Need to put the kids at sleep!
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 3:58am
Hello PetrolHead,

Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

Thank you for the screenshots. Your RAM timing values seem to be okay, but for some reason your RAM voltage is higher than it's supposed to be for that speed. You might want to set it to 1.5 V at first to make sure it's not causing the issues you're experiencing.

Done that through the Bios (1.65V was actually the voltage from the Auto setting)

Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

The core voltage displayed by CPU-Z does also seem a bit high. It should be closer to 1.375 V at 4 GHz. F-Stream does show it to be 1.376 V, so the question is which one is closer to the truth? If you run, say, HWMonitor, how much does the voltage fluctuate?

So here are the test HWMonitor results after about 5minutes

Edited by dinin70 - 07 Jan 2016 at 4:59am
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 4:51am
Ok, I set the RAM to 1.5V through the BIOS and it's confirmed by FStream.

It's DDR memory. Dual Data Rate, so dual of 800 is 1600. 1600/800

That it shows 1333/667 is again the JEDEC Default that it automatically sets to. We'll get to changing this in a sec .....

Do you want me to set the RAM at 1600mhz in the BIOS? If so, shouldn't it need to go back at 1.65V instead of staying at 1.5V?

Um, your Core Voltage is terribly high for the Clock Speed displayed. Too high!

Have you been in the BIOS making changes, and the truth here please, as your answer matters greatly and much that will follow is dependent on the answer you give.

As said never touched anything. Everything was set on Auto on OC Tweaker. The only non Auto thing is RAM voltage set @ 1.5V instead of Auto (1.65V).

Am I meant to do anything with the Core Voltage?

Edited by dinin70 - 07 Jan 2016 at 5:00am
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 5:13am
Guys,

I wanted to check again the HWMonitor and I'm rather surprised the CPU Voltage is completely different than the one I experienced when the Ram was at 1.65V

While before it was oscillating between 0.88 and 1.408 (most of the time it was @ 0.88), now the spread between the Min the Max is very tight.

Can this be related to the fact the RAM voltage has been changed?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 7:01am
Originally posted by dinin70 dinin70 wrote:

Do you want me to set the RAM at 1600mhz in the BIOS? If so, shouldn't it need to go back at 1.65V instead of staying at 1.5V?

Core voltage looks lots better. Reasonable.

I believe I'm going to lead you straight here ...... I'm using the online manual, sigh

First, lets reset your BIOS back to all defaults...
BIOS > Exit tab > choose "Load UEFI Defaults" save and reboot right back into the BIOS, then the Exit tab again, then "Save Changes and Exit, then right back into the BIOS. I know, PITA

OK, let's set the sticks to their 1600Mhz XMP Profile.

BIOS > OC Tweaker tab > and here on your board I believe you want to select "DRAM Timing Configuration" , and you should now be presented with an option to change to an XMP Profile.

That's all you need to do is select an XMP Profile, the save and reboot. Don't muss nor fuss with anything else at this point. After selecting the XMP and rebooting go right back into the BIOS to check that your sticks are running at 1600.

Again, doing this in a forum sucks, post back please what you find.

edit: OK, not PK

Edited by wardog - 07 Jan 2016 at 7:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic