ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z490m-ITX/ac cold boot no HDDs detected

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dominicc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dominicc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z490m-ITX/ac cold boot no HDDs detected
    Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 4:37am

Hi,

Ok, that explains it. Will this modification to the BIOS be in all future BIOS revisions now too?
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 2:58pm
Dear Dominicc,

We are glad that it solved the issue.

In the beginning, we weren't able to see the problem after a cold boot 3 times.
Thus, we thought that there might be insufficient power that caused this.

However, since you said that when install only one HDD will still happen. We decided to test it again and finally were able to reproduce the problem.

With the BIOS codes, we told the system to make sure that the HDD is detected before booting. That solved such an issue.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 30 Oct 2020 at 2:58pm
dominicc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dominicc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:01pm
Hi ASRock_TSD.

I confirm that the 1.30E BIOS, as posted in your last message, appears to have resolved the issue.

After upgrading the BIOS the bios update process powers the machine off and on. I went into the BIOS and saw all the HDD's were correctly detected.

I shutdown the machine, waited a few seconds and then booted up again and went into the BIOS, again all the HDD's were detected.

I repeated this 2 more times and every time all the HDD's were detected correctly.

Many thanks for prompt response and resolution of the issue.

Can I please ask what prompted you to re-investigate the issue after first being unable to replicate the problem?

Can I also ask what was the underlying problem that was fixed in the new BIOS, do you have more technical details?
dominicc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dominicc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 6:33pm
Hi,

I'm glad you were able to replicate the issue.

Thanks for the continued support and investigation.

I will give this a try later today and report back.
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 1:39pm
Dear Dominicc,

Thanks for your patience.

We have been checking this case and found that the HDD will disappear randomly after a cold boot.

A special BIOS 1.30E has been released to solve this. Kindly download and flash the BIOS and try.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KxQUK-zsa4dMLdWMibhcq4BYl2eXNj9P/view?usp=sharing

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
dominicc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dominicc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 4:27am
Hi AsRock_TSD,

Please can you post full details of the toshiba disks that you have, a photo of the sticker on the drive and the output of `smartctl`, like I posted, would be helpful.

I have also contacted the retailer of the HDD's (Scan Computers) who also stock the ASRock z490M-ITX/ac, to see if they can help. My message to them was as follows:

"Hi,

All 4 of the 12TB Toshiba drives do not show up in the BIOS or any OS on a cold-boot on the ASRock z490M-ITX/ax with latest BIOS. They are all detected on a WARM reboot (e.g. enter and exit bios), and otherwise work fine.

I contacted Toshiba about this, no response.
I contacted ASRock about this, after following their instructions they said 'contact your supplier'...

Forum post here:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16981&PID=80689

HDD info here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mxXiRfEuQqLFZDvecyB01C9qu6rmr86j/view?usp=sharing

Photos and videos here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zXAcaHaPpA7QkT7k6

Please can you confirm that the drives you have work with the ASRock z490M-ITC/ac?

Do you have any other suggestions not already covered by ASRock?"

I await their and your response.
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 4:19pm
Dear Dominicc,

Thanks for letting us know.

We will test with the configuration once again.
We will keep you updated.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

dominicc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dominicc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by ASRock_TSD ASRock_TSD wrote:

Dear Dominicc,

Thanks for the reply.

The Toshiba HDD that we tested is also FW0101.

We have some more suggestions for you.
1. Please refer to the page. 21 to clear the CMOS.
   https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z490M-ITXac.pdf
2. Please remove all of the storage devices only install the one Toshiba HDD and try.
3. If possible, please try with a different power supply.

Hi,

As expected:
1) on the first boot, after CMOS was cleared, which was *much* slower than a normal cold boot, the HDD *was* detected. On the *second* cold boot, which was quicker, the HDD was NOT detected.
2) done, see videos on the link below, no change.
3) changing the power supply made no difference, see videos on the link below.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMHybOWPHtY3Xhm4356RWfdxhpg0a_CeDdRpIQhToOeD0NLSTSuh8-cTp4gsVFlMw?key=elEzWkdfVWZhbll4Uk4zREVlVHN4ekdySVAtVnFB

In my opinion, the BIOS is at fault as it is not waiting long enough for the HDD to become ready, prove me wrong.

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 28 Oct 2020 at 4:43pm
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 2:29pm
Dear Dominicc,

Thanks for the reply.

Since we tested Toshiba HDD without a problem, it can be a specific motherboard related.

The store should have access to different HDD/CPU/RAM to check the motherboard
with, if the problem is found, the store will have their policies on changing a new Z490M-ITX/ac motherboard for you.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 23 Oct 2020 at 2:30pm
dominicc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dominicc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 4:59am
Hi, thanks for the reply. However I'm *deeply* dis-satisfied with your last response.

1. When the machine was first powered on the CMOS was cleared.
2. The motherboard has already been powered on with no other devices installed and only a single HDD - all four drives were tested.
3. I tried a spare Corsair PSU and it made no difference.

I want to confirm that you're unable to help further and that I should 'contact my motherboard supplier', who will likely also be unable to help as they don't have as much in-depth access to ASRock technical resources as you?

Is there *really* nothing more you can help with?

When I contact my motherboard supplier what would you like me to say to them? What do you expect them to do that you cannot?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic