ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Taichi error codes, cant install windows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmaduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Taichi error codes, cant install windows
    Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 2:35am
I built my PC about 7months ago.

ASRock x570 Taichi
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
(2x8GB) 3200 Adata XPG Gammix D10 (AX4U320038G16-DB10) (*)
GPU(don't think it matters): Gigabyte Gtx 1660ti windblah blah..
PSU: Seasonic focus gx-650
Drives: 120gb SSD sata3 m.2, 2.5" 480gb SSD, 3.5" 2TB HDD

I added the 120 SSD just so I can have a separate drive for a linux distribution, which ran in dual boot (grub) alongside Windows 10 (which used the other 2 drives).
The linux wouldn't boot all the time for some reason, didn't give it much thought, wasn't using it often anyway. This past week I also had problems with windows not booting up (I would select it in the grub bootloader, see the logo and then the pc would restart), so I figured that it might be grubs fault. I tried to look for ways to get rid of the bootloader, and then it hits me, I should get rid of the linux distribution altogether, so I open the disk management in windows and hit format on that mf -- I know, I know, big mistake.
And from here, everything starts rolling down the hill. I couldn't get past the grub rescue screen, so I just try to re-install windows and get rid of it all. First attempt failed, the PC restarted several times during the installation process (at times it wasn't supposed to), I could never get past the secret questions screen (that's where it will always restart). So I figure it must be the XMP, the system isn't stable for some reason. And here I'll make note of the (*) mark - I could never get the ram to run at the advertised speed (it always BSOD) so I had it running at 3134 (it was working fine, seemed stable to me).
Now, after other several attempts, dozens of forums, I still am unable to get past the question selection of windows (it always restarts during that step) and makes the installation fail. But these times I paid attention to the mb codes: 4F, 60 were the ones that worried me the most. After each restart it will hang on one of these codes, or others, then it may restart again, or try to continue to a failure screen from windows, and I am caught in this loop.
From other forums I was able to narrow down the suspects to the CPU, RAM and PSU, I guess the mb could also be included, idk for sure. So I try several troubleshooting methods:
- clear cmos
- reseat cpu
- tried only cpu and a single ram stick (this is where I noticed one of them might have been at fault) - it blocked on code 10 on mb and would always restart (didn't try to see if it posts, even in bios with this one). The other ram stick blocked on code 0d. I used this one to see if I can get it to post, and it did, so I try again the instalation, and again it fails, on the same step (selecting the secret questions). It always restarts several times there , hanging on different codes and making the instalation fail.

I think it's worth to mention that it would never restart while in bios.
That's all the information I managed to put together, if any kind folk is able to help, it'll be greatly appreciated. This is my first forum post ever, if there's missing information, just ask and I shall answer.

Thank you!
NoNameHere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNameHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:33pm
What BIOS version are you on?

I think latest BIOS (3.60) introduced a problem with the Intel I211 network card where windows would hang and soon thereafter restart when it tried to install the driver for it. The problem would only became obvious on (re)installs.

You could try flashing 3.00 BIOS to see if anything changes
Marmaduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmaduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 3:12pm
I checked it when I created the ticket, it was P1.60,I haven't ever tried to update the bios.
NoNameHere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNameHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 1:28pm
Oh, so that's probably not it.

You still should try updating the BIOS to 3.00 nevertheless - who knows, it may set different memory subtimings and suddenly become stable.

Updating is as easy as unzipping the image onto a fat32 flash drive and entering the flashing tool in the BIOS. If anything, you can roll back to the previous version by just flashing the older version again. Beware that all BIOS setting are lost though, and saved profiles from different BIOS versions are incompatible.
Marmaduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmaduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by NoNameHere NoNameHere wrote:

Oh, so that's probably not it.

You still should try updating the BIOS to 3.00 nevertheless - who knows, it may set different memory subtimings and suddenly become stable.

Updating is as easy as unzipping the image onto a fat32 flash drive and entering the flashing tool in the BIOS. If anything, you can roll back to the previous version by just flashing the older version again. Beware that all BIOS setting are lost though, and saved profiles from different BIOS versions are incompatible.

Thank you very much for the reply, NoNameHere!

I already went all in on the RAM and sent them for checking. I don't have any spare parts atm, I'll try to update to the specified BIOS version once I get it back, as that's the same answer I got from ASROCK_TSD on my ticket.

I'll post once I get the ram back.

All the best!
foxx1337 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote foxx1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 10:10pm
I discovered through arduous trial and error these past days that on P3.40 and on P3.60 Windows cannot be installed, nor AMD video drivers, if this setting here:

https://i.imgur.com/rL1qWSA.png

is set to "Disabled".
Ryzen 3900X, Taichi X570
Marmaduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmaduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 5:19pm
I got new RAM sticks, 2x8 GSkill RipjawsV F4-3600C16D-16GVKC - it doesn't appear on ASRock QVL but on GSkill's page the motherboard appears as compatible.
The previous RAM did prove faulty.
Updated the BIOS to P3.00 and attempted the OS install again. Same thing happened again, where the installation would work fine for like 2 minutes and then the PC would restart.
I'm leaning toward the PSU now, I will try to find a way to test with another PSU.
I will post an update after.
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:09am
Try removing the drive the will not have Win on it. Install Win to the remaining drive. Then install the removed drive.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Marmaduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmaduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:26am
Originally posted by RLGL RLGL wrote:

Try removing the drive the will not have Win on it. Install Win to the remaining drive. Then install the removed drive.

I did remove all drives except the one for the OS, also tried different drives, same behavior.
Marmaduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmaduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 11:23pm
UPDATE: I managed to install the OS in the 2 minutes that the system works. Tested a new power supply, it still restarts, even if it stays idle.
When in BIOS and Safe Mode it works fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic