ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AR Fatal1ty 970 Performance- RAM compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR Fatal1ty 970 Performance- RAM compatibility
    Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 12:43am
Dear Members,

Happy new year first of all!

I am checking the compatible RAM for this board and I'm extremely surprised about the listed RAM... First of all there are very few listed / tested

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20970%20Performance/?cat=Memory

Almost none of them is findable in the market either because they simply never existed in Europe either because they are completely obsolete (released in 2009 - 2010...).

Do any of you know if there is an updated list somewhere?

Or, can you please tell me if that MoBo is compatible with this RAM:

HyperX Fury HX318C10FRK2/8? Kingston says it does but I know it's not always reliable

Or this one?

Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9. I know the MSI 970 and 990FX MoBos are compatible with this RAM

Thank you very much!

Edited by dinin70 - 05 Jan 2016 at 12:44am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 12:51am
Your best bet is to check the RAM's compatibility lists. The listings for motherboards typically don't get updated after release unless a new feature is added via BIOS.
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 5:45pm
Hi Xaltar,

Thank you for your reply but yet I'm very disappointed about this... I don't understand why AsRock puts so few efforts in indicating the customer what is or is not compatible with their MB. 

I even wonder if they care in any way...

The 970 Fatal1ty 3.0 is a recent MotherBoard, less than 2 years old... And compatible RAM are all more than 5-6 years old... WTH??

I mean... 2 years MoBo with 5-6 years RAM????? It is not a "timing issue". If MoBo was released 2 years ago, why is it compatible with so much obsolete RAM (or simply unfinable in Western Europe)? Why no recent RAM (2 years old) is listed?

This means 2 things:
- either it is built on a very old architecture (I'm too noob to know anything on this side) and it simply doesn't support recent RAM.
- either they didn't even bother checking compatibility with recent RAM

And it's not specially AMD problem since as mentionned earlier at least MSI provides a much more "recent" list of compatible RAM for equivalent board.

The problem is that I own this MoBo and that I'm suffering several BSOD (even when computer is iddle, messages being: system_service_exception; Kmode_exception_not_handled; IRQL_not_less_or_equal with faulty drivers being tcpip.sys; win32kfull.sys; ntoskernel.exe). 

Troubleshooted all ways possible... Disabling WiFi card, staying on Ethernet. Disabling Ethernet and staying on WiFi. Putting my old ASUS 5870 (that always worker perfecly on Intel Chipset) instead of my current Sapphire R9 380 (when switching, always usind Display Driver Uninstaller). Made all possible tests I know on Temperature, chkdsk, sfc scan, Memtest86.

All drivers up to date, Bios up to date, all firmwares up to date...

Reverted from Windows 10 to Windows 7 through a complete formatting. And yet I experience problems while Windows was 100% clean!! I succeeded in having a BSOD while making the very first step: as soon as Windows was launched for the first time --> install MoBo drivers. And PAF!! Crash!!

Obviously no Overcloaking, Windows is a paid licence, fully updated. 

Since I had BSOD even on iddle computer it cannot be Voltage problem.

Two things left then:
- MoBo is malfunctionning
- RAM is not compatible.

Before contacting the Technical support I at least wanted to make sure RAM is fine.

But since THERE IS NOT A SINGLE RAM from AsRock List findable in the market because they are way too old, what am I supposed to do?? 

Anyway it is clear, I am never going to buy an AsRock again... I will stay on Gigabyte and MSI... I regret so much having bought this MoBo...
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 7:05pm
It is literally IMPOSSIBLE for a motherboard manufacturer to have every stick of memory produced.

Then the time to test each new to market stick on a board? No, labor intensive.

OP, instead, relieve your fears. If a memory manufacture states their product as certified/compatible run with it.

It's far easier for a memory manufacturer to buy what little motherboards there are than for a motherboard manufacturer to buy an ever expanding number of new and forthcoming memory sticks.

The memory manufacturers have a vested interest in telling customers, You, that their product is compatible.

As I said, if the manufacturer states it compatible, run with it. If there is a problem, they will make it right. G.Skill is outstanding in regards to this. As are the others also. They, memory manufacturers, WANT to sell to you and make you a happy customer.

But to lay blame on ASRock is misguided. For the reasons I state above.

We do not look to our cars manufacturer, Chevrolet for instance, to dictate what tires can and cannot fit our vehicle. Nor should we expect ASRock to dictate what memory can and cannot be used on their motherboard.

dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:40pm
Hello Wardog,

I absolutely get your point.

I understand AsRock cannot run all RAM available on the market. As you say there are thousands! 

The problem I have with this is that in the end, if you have a Hardware problem, like I do, you are pretty sure to be in a difficult position because no matter what you do:

- it is almost impossible to find the reason of the defect when ALL tests provide you "OK" results.
- if you have no Voltage pike, all tests are "OK", no overcloak, all drivers, bios, firmwares, updates up to date.
- if you have tested all hardware except, obviously, CPU and MoBo...
- what do you have left?

Going to the MoBo Manufacturer and say: "listen pal, your MoBo doesn't function". And what can be the obvious answer? "you are not using a RAM that we tested, the MoBo is fully OK".

And then guess what? You are *biiip* because there is no way to find any in the market because they are way too old... So no way to prove there's something wrong with the MoBo. That's the frustrating thing. Not that AsRock would be lying, but I'm not even sure myself that the MoBo has a problem unless I change all other hardwares (PSU, CPU and RAM).

And in the end, if it is the MoBo that caused me so much problems, I would have spent for nothing extra 300EUR... + probably an extra 120EUR to replace the MoBo...

But you are right, I shouldn't blame AsRock for providing a limited RAM list and I shouldn't say anything about warranty before I checked with them if the MoBo has something wrong.

I'm just superfrustrated... I spent I don't know how many hours troubleshooting, replacing, testing, formatting, installing, uninstalling, mounting, unmounting that now, except replacing hardwares there is nothing I can do. It is impossible to troubleshoot a MoBo: "check your drivers, check your ram compatibility, replace hardwares, are all updates installed, use this fix, use Memtest, use sfc scannow, check your psu, check your voltage, uncache the BIOS, reinstall windows, untick this box when installing the driver, check your bios, check your chipset temperature, install the drivers from net directly and not from the CD since they are obsolete and so on for a looooong time".

I ordered the Kingston. If there is still a problem I'll send back the MoBo to AsRock.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 9:42pm
Dinin70, list out the parts inside your case, including the PSU and its age if you would please.

I feel your frustration. Been there, done that. Many times.

Have you rum MemTest on/against your memory? That would be a good place to start if you haven't yet.

And BTW, just what specific memory do you have installed at the moment. NM, I'll learn that when you list out the components you're using.

I'm thinking it's a memory compatability issue, so if you care to, we can do some diagnosing before you tear into her and send a good motherboard back, just to get it back and have the same issue with your current components.

dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 10:32pm

Hi Wardog,

Thank you for your proposal. Here is my complete rig:

CPU: FX8350 - 3 months old

CPU cooler: vertical Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo - 3 months old

MoBo: AsRock 970 Fatal1ty Performance 3.0 - 3 months old

RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 - 2x4Gb 1600 Ram C9 - set @ 1333mhz in BIOS - 2.5/3 years old

PSU: 750W Corsair (I think it is the CX Bronze) - pretty old: 5 years old

Graphic Card: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB GDDR5 OC - 2 months old

Primary Hard drive:  Samsung SSD 850EVO 256GB - 3 months old.

Secondary Hard drive: 5y old HDD that has no system files, only pictures, documents and so on.

Wifi Card: Asus PCE AC56: 2 months old

Case: 5years old Antec Twelve hundred (3 front 12cm fans, 2 rear 12cm fans, 1 top bigger fan)

Softwares:

Windows 7, 64 Home

Office 2016

Microsoft Antivirus since Bitdefender 2016 was causing me severe problems (it was even blocking I.E.11)

Driver booster 3

I did run every kind of test I know, none of them provided any issue:

Memtest86

Sfc scannow

Chkdsk

Furmark for GPU temperature checked through Sapphire TriXX: with custom Fan setting it never goes above 60C.

CPU and MB Temperature, I check it through F-Stream after gaming or tests: always cool, always saw it lower than 50C

I would like to run as soon as possible Video Memory Test but I don't believe it will provide any issue.

All my stuff is updated, all the latest drivers, BIOS, firmwares, updates.

My issues, to make it short: 3 months ago I had to change motherboard so I decided to undertake a major upgrade. After having plugged everything, I installed with no issues at all Windows 7 and installed on the top of it Windows 10.

I started then suffering a lot of BSOD.

Youtube seemed to be a major cause. However, BSOD / general freezes could happen anytime. While copy pasting files, while gaming, even while doing nothing at all!!! Sometimes BSOD occur very quickly, sometimes not. Updating AMD Gaming Evolve was causing for sure BSOD and was causing important issues. This makes thinking about Graphic Card issues, but it's not. It happened even when I switched with my old ATI 5870 (always using Display Driver Uninstaller) that always functioned perfectly on Intel Chipset.

BSOD messages were mostly: KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, SYSYTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION, IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

Faulty files drivers were mainly: win32kfull.sys; tcpip.sys; and ntoskernel.exe was always pointed out from the minidump.

Important to know that BSOD occurred even though I changed slots for the RAM; switching between Graphic Cards (my old ASUS 5870HD); switching between Ethernet and Wifi Card.

I thought Windows 10 could be the issue so I formatted everything to revert to Windows 7. I did that the day before yesterday.

I had to install it twice (from scratch) because the first time I had .NET Framework and MOM.EXE issues and Windows Updates didn't install at all. I suffered BSOD while updating the Graphic Card Drivers. Fed up, I decided to reinstall Windows.

The second time I installed Windows 7 I had an issue once: after having installed Windows, before doing anything else I had a BSOD while installing the AsRock Drivers from the CD, during the Ethernet Driver installation. Since then, it looks a bit better. Could update with no issue the last Graphic Card Drivers, the BIOS update went smooth, Driver Booster installed with no problems all the remaining drivers. Windows update installed almost everything by now with no issue.

However I don't have much hope since I had no issues installing Windows 7 the very first time and since I already, during this session, suffered a BSOD (when installing the Motherboard Drivers).

Here is for the full topic

J

Thank you in advance for your help!

Edited by dinin70 - 05 Jan 2016 at 10:36pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:28pm
tcpip.sys is a network related file and you had issues with installing the network driver when you performed a fresh install. Bad network drivers can cause BSODs along the lines you mentioned and so can an intermittent cable fault. If there is an intermittent short in your LAN cable it can cause data corruption over the LAN and that can cause issues in the OS when certain things are happening, like streaming a youtube video for example.

Try replacing the LAN cables on your system, both to your router and from your ISP if possible. It may not be the root of your problem but given the evidence it is a good place to start.
dinin70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dinin70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:46pm
Hi Xaltar,

This is exactly the reason why I think there is a problem on the Motherboard... Why:

- had issues when installing the Ethernet Drivers
- had issues when installing / updating the Graphic Card Drivers
- had tcpip.sys related BSOD.

It cannot be the cable, the Ethernet adapter on the Computer or the router. Why?

- Most of the time my computer is on WiFi
- Cable is present only when I need to update the Asus WiFi Card drivers

At this point we could think in fact the problem comes from the cable between the Wall and the Router. It would make sense since I have BSOD while cabled and equally while on Wifi. But the issue cannot come from the router. Why?

- Because I experienced same BSODs, while on cable or on WiFi, while I was at a Friends place, troubleshooting my computer.

That's why I believe it is a Motherboard issue or something related to it:
--> CPU malfunctioning?
--> RAM incompatibility?
--> or maybe even PSU even though I don't see why while I was on Intel chipset I had no issues. It would really be unluck that issues appear on the PSU exactly when I switch chipset! To recall, it is a 750W and I'm not overclocking anything so it should be way enough for my computer. Furthermore, BSOD appeared equally when computer was idle.

However, PSU instability could make sense. Maybe there were problems on the PSU that burned my previous MoBo and CPU (5years old) and is now creating instability on my current Motherboard. Possible?

Edited by dinin70 - 06 Jan 2016 at 12:12am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 11:55pm
If the memory in the compatibility list is, as you said:

"The 970 Fatal1ty 3.0 is a recent MotherBoard, less than 2 years old... And compatible RAM are all more than 5-6 years old... WTH??"

Wouldn't that be the case because the AM3+ processors that are compatible with boards like yours are also of the same approximate vintage too? Or even older.

Yes the 970 Performance/3.1 board is a newer board, but the chipset it uses is not less than two years old, it is contemporary with the AM3+ processors that are compatible with it. The 970 chipset was released in 2011.

Still, I understand your frustration with the limited selection of the memory compatibility list. But understand that the memory must also be compatible with Phenom II, Athlon II, and Sempron processors, as the board is too. That may well limit the choices when overall compatibility is required.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic